PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so... is this LSW? And if so, Now What?

dclary
08-16-2007, 02:07 AM
As an exercise, I sat down and tried to draft what I would consider an LSW piece. Following is that entry. My question would be (besides any critical analysis or review you might have): assuming this is a viable LSW work, now what? What kind of magazines or other media buy these kinds of works? Is there a commercial market for this?

Questions I'm sure we all have.

My story, below:

is now in the new SYW LSW FORUM! THANKS MAC!

Susan B
08-16-2007, 06:39 AM
Hi dclary,

Nice to have you in this "room."

Well, looks like this may be discussed in the thread shwebb started below: Essay, or short memoir episodes? I confess I haven't read that one closely, but it might merit a look.

I'd consider this personal essay, part of the broader category of "creative nonfiction"--which also includes memoir. I don't know if "memoir" has to be book length or not. I don't know that the label matters, really.

Looks like the kind of thing that is published a lot in newspapers--readers sending in personal experiences. I love reading this kind of thing.

If you post in "Share Your Work" the only category would be "Nonfiction" it appears.

Susan

RLB
08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Or humor. I really enjoyed this, though the last paragraph took on a serious/reflective tone that I was unprepared for. You could consider ending with "I miss that car."

There's several people in the humor section of SYW that write these sort of essays, and I think most of them seek publication in newspapers, though I've read these type of things in magazines too.

Shwebb
08-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Sometime soon, we'll have a new category in SYW. I think Mac or ChunkyC is working on doing that.

There certainly is a market for this sort of work, Dave. Check out "Front Porch Syndicate"'s website--here are their submission guidelines.

http://www.porchsyndicate.com/contributors.htm

And look at this, lifted from that page:

"OH, THAT CAR: evocative true stories about a first car. Length: 500-800 words."