PDA

View Full Version : Poetry Dot CON !!!!

Reece10
07-01-2002, 06:24 PM
I got an email today from poetry.com stating my poem which I sent to them a year ago when I didn't know they were a CON site was happily accepted by them and I was given the opportunity of a lifetime...to buy my own poem in a collection of poetry book! UGGHHH

Today I received an email stating I have been nominated for Poet of the Year 2002!! All I have to do to go to the ceremony is pay $595, air fare and hotel accomodation to Washington 23rd-25th!!!

Is this a joke at my expense????

Reece

Louise Van Hine
07-02-2002, 12:14 AM
It's not so much a con as it is a self-funding vanity business. They say what they mean insofar as they actually do run a contest, and they do publish a collection, and they do have an awards ceremony. But you're right in that they use the money from the publication and sale of the collection to publish it, so if you are under the impression that you 'really' won something and that you are really getting some benefit from it, no, not really. In other words, it's possible that at poetry.com, 'everybody wins.'

bertvanherck
07-02-2002, 07:56 PM
Got the same mail ... and the same feeling!!!

Published Poets
08-22-2002, 10:39 PM
The Writing and Poetry Mentors at
www.AskProfessors.com (http://www.AskProfessors.com)
say that good Poets, Authors, Reviewers, etc ALWAYS get paid for all their writing.

If you have to pay a publisher, think twice!

freelancer

Poeticjava
08-28-2002, 06:52 PM
I've gotten dozens of those letters also and it always seems strange to me that they would send a person that lives in Baltimore MD a payment choice of $595 to stay in DC (which is 45 mins. away) to get an award that I have to pay for. I have warned several of my writers (I own PoeticJava Publishingwww.write4us.com (http://www.write4us.com) ) against participating in this although I am grateful to them for giving me the opportunity to have some of my work posted on their site.

Amber
09-13-2002, 01:57 AM
Everyone i got the same letters. im 11 years old i post my poetry on that sight. i think its pretty good for my age but when i got those emails saying about the trip to california im like they must be joking. But i did order that book of poetry that published in but am i ever going to get it?

Ballerina
10-16-2002, 06:48 PM
Yes, It is a Con...

They, publish any-ones... Poetry...
I know. Because, I have been published
through them! They, even publish Giberish.

I was talking once to a very well known Artist,
He sent some garbage Poetry... to them...
Not, using any, names... He, said... they
offered to Publish is writing... in a Beautiful brown
bounded coffee table, top addition book!

Which, if you pay... them! They will publish it!

jcwoman26
12-20-2002, 05:14 AM
Is poetry-contest.com a scam as well?

mammamaia
12-20-2002, 10:46 AM
...if they tell you you're a winner or an honorary mention whatever and then tell you it's only $xx for a copy of the wonderful book they're gonna publish your work in... and/or if they charge you a fee of any kind... it's awful, but there's so many of these scumbag outfits out there... if you want to know how good your poems are or if they need work, you can email me at: maia3maia@hotmail.com

i mentor writers all over the world for free, no strings attached [but no prizes, either!!!]... love and hugs, maia

mammamaia
12-20-2002, 10:49 AM
sorry, honeybunch... just checked it out and sure enough, there were all those wonderful volumes of 'themed' poems for sale!... avoid them like the plague... m

jcwoman26
12-21-2002, 07:57 AM
Oh well. :lol Thank you!

BabyGotTheTalent2WriTe
01-05-2003, 12:44 AM
yea, poetry.com is a crock of DOO-DOO. lol. i hate it. like the first time i wrote sumthin on there n submitted it for their little contests, it got back to me n said i was a winner n blah blah blah blah blah. n i was soooo excited but also very suprised, cauze..well... the poem SUCKED lol. n then i sent another poem in, which was pretty good,but i won w/ that poem too. n then another weird thing was this girl at school i guess sent her poem in too, n she brought that paper saying she won or w/e she brought it to school showing everyone, n thats when i knew it was a scam, cauze her "poem" was AWFUL. well thats all, n yes its a scam, i think its evil if ya ask me..real evil. pisses me off too lol . latas,
-brittany-celeste-

bertiebert
01-11-2003, 01:27 PM
>: I hate scammers. They s--k big time! I have been scanned so often since I started on the net that I'd like to spit bullets at the ones that took my money. Yes, that poetry outfit caught my butt too. Damn. Cause what makes me the maddest is that when you are a writer, or an artist or both (like me) you thrive on praise and acceptance of your work. These cruds no this and use this weakness of ours to their advantage. My advice after all the money I lost and ego that was bruised is, LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP!
Find out about the site before you accept any offer, take up any kind of relationship or become affiliated.
Wow! There sure are a lot of hurtful people out there!:\
:\
Bertie

Sunanda
01-17-2003, 01:37 PM
seems like a lot of people have been scammed by poetry.com....me too! gosh it almost made me stop writing for a while! but naah that won't happen at any rate.... but there's gotta be some way to stop these scammers! any suggestions?

SpiralDragon
03-13-2003, 05:51 AM
got one in the post and two in email..... was about to send them money for the print thing but then i found out that two other people had the same thing.... so i stoped right there...

at first i was very hapy and the letter gave me a boost of moral... being dyslexic and getting "selected" for an award for my poetry.... when i found out that they where just milking the cow i got so depressed for a long long time... :(

JJ
04-11-2003, 11:18 AM
The Voicesnet contest is not a scam!

I am the contest director and we do a lot of good stuff at the site. Try us out at www.voicesnet.com and you will see. Anybody with doubts has not rubbed shoulders with any of our talented almost 1200 forum poets or our more than 3000 member mailing list.

Like I said, check out our details at www.voicesnet.com. We have nothing to do with poetry.com and do not run our contests like they do, if you check out the details.

We taking our judging very seriously and have declined almost 7000 poems in our first 15 months in business - sounds like a scam to me! Pardon my sarcasm.

Jeff Humphrey
Contest Director and Founder
Voicesnet.com

suzanne
04-16-2003, 08:47 PM
JJ. how many poems are received for each contest, and how many are published in the anthology?

JJ
05-29-2003, 10:15 PM
The cycle that closes today will have over 7000 poems judged (and yes, we actually read the poems and pick the best 70 or so from these and then the top 3).

About 700 will end up in the Anthology and these poets pay absolutely nothing to be in the book (and we don't try to sell vacation packages to them either - lol).

Hope this helps!

Jeff Humphrey
Founder and Contest Director
Voicesnet.com

wexfordpress
05-31-2003, 11:45 PM
As I said on another part of this list there are only two sensible ways to get poetry published today: publish it yourself and give the books away or submit to one of the jillions of "little magazines" listed in "Writers Market." They will pay you if at all in copies of the magazine.

For poetry the internet is a poor reaource. Visit your local library and read the good poets, then take a course on writing at the nearby community college. Just having the urge is not nearly enough. Poetry is a difficult craft for which there are no monetary rewards.

Now my question to the fellow with the contest. How do you make money from your enterprise?

John Culleton
BS English, 1960

missdynamite
06-13-2003, 01:43 AM
can someone plz tell me if this ''poetsonly.com is a scam too.......be very grateful for replys...many thx miss D :) :)

mammamaia
06-13-2003, 10:16 PM
all ya gotta do is take a quick look at their site and you'll see it just screams at ya, "we're here to fleece you, folks!... step right up and be the next in line to be taken for the fool you are if you truck with us!!!"

read the fine print and you'll probably find that they offer 'discounted' books or some other variant of the standard scam, along with that ubiquitous 'entrance fee' that is their bread and butter...

there are a few legit contests out there, but you'll find all the good ones are sponsored by on-the-up-and-up longtime respected magazines and/or publishers... and they won't offer to sell you anything!

love and hugs, maia

ps: if you want to know if your stuff is good enough to submit for publication, i mentor a lot of aspiring poets and i'll be glad to take a look... you can email me at: maia3maia@hotmail.com

mtlnavalta
07-01-2003, 03:07 AM
you can verify not just contests but publishers as well at www.writersweekly.com/war...nings.html (http://www.writersweekly.com/warnings/warnings.html) (when i found it, it had been last updated on 25 june 2003)

their page on poetry.com is a veritable litany of woes, so i didn't add mine :o

poetry-contest.com, poetsonly.com, and voicesnet.com are not on their list. however, poetry-contest.com is listed as a scam on poemkingdom.com/exposed.shtml. (http://poemkingdom.com/exposed.shtml.) i found it when i searched for "poetry-contest.com +scam". the same formula for poetsonly.com and voicesnet.com only led me back to this board. when i input just "poetry scam", google drowned me with 24,800 items.

at the end of writersweekly's page, they list other places where we can report non-paying publishers and scams that target writers, as well as suggested ways to fight back - short of scamming them in turn, of course...

mangledstar
07-22-2003, 02:01 AM
All I can say is thank goodness I found this post today. I received my first post letter from poetry.con today and I was extremely excited and fully prepared to send them money. I don't think that will be happening now. *whew*

erseguy
07-30-2003, 01:01 PM
In case no one has yet mentioned (at least I didn't see it above) "Noble House", be sure to avoid them at all costs! They look and sound impressive with their Empire State Bldg., London and Paris addresses, but they have nothing more than a single-page website with no links, no phone numbers and they DO NOT EXIST!! I've only been posting poetry online for two years and lamentably, I was victimized by them for about $80.00. So add one more to your list of "direct hits". p.s., I was put wise to poetry.com before they got a chance to scam me. Whew!

~erseguy

mammamaia
07-31-2003, 12:49 AM
...post that warning in its own thread, willya?... sounds like all should be warned, and it'll be lost here after a few more posts... thanks for bringing it up... i mentor a lot of aspiring poets and it really burns me that so many have been 'taken'...

the worst damage is not the money so much, as the blow to fragile egos, when they realize the glowing words were just a scam and later find out their work needs a lot of work...

love and hugs, maia

MULDERACHE
08-07-2003, 02:40 AM
I was just checking out your site because I love to write poetry and short stories........to my surprise I found this thread and I am glad I did....My eyes have been opened ( I too received the 'you are nominated for poet of the year' letter and felt it was sorta strange that so may more on another site got the same letter.

Guess we learn something new everyday!

Thanks for the insight!

Gail

Jedson
08-17-2003, 03:02 AM
wow! I recieved the same thing! Does anyone know anything about FamousPoets.com?? I recieved stuff from them too...

catmom5
08-20-2003, 07:41 AM
I went the poetry.com route, naive, and all jazzed that my poem had 'won' a semi-finalist spot. By the time the hotel, flight, etc. info arrived, I could see through the scam and scumminess of this bunch. I again submitted the same poem to voicesnet.com and received a semi-finalist pick and waiver to sign to allow to be in book with all of the prices of this wonderful 'book', with or w/o engraved cover, the whole bit. I am not buying the book and wonder, since the only person who put a posting in here about the validity of voicesnet.com is the FOUNDER, whether this too is another scam avenue? Any advice, folks? My poem is darn good, if I do say so, as I am sure many of yours are. Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for the advice I know you'll post!

Jedson
08-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Hey Catmom5...Ive entered recently into voicesnet, but dont know anything yet! Cause I entered for the latest contest..
So, I like you, dont know too much about it!

skylar
08-30-2003, 11:54 PM
As the founder, editor, and publisher of a small circulation poetry magazine, let me tell you that, for the most part, poetry doesn't sell. So don't expect to be paid much for it. However, I recommend that you do not publish your work in ANY market that does not give you AT LEAST one FREE copy of the publication in which your work appears. Most magazines, particularly the small ones, pay in contributors copies. Most publishers of poetry magazines don't make a profit, but instead produce their magazines for love of the art, often at their own expense.

Poetry.com aka International Library of Poetry aka National Library of Poetry makes money by printing countless anthologies, and charging around $50 each to the poet's who appear in them. They try to sell all sorts of other products as well. Iliad Press does this, as do many other anthology publications.

In general, I just avoid anthologies, because too many turn out to be vanity publications. But if you know before submitting that they will pay you one contributors copy or more, I see no harm in it.

kikis puppy
09-02-2003, 10:05 PM
I live in Sweden, never won or been accepted in a competition or published before of course. I recieved mine a couple of days ago. I was heartbroken when someone warned me about it. I checked it out and here I am.

This adds to my future essay, "What I would do if i became a dictator"

You guess what I would do to these people.

*Einz...Zwei...FEUER*

Impressivelynameduser
09-12-2003, 04:35 AM
I bet most people here will have sent something in as it's so easy to do. I cottoned on pretty quick as well with 'hmm, it was allright, but not Poem of the Universe 3rd Millenium Edition kinda stuff'

cluelessspicycinnamon
09-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Ha ha. I've been given the offer to buy my poems in books, books on tape, and i've been nominated too. Booya.

lol. Yeah, it's a complete con site. Which sucks. Poetry in motion is still fun, though.

Zeenythe
10-24-2003, 08:13 PM
In this day and age of such easy net access, there is no good reason not to do the research prior to any submission. Information is widely available. Good web sites to bookmark for checking on the scams are:

Preditors & Editors
www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/ (http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/)

Literary Scams
windpub.com/literary.scams/ (http://windpub.com/literary.scams/)
www.windpub.com/literary....endall.htm (http://www.windpub.com/literary.scams/endall.htm)
www.windpub.com/literary....yudkin.htm (http://www.windpub.com/literary.scams/yudkin.htm)

Writers Beware
www.sfwa.org/beware/ (http://www.sfwa.org/beware/)

and many more. A good way to begin your research is to simply hit the search engines, such as Google, and find out all that you can.

A good mantra to keep in mind is that money should always flow towards the writer, not away from the writer.

Best luck!

Miamouser
10-24-2003, 11:24 PM
Never had any experience with poetry.com, as the website confused me. So, in a way, my stupidity was my saving grace.

Anyway, on the positive side their are still a lot of competitions that are completely legit and that you can enter. I only know about the English ones I'm afraid.

Possibly one of the best competitions you can enter is the Poetry Society competition for poetry (www.poetrysociety.org.uk). The poetry society is a very respected and completely legitimate business with buildings in London and even it's own cafe (with good pie) across the road. They work closely with poets such as Roger McGough and Andrew Motion. Anyway, they run a National adults competition and also a young people's competition for 11-18 year olds with a prize of a writing course (I won this, and can confirm that everything is as they say it is.)

Other competitions you can enter...

the Cardiff International Poetry Competition. There should be information at www.academi.org although I haven't checked as I have the leaflet.

the Poetry Life Competition. My teacher pointed this out to me, and it's judged by Jo Shapcott. It's a competition from a poetry magazine, so they don't have a pretty website but it's functional and makes a lot of sense.

Only three competitions there... but anyway, hope it's ok. I get my poetry info from my local library, local bookshops and the Art Centre. I rarely look on the web.

Hope nobody else gets caught out by poetry.com.

Mia

ItalyAngel
10-31-2003, 10:41 PM
I learned last year...bad place.

Porphry
11-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Sad to say, I knew what this post was about by the title. (No, never went to Poetry.com myself, ran into more than few like it however.)

Sorry to hear. I don't necessarily agree with the statement about "always" being paid for your writing. This would exclude many small presses that aren't scams, but financially are not able to offer poetry contributors some kind of compensation for their work. (However, the poet retaining all the rights to their work, mag or e-zine only asking for like 3 mos. before you use the piece elsewhere.) That is in sharp contrast to anthos and mags that force a contributor to buy a copy (even at a special rate) to insure inclusion.

Best of luck. Hunting for reputable market is one of the less enjoyable factors of the trade, much homework to be done. Keep plugging though, and I see that there are several sites already offered up to help out- so I guess I'll just hush for now.

Po

chris2004
01-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Don't believe these rogues.

Ebele
01-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Yep. That happened to me in 2002. I was told they wanted to include me in their anthology and CD. I was also invited to their poetry convention in Washington DC.

It was the first poem I ever wrote. I believed them. I was naive. One day, I happened to come across a site (several actually) that mentioned poetry.com (and their various other names). People were more or less saying the same thing that had happened to me. Thankfully, they didn't get a penny from me, but I remember giving them a call (b4 I knew they were cons) and telling them how much I truly appreciated being acknowledged and they said, "You're welcome". Hah!

JesusFreakSue
02-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Oh my! How funny that when I clicked onto one of the sponser sites it had Poetry.com on it. Unfortunately I found out too late that they are a scam and already sent them money via my Visa. I talked to the bank and even if I dispute it their is no guarantee that I will get my money back so I am out $43 for the down payment for the book I thought I would be in as a semi finalist for this months contest. I wish I would have found this site sooner. Oh well, live and learn and move on.

gothicphoenixx
02-03-2004, 11:42 PM
I sent my poems into poetry.com in like seventh grade. I think they might..might..have some standard becuase when i heard of this being a scam (and thought it was for myself when they would only let me win if I paid 500 + dollars to go to washington) it was basically drivvel about bees buzzing....didn't get in, lol...
I never bought the books...and I still don't consider myself "published" although I know ppl who do, and even though I tried to tell them it's a scam they insist that it's special to be in there. Like my one friend, she's been in, oh 3 of them? And her mom bought the books and had them out at her graduation party and I mentioned before she was going to do this about how they work it and @#%$ and she's like "Even so , it's not everyone that can say they're published.":rolleyes Some ppl don't care I guess.. Personally, I'm just glad it wasnt poems that I'd want to sell now that I let get published.

editor uhad2bthere
03-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Hello,

I would like to mention that I'm the editor of one of these small not for profit writing sites. All this advertising rubbish about getting your work published 'for a small fee' is bad. And it makes things really difficult for people like me who just likes to encourage people. Admittedly, my site doesn't offer cash, I can't, It just me and a bunch of people who do this for a hobby. But I'm completely up front about it. If poets, short story writers, whoever submits stuff to the site I make it clear THERE IS NO CASH offered or asked for.

Web Site owners should be clearer about their intentions, a bit of honesty is always a;) good thing.

I just feel bad for you guys who have been disappointed and ripped off. I genuinely hope and urge you not to let some dishonest people dent your love for writing.

editor@uhad2bthere.co.uk
www.uhad2bthere.co.uk :smokin

JesusFreakSue
03-18-2004, 11:46 AM
I was lucky enough to get my :money back on my Visa card. They also sent me stuff about getting my poem on a plaque and I could also hear it on a CD! LOL! :lol

Shells323
03-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Ahh, more unfortunate souls of Poetry.com. Did you know they are also known as The International Library of Poetry (how I first came to know them, a 7th or 8th grader submitting for class and happily being "published") and then in time they shortened it to The NATIONAL Library of Poetry.

There is a wonderful writing website, that sends out a weekly e-mail chock full of information on everything you can think of. They also post warnings on many different cons and poor publishers, agents, editors, etc. Poetry.com is one of their biggest problems.
Go and learn my fellow writers.;)

www.writersweekly.com

"You've got to jump off cliffs and build your wings on the way down." -Ray Bradbury

GOGO CONGEMA
04-01-2004, 04:40 AM
This has been going on for years!! I was entered into that poetry contest by my English teacher who then received notification I won and of course bought the book!!! I was so happy until years later I realized everyone won!! But, I still used used "poetry published "on my writing resume. It wasn't a lie LOL!
gogo

Betty W01
04-12-2004, 03:56 AM
www.sfwa.org/beware/contests.html (http://www.sfwa.org/beware/contests.html)

One of my poems "won" this darned contest, too, years ago, but fortunately something went off in my brain warning me it was too good to be true (although I still think the poem I sent them was and is very good! :lol ) I then wrote them a letter telling them I was revoking my permission for them to use it in any way, and wrote it off to experience. No moeny spent, no loss of dignity, since I told NO ONE at the time about it. And now, it doesn't matter anymore to me.

For other less fortunate souls, I offer the above link.

And don't be too discouraged. Just because they said your poetry is good doesn't necessarily mean it's NOT. But I'd advise entering other legitimate contests and leaving Poetry.com and its ilk strictly ALONE.

Kuey2
12-04-2004, 08:35 PM
:D
I believe that there are over 5.1 million poems on poetry.com.

Some are bad, some are good, and most are just ugly.

If you write something that has inspired you and someone else, and that person thinks it's good enough to publish, and you are under no obligation to buy, and you have a chance to win a prize, why (in the name of all that is holy) can't you just enjoy the fact that you connected with another human being and your work was appreciated?

Get over your prideful self, a scam is something that actually costs or wastes your money, and no one has your arm twisted to purchase anything. All that happened was that you got a copyright for time that you felt you spent wisely.

You don't need 15 mins of fame to know whether or not you are remotely artistic. Let commerce be for those who need material things (like books for their coffee-table) to validate that their thoughts are worthwhile.

I say long live Art for the Sake of Art.

Kuey2
12-04-2004, 08:40 PM
:D I believe that there are over 5.1 million poems on poetry.com.

Some are bad, some are good, and most are just ugly.

If you write something that has inspired you and someone else, and that person thinks it's good enough to publish, and you are under no obligation to buy, and you have a chance to win a prize, why (in the name of all that is holy) can't you just enjoy the fact that you connected with another human being and your work was appreciated?

Get over your prideful self, a scam is something that actually costs or wastes your money, and no one has your arm twisted to purchase anything. All that happened was that you got a copyright for time that you felt you spent wisely.

You don't need 15 mins of fame to know whether or not you are remotely artistic. Let commerce be for those who need material things (like books for their coffee-table) to validate that their thoughts are worthwhile.

I say long live Art for the Sake of Art.

Hapsburg
12-05-2004, 09:18 AM
The crap you say...They're more than a scam vanity publisher, they're a copyright violator. I just made a post about it in the bewares section. They are printing anything they can get their hands on in their books, site, mousepads and mugs. They're turning a profit on works they have no lisence to be publishing. I never gave them permission, and I doubt some of the more famous poets they list did either.

sedawkgrep
12-07-2004, 11:08 AM
I don't wish to derail this thread but I submitted a poem, it was 'selected' for print and I got my volume a few weeks ago.

If anyone else out there has 'Touch of Tomorrow' would you contact me? I have a question about it. (My poem appears first...at least in my copy) My e-mail is my username at yahoo.com.

It was my first poem since 10th grade. (17 years) A co-worker mentioned the site and the ridiculously simple quiz and after reading her submission I thought: "Hell, I can write a much better poem than that." So I did. Mine was selected and hers was not...so there must be a little selection process at work.

It wasn't until I started to get inundated with all these lame offers to have my poem printed or recorded that I began to get suspicious. A hour or so browsing turned up a lot of vitriol - and uncovered this pleasant place.

I am quite disappointed with things and with myself for not doing any research upfront. I am normally a huge skeptic but unwarily let myself imagine I was finding true recognition.

$0.02.

Andrew

WordSoup
12-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Welcome, Andrew!

Don't be too disappointed with yourself - out of something bad, came something good - you found this place!

Live and learn... ;)

- Jen

Pat~
08-18-2007, 05:47 AM
This is an old thread, but probably deserves a bump every few years or so...and here's an additional link about this particular site:

http://poetrynotcom.tripod.com/

Here are a few other questionable poetry 'publishers,' some with links to poetry-dot-com:

Noble House Publishers
International Library of Poetry
National Library of Poetry
International Society of Poets
International Poetry Hall of Fame
Watermark Press
Birthwrites
International Lib
Pegasus Press
International Society of Photography
picture.com
Arts and Kids

JRH
08-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Reece,

It's just one of the many ways they try to make money off people.
They'll offer you copper placques, ceramic plates, or engraved copies of your poem, set in a gorgeous frame, (3 for a dollar at the local "thrift" store), as well as recordings of it being read, and a chance to be published in their "best of the best" series, all for a price - of course.

They are just one money making machine (for themselves, and EVERYTHING at your expense), and the more you buy into, the more variations they'll come up with.

I'm sure you know, already, that their "collections" will never appear in libraries or bookstores and will only be purchased by those who contributed to the book you were included in, (with all sales profits going directly to Poetry.com).

I don't know what the current count of their volumes is but they have been averaging 65 volumes a year at least since the late 1990s with each volume containing about 1500 poems and costing an at least $59.95 each.
That averages out a profit of over $6.000,000 a year for them, even with out including any of the other opportunities they offer.

A good site for all this information, which gives examples and has photostats of a representative page of one of their anthologies can be found at: http://poetrynotcom.tripod.com/

I guess the answer to your question is that it is certainly not a joke for them, but it is just as certainly at your expense.

STAY CLEAR of them.

Jim Hoye (JRH)

skelly
08-18-2007, 12:10 PM
It's like some sort of ancient artifact, this thread. All those strange and silent screen names from so long ago.

It's kinda spooky, in a way.

Pat~
08-18-2007, 10:00 PM
It's like some sort of ancient artifact, this thread. All those strange and silent screen names from so long ago.

Boowahahaaaaaaaaaa!

Pat~
08-18-2007, 10:02 PM

Kinda makes you think about all the posts you've made...someday all our old bones may be resurrected, too...gee, people could theoretically be responding to us long after we're dead...

Okay, now I'm creeped out.

skelly
08-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Shh. Pat. Listen.........

I got an email today .com which I year ago when I didn't CON site was happily by them and a lifetime...to buy my own of poetry UGGHHH

an email stating I have of the Year 2002!! All to the ceremony is pay hotel accomodation to 25th!!!

Is this expense????

Reece

Scary, isn't it? And you can only hear it when the wind blows......

JerseyGirl1962
12-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I'll resurrect this again (of course, it's only been 4 months since the last poster :)).

I received an email in my bulk mail folder about Poetry.com's contest to win an African safari!!!! :tongue

Yeah, right.

What, are they desperately seeking more people to pay for their crappy books filled with poems? Stuff about the contest is here (http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?Suite=A70404&Style=saf0701#back).

~Nancy

skelly
12-07-2007, 02:22 AM
:eek:

Man this thread gives me the creeps. I don't even know why. I had a book called Shudders when I was a kid. Collection of scary stories. One of the stories that messed me up the most was about this dude who goes back home to visit his mom after some long absence. She lives in some old neighborhood and when the dude gets there, she's preparing for a gathering. The dude visits with his mom and then heads upstairs to bed. The "gathering" turns out to be all the woman's dead friends from the graveyard down the street, popping in for a visit.

Yikes!

This thread is like that, kind of a comfortable old place that you used to hang out at with your friends...kind of a house full of dead people talking in whispers.

Anyway, that poetry dot com thing sucks. No doubt.