PDA

View Full Version : Please send Missy a postcard

September skies
08-16-2007, 03:35 AM
There is a mannequin near my home in front of a restaurant-supply store (about two blocks from my house) She sits out there every day - dressed in a professional chef coat and chef hat. We call her "Missy" and ever since the kids were little, we'd wave at her every time we drove by. (started as a joke 10 years ago - I told them she was a real person who was out there)

While in Hawaii recently, one daughter said, "Lets send Missy a postcard" -- so we did and we had such fun, we have sent her cards from everywhere we have gone since -- Texas, Oregon, east coast.

We never really say who we are, just that we are thinking of her and hope that someday she can join us or that someday she can take a trip or we just ask how she is and how the restaurant business is going, etc. Very G-rated. Nothing bad.

It suddenly reminded me of the gnome story (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_gnome_prank)-- obviously we can't steal "Missy" to photograph her all over the world - she's human size - not a little gnome.

But I do wonder what the heck the business owner must think every time a card comes in. We've sent at least a dozen.

So, here is my request: If you can, can you please send "Missy" a postcard from where ever you live? And when you do - let me know here so that I can keep track as to how many states are sending (sent) a card. I'd love for her to get them from all over - from California to Seattle to New York to Florida - and from other countries too -- from Canada to Mexico and across the oceans from India to Australia - where ever you all are. You don't have to write much, "hello from Alabama" or whatever state or country will suffice.

But PLEASE - if you do write something -- keep it very clean.

Send a postcard to:

Miss Mannequin
C/O Handley's Restaurant Equiptment
400 N. Johnson St.
Visalia, CA 93291

I'll keep an eye on the newspaper and see if they ever write a story on this. :)

Thanks, guys.
I don't believe we'd be doing anything illegal - just sending friendly cards. :snoopy:

KTC
08-16-2007, 03:36 AM
That is SO awesome! Count me in!

September skies
08-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Yeeahhh. Thanks, Kevin!

Soccer Mom
08-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Ooh! Ooh! I'm in! :D This is fun. Like a Flat Stanley! I love this!

CACTUSWENDY
08-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Love it.....will do it tomorrow.....what a great idea.

Would love to be a fly on the wall.......;)

Foinah
08-16-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm in! I'll send postcards to my friends all over so they can mail them to Missy as well.

England, New Zealand, Maine, NY, Texas...I may be able to swing Holland and Italy as well.

JennaGlatzer
08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
You're a trip, lady. How much postage are you supposed to put on postcards these days? (Last I sent a postcard, it was 14 cents. Yeah, I haven't sent postcards in a long time!)

Azraelsbane
08-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Darn, you just caught me at the end of my summer, during which I travel all over Europe! However, I will send her a postcard from home- The Mickey Mouse State (Florida).

September skies
08-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Oh my gosh! This is so coool. I just showed this thread to my daughters and you should have heard them laughing. They love it. Thank you all so much! I can't wait to see if I hear anything.

Jenna, postcard stamps are 26 cents now.

Thanks again everyone. You're all so great.

Susie
08-16-2007, 09:45 AM
That is very sweet and fun, Esther. If I can go to the p.o. (It's always too a long a line), I'll send one too. Bet you had fun in Hawaii.

Oberon
08-16-2007, 12:31 PM
I sat right down and wrote Missy a postcard, nice photo of an orange crate label, Western Queen, from Rialto. Maybe it's Missy holding the orange.
Reminds me of the time we posted signs along a road in Minnesota, "Chimo for Sheriff." Chimo was our dog. I always wondered how many votes he got.
Let's hear it for random acts of foolishness!

ErylRavenwell
08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
You gotta take a picture of the mannequin with all the postcards on it. Then link it to the forum. Make sure you focus the camera on the postcard from Melbourne (the one featuring Flinders station, the yellow train station). That's my postcard.:D

Angelinity
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
hah, love it! here's hoping the owners of the place are mentally stable...

really, if they were smart, they could get a lot of PR mileage out of this!!

on second thought, don't think it a good idea for Missy to receive mail from these parts... 'they' might start stalking the place...

The_Grand_Duchess
08-16-2007, 05:03 PM
OMG! I love random acts of silly! I have to get a postcard but I'll send one! Hehe! This is funny!

Can you imagine the resturant owners? Getting all these postcards. They'd be like, 'WTH?. . ."

Awesome!

jodiodi
08-16-2007, 05:30 PM
We'll do it. We travel a lot so we can send them from different places as well.

My husband and I have this life-size Legolas cut-out we bought (it's a long story) while we lived in Alaska and we take him everywhere and take pictures of him. We've got pics of him on our trip back from AK, pics at family reunions (He's just one of the crowd), at roadside stops. Instead of the Roaming Gnome, we call him our Exploring Elf.

benbradley
08-16-2007, 06:18 PM
You're a trip, lady. How much postage are you supposed to put on postcards these days? (Last I sent a postcard, it was 14 cents. Yeah, I haven't sent postcards in a long time!)
I was gonna say just put one of those Liberty Bell stamps on it, it'll always be good, but you may want to save money by using the postcard rate, and look it up as usps.com. Here it is:
http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/ratesandfees.htm#wp1008795

First-Class Mail
retail Letters AND CARDS

Weight
Not Over
(ounces)
Single-Piece1 (http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/ratesandfees.htm#Footnote_1_1251732)
$0.41

Hmm, looks like the postcard rate is now the same as the letter rate anyway...

September skies, there's a slight chance that your post could could be forwarded ... long story short, this Miss Mannequin could be the next Craig Shergold, or Sherwood, or whatever his name is. Check out Snopes...

September skies
08-16-2007, 07:20 PM
....$0.41 Hmm, looks like the postcard rate is now the same as the letter rate anyway...

The postcard rate is 26cents from U.S. - I don't know from other countries.

September skies, there's a slight chance that your post could could be forwarded ... long story short, this Miss Mannequin could be the next Craig Shergold, or Sherwood, or whatever his name is. Check out Snopes...

That would be cool! I had never heard of that site before but I just checked it out.

:) Thanks, everyone!

eta: Oh no! I just read about Craig Sherwood - don't want that! This is a bit simpler - just postcards saying hello to Missy.

Tracy
08-16-2007, 07:30 PM
What fun! I'll send one from Ireland, and we're going to Greece in a coupla weeks and I'll send one from there too. Make sure to link if it does get on the paper!

ETA: Don't know how I'm going to explain it to my husband though. The Irish one won't be a problem, I'll just do it next time I'm in town or whatever. But he'll see me sending postcards in Greece, and may well query our of curiosity. And I'll have to say: "I'm sending a postcard to a mannequin I've never seen, in a city I'll probably never be in, at the request of somebody I've never met on a forum that's supposed to be about writing."

Hmmm

Or maybe I'll say, "What? Did I never tell you about my friend Missy?? OMG I can't believe I neglected that. We go back so far, and we're so close - of course I send her a postcard."

Yeah, the latter I think.

September skies
08-16-2007, 08:32 PM
...Don't know how I'm going to explain it to my husband though. The Irish one won't be a problem, I'll just do it next time I'm in town or whatever. But he'll see me sending postcards in Greece, and may well query our of curiosity. And I'll have to say: "I'm sending a postcard to a mannequin I've never seen, in a city I'll probably never be in, at the request of somebody I've never met on a forum that's supposed to be about writing."
Hmmm
Or maybe I'll say, "What? Did I never tell you about my friend Missy?? OMG I can't believe I neglected that. We go back so far, and we're so close - of course I send her a postcard."

Yeah, the latter I think.

:ROFL:Tracy, I like you! That is funny.

The way we met Missy was by mistake - I took a wrong turn on the way to school and the girls asked where I was going - I said "I wanted to drive this way to wave at my friend Eleanor" -- and I pointed to her as we drove by. They said it was a fake person, I claimed she was real. We still call her Eleanor when we drive by and a postcard or two has her as Eleanor -- but then later, when we wrote Ms.Mannequin on the cards, somehow we started calling her Missy. Or I call her both. -- so take your pick. "Missy" is her nickname. I will drive by and photograph her later today so that at least you can see her standing guard at the door. :)

southernwriter
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
:) Love it. I should be able to get one from Graceland, or maybe Beale Street. I'll let you know when I have it in hand.

Bmwhtly
08-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Is Scotland far and exotic enough to excite some interest?

Let's hope so :)

September skies
09-02-2007, 06:43 AM
:snoopy: yeaa! More postcards for Missy. I went and got a cheap bulletin board and wrapped it. They are closed Monday, so I'm going to leave it at the front door with a note that it is for Missy -- so that she can put all her postcards on it -- just to see what happens.

Thanks everyone! And if you haven't sent her a postcard yet - please do. :)
Southernwriter - cool! And Bmwhtly - Scotland - how exciting.

I'd really like to know what the owner and people there are thinking or saying. Maybe I'll send a spy in to check it out.

southernwriter
09-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Okay, I picked up four post cards for Missy today. One with Elvis on it, one with Graceland, one of Beale Street, and one of the Pyramid. I'll get them in the mail next week, and will let you know when it's done.

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Ooo -ooo . . . me - me . . . I wanna play too!

September skies
09-02-2007, 07:04 AM
oh southernwriter - i could kiss you! Thanks. And thanks to Brookie too... what part of the country are you in, Cookie?

BrookieCookie777
09-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Next to the forrest in Georgia. . . I'll send her a postcard from the Piggly Wiggly! lol

southernwriter
09-02-2007, 06:28 PM
I went and got a cheap bulletin board and wrapped it. They are closed Monday, so I'm going to leave it at the front door with a note that it is for Missy -- so that she can put all her postcards on it -- just to see what happens.

I wouldn't (but that's just me). I'd let it remain a mystery. If you give them a board "for all her postcards," it implies there will be many, and reveals a plan. I would think it would be much more fun for the owners not to know how many there will be, or where they'll come from, or who's behind it, or why. Sometimes the best part of something is not knowing the "how or why" of it. They may also have security cameras around. And as for sending in a spy -- do they know you? Is there a reason why you couldn't go in yourself?

Danger Jane
09-02-2007, 07:34 PM
plz dont kill me if ur a stalker ill send ur postcard just i wanna live

wyntermoon
09-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Great idea and why not (after you go in and take a look around) write the piece yourself for the paper? ;)

skelly
09-02-2007, 08:24 PM
This sounds cool. I'm in with one from Oklahoma. But not the huge rabbit, I promise. :)

southernwriter
09-02-2007, 08:47 PM
This sounds cool. I'm in with one from Oklahoma. But not the huge rabbit, I promise. :)

What a beautiful avatar. Who is she?

skelly
09-02-2007, 08:52 PM
What a beautiful avatar. Who is she?
You're very kind. She's Alice Liddell, about (and for) whom Lewis Carroll wrote all those stories :)

eta: Here's a quick wiki link ALICE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Liddell), and for those who didn't catch it...I first said Robert Louis Stevenson. Geeez...

southernwriter
09-03-2007, 01:08 AM
You're very kind. She's Alice Liddell, about (and for) whom Lewis Carroll wrote all those stories :)

eta: Here's a quick wiki link ALICE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Liddell), and for those who didn't catch it...I first said Robert Louis Stevenson. Geeez...

Alice in Wonderland! No wonder Carroll was so taken with her. Little Miss Liddell get a mention in my novel, too. Imagine how many others she's inspired!

wyntermoon
09-03-2007, 03:18 AM
and for those who didn't catch it...I first said Robert Louis Stevenson. Geeez...

That, er, happens to the best of us. :e2smack:

southernwriter
09-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Mailed my postcards about an hour ago.

akiwiguy
09-05-2007, 03:57 AM
I swear this place is making me friggin insane.

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t158/itismeinnz/postcard0017-1.jpg

September skies
09-05-2007, 08:33 PM
:snoopy: Oh my gosh! I drove by Missy Mannequin this morning, and there she was - as always - but this time she held a sign: "Thank you for the postcards"

I couldn't see what it said at first but I laughed so hard. I went around the block and drove by slowly to take a second look. If anyone could see me, I'm sure they would think I was stalking the place.

I will make sure and take my camera when I go out again and I will drive by and photograph her.

David: I love your postcard! I'm sure you've given Missy some hope and much-needed attention with what you wrote. That was so sweet and so funny.

Don't you wonder what those people at work are thinking? I hope to find out some day. Not sure I could ever write the story for the paper because I started it. I looked her up on Google and there she was on the first page....but it was my blog and aw entries.

Thanks again everyone! You've all been such great sports about this!

September skies
09-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't (but that's just me). I'd let it remain a mystery. If you give them a board "for all her postcards," it implies there will be many, and reveals a plan. I would think it would be much more fun for the owners not to know how many there will be, or where they'll come from, or who's behind it, or why. Sometimes the best part of something is not knowing the "how or why" of it. They may also have security cameras around. And as for sending in a spy -- do they know you? Is there a reason why you couldn't go in yourself?

Oh - by the way, thanks. I saw this in time and decided you are right. I did not drop it off. Let them keep guessing. I've never been there so I'm not sure if it is set up as a real store - they have large restaurant equipment. Though I could go in and pretend I'm looking for big cooking pans or something. Then they can tell me they don't carry that and that's that - but at least I could take a look around and see if I see the postcards anywhere on display.

akiwiguy
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
David: I love your postcard! I'm sure you've given Missy some hope and much-needed attention with what you wrote. That was so sweet and so funny.

Ha ha ha ha! Yesterday I was in the kitchen making a coffee and my wife went to get my ringing cell phone... yes, the cell phone that was lying next to a certain postcard. She comes in looking ashen faced... "David, what's going on? Who is this Missy?" I had a major coffee-out-my-nose moment.

JoNightshade
09-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Ha ha ha ha! Yesterday I was in the kitchen making a coffee and my wife went to get my ringing cell phone... yes, the cell phone that was lying next to a certain postcard. She comes in looking ashen faced... "David, what's going on? Who is this Missy?" I had a major coffee-out-my-nose moment.

Oh man... this reminds me of a story. :) For my work we did a little postcard marketing campaign that was supposed to be "personal." I hand-wrote them. Only when I got a really, REALLY angry phone call from a woman who wanted me to stop having an affair with her husband did we realize that the text we used, if read from a certain POV, could be rather suggestive.

This also happened with an email or two. At work I am now known as the home-wrecker. ;)

southernwriter
09-06-2007, 05:20 AM
I can't wait to see a picture of Missy. And I'm glad you decided against the bulletin board. :)

akiwiguy - that's hilarious! Did you have to show her this thread?

And Jo, yours is a funny story, too.

September skies
09-06-2007, 05:53 AM
I can't wait to see a picture of Missy..

I'm sorry - I pulled across the street, took out my camera and must have done it too quick. I drove off and I looked at it later. It is not very clear and you can't see what the sign says. I will go tomorrow and redo it correctly.

akiwiguy: that is so funny.
Jo: yours too. you homewrecker.

I've always been a bit of a joker. About two years ago I "kidnapped" an oscar mayer weiner from my neighbor's antenna. (I had an oakland A's ball on mine and someone stole it and he had been bragging to the neighborhood that no one had ever touched his) So one evening, I stole it. Then I started sending ransom-type notes - with all of the letter written by cut-out words from newspapers. It was hilarious. For two weeks, I kept up the messages. I used to get boys driving by on bicycles to take him the notes - I'd give them a dollar to deliver the note as long as they didn't say. Actually, not ransom really, since I didn't ask for any money or anything. Once I put tape on the weinie's mouth and then took a picture of it next to the day's newspaper to "prove" he was still alive. And finally, I had a Limo driver pull up to the house, open the back door, and deliver the little guy back. (limo driver lived in the neighborhood and often brought the limo home for a few hours) And for a year he did not know who had done it - until one of my daughters accidentally said it.

southernwriter
09-06-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm sorry - I pulled across the street, took out my camera and must have done it too quick. I drove off and I looked at it later. It is not very clear and you can't see what the sign says. I will go tomorrow and redo it correctly.

akiwiguy: that is so funny.
Jo: yours too. you homewrecker.

I've always been a bit of a joker. About two years ago I "kidnapped" an oscar mayer weiner from my neighbor's antenna. (I had an oakland A's ball on mine and someone stole it and he had been bragging to the neighborhood that no one had ever touched his) So one evening, I stole it. Then I started sending ransom-type notes - with all of the letter written by cut-out words from newspapers. It was hilarious. For two weeks, I kept up the messages. I used to get boys driving by on bicycles to take him the notes - I'd give them a dollar to deliver the note as long as they didn't say. Actually, not ransom really, since I didn't ask for any money or anything. Once I put tape on the weinie's mouth and then took a picture of it next to the day's newspaper to "prove" he was still alive. And finally, I had a Limo driver pull up to the house, open the back door, and deliver the little guy back. (limo driver lived in the neighborhood and often brought the limo home for a few hours) And for a year he did not know who had done it - until one of my daughters accidentally said it.

That's funny, too. :roll:

September skies
09-08-2007, 09:27 AM
She says "thank you" for all the cards you have all sent.

Darn it! I have tried and tried and I can't get her full picture (with thank you sign) to appear here.
But you can click here (http://midnightwritings.blogspot.com/) and go to my blog and see it. Scroll to the bottom of the entry. :)

nancy sv
09-08-2007, 07:49 PM
I bet the owners are going crazy trying to figure this one out!! I'll pick one up from Boise today!!

southernwriter
09-09-2007, 02:13 PM
She's a beauty!

aruna
09-09-2007, 02:26 PM
She'll get one from Germany in a few days...

threedogpeople
09-09-2007, 03:48 PM
She'll get one from Beautiful Vancouver Island but I'll have to go buy it.

Reminds me of a trip that my hubby and I took. A friend of ours had a book published so we took it with us and took pictures of it everywhere we went. Then we sent them to our friend with a note.

I love random silly.....

aruna
09-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Here's my message to Missy:
Dear Missy,
it was great talking to you the other day. I was so excited to hear about your promotion - good luck to you! Wish you were here with us in Germany. Ted's health is holding up well. Give Tammy a BIG hug from her favourite Aunty! Lots of love, dear, Lynne.
The postcard is a photo of St Michael's Church here in Schwaebisch Hall with the Great Staircase.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ky00DK2q14pmAM:http://delernen.de/deutschland/staedte/images/schwaebischhall3_big.jpg

southernwriter
09-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Here's my message to Missy:
Dear Missy,
it was great talking to you the other day. I was so excited to hear about your promotion - good luck to you! Wish you were here with us in Germany. Ted's health is holding up well. Give Tammy a BIG hug from her favourite Aunty! Lots of love, dear, Lynne.
The postcard is a photo of St Michael's Church here in Schwaebisch Hall with the Great Staircase.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ky00DK2q14pmAM:http://delernen.de/deutschland/staedte/images/schwaebischhall3_big.jpg

Is that the spiral staricase without the center support?

aruna
09-10-2007, 12:46 PM
No - they are 54 grands stone steps (http://www.schwaebischhall.de/en/tourism/a-stone-divas-birthday.html) leading up to the church, built in 1507. They are quite famous, and every year there's an open air theatre staged there.

southernwriter
09-10-2007, 12:54 PM
No - they are 54 grands stone steps (http://www.schwaebischhall.de/en/tourism/a-stone-divas-birthday.html) leading up to the church, built in 1507. They are quite famous, and every year there's an open air theatre staged there.

Nice.

September skies
10-31-2007, 06:48 AM
Well - no story ever done on Missy.

But she sure looks happy out there - and she's still wearing the "thank you" sign on her chest.

I bet Missy thinks of that one postcard from New Zealand (David's) - the one that says he will come and scoop her out of here and take her to live with him.
(sure wish I knew what the owners think) :)

Hillary
10-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Am I too late? I can send one from sunny Cape Cod.

September skies
10-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks, Hillary! :) That'll keep those people guessing. Just when they think they stopped, another one comes in. :snoopy:

Hillary
10-31-2007, 04:13 PM
Good. I always like to be hideously late with things. Fashionably late is SO overdone.

nancy sv
10-31-2007, 08:50 PM
I still think you should write this up for your local paper. Maybe you could even identify yourself as the instigator of it, and explain how it all came about. I bet there a few folks around your town who are mighty curious!