Comfort Books?

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I have books that I read like I eat comfort food. I don't mean like I eat JUNK food, BTW. Comfort's different.

PG Wodehouse books. 'The Good Companions'. The Damon Runyon books.

They're just well-written and put a smile on my face and don't dip into darkness (though generally I do like horror and dark themes re 'We Need to Talk about Kevin'); there's nothing there to depress you, including bad writing or boring execution.

Anyone else have comfort books?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely. Terry Pratchett's Discworld books are very much comfort reading, for me. As are the Sherlock Holmes stories. I love losing myself in them.

Simon Woodhouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwoodhouse.com
I'm not sure if they're comforting, but Iain M Banks' sci-fi novels all have a familiar feel to them. Though his characters and environments are always different in each book, it's reassuring to get a sense of overall coherence. As a reader, you know you can trust him.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, like the rest of you only read for intellectual advancement...:) i know y'all are curled up with...'Anne of Green Gables' or something.

RedandGold

Registered
Reaction score
I have a few series of books that I read when I need some comfort - the JD Robb books, the Harry potter series, and a few others

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward
How Much For Just the Planet? by John M. Ford

Almost anything by Lois McMaster Bujold, but especially A Civil Campaign

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Wodehouse, definitely. Jane Austen, pretty much anything. And I never realized this before, but I tend to turn to nonfiction a lot for comfort reading, especially books about science.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Congreve's All for Love (a Restoration comedy)
Medieval mystery and miracle plays
Anything by Patricia Wentworth
Georgette Heyer's mysteries (NOT her Regencies)

I know entire chunks of these by heart, and they're like slipping into a comfortable pair of flannel pants and shirt on a cool day.

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
I actually DO read Anne of Green Gables for comfort... Also, the whole Laura Ingalls Wilder-series, as well as many other "books for girls" from the 20's-50's. Nothing truly bad ever happens in them.

The Moomin books rank high in comfort, too.

Reaction score
YA books. I bought Grace Dent's Diary of a Chav: Slinging the Bling last night. It's the second of a three-parter and she can't publish them fast enough for my liking; they're so funny.

Also GWTW. How many times have I read that now? Forever Amber, likewise. I love historical doorstoppers like that. Also, Karleen Koen's Through a Glass Darkly is wonderful.

A couple of years ago when I had flu (NOT a cold. I mean proper flu) my dad bought me a copy of Anna Karenina and I was too weak to lift the book for longer than it took to read two pages at a time! When I began to feel better I propped myself up on pillows and sat it on my lap to read. But I always seem to revert to that book when I come down with a cold now!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Books are too long for me to be comforting. :) I need instant gratification. I usually go for my favorite sentimental movies.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Alexander McCall Smith.

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
Dubliners is pretty comforting. Ulysses is comfort reading too, once you've been through it once, and can go back to any of your favorite parts just to "visit" for awhile.

The Hobbit, Sherlock Holmes, Heart of Darkness, also come to mind as books with which I can just nestle into the couch on a cold day and relax.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Call me wierd, but I reallllllly enjoyed reading At Home In Milford by Jan Karon. I could smell the greasy food at the diner, I could feel the dew in the air as the MC walked through town, I could smell the flowers, I could feel the mud splash up from Barnaby (was that his name...?) That was my comfort book. I know, I'm odd. No real crime, no murdering sprees, no sexual innuendos, no naughty words, no hate, just plain ole life in a small town with friends.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli or A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray.

Actually anything I've ever read before and loved. Lots of books.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Pratchett, romantic comedies by Jennifer Cruisie, and for 'you can do it' inspiration, The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio. Used to love Lilian Jackson Braun's books for cuddly, warm fuzzies that require no thought, but the last few books took a weird turn, never solving the mystery.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I like to read Nero Wolfe books whenever I don't have enough patience, time, or presence of mind for anything else. It's formulaic, I like revisiting the characters, and it's a simple read.

I also have a collection of graphic novels that I will read periodically.

Oh... there's this manga. Fruits Basket. If you want to read something that just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, there you go. I have volumes 5-17. Good show, too.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wodehouse, Pratchett, Georgette Heyer's mysteries - agree 100%. Also Sayers, Allingham, Patricia Wrede, MM Kaye's mysteries, Emma Lathen, Dana Stabenow, Margaret Maron, Emma Goldrick (old Harlequin author), Phoebe Atwood Taylor, Elizabeth Peters. I'm a huge re-reader of old favourites.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Most Mercedes Lackey and Tamora Pierce. Most of their books are oddly comforting for me -- I'm a big fan of rereading books for comfort. :)

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
I actually DO read Anne of Green Gables for comfort... Also, the whole Laura Ingalls Wilder-series, as well as many other "books for girls" from the 20's-50's. Nothing truly bad ever happens in them.

The Moomin books rank high in comfort, too.

I used to love the Anne and the Little House books. I might look one out down the bookshop tomorrow.