Canada

Feanaro

I`m moving to Canada on Sunday August 19! Can`t wait!:PartySmil It`s been planned for about a year now. Still,I`ll miss a few people around here (friends,relatives,etc:cry:).I didn`t metion,I curretly live in Ireland.The book I`ve started writing (The Freedom of Adonia) is sort of based around the whole thing, not that I mean any offence to Ireland at all! I`ll really miss this place and I`ll never forget it. One thing I won`t miss is the rain! It`s been pretty crap all summer.Well be moving to Vernon in British Columbia in a rented home for about 6 months-1 year and then getting our own house to live in after that. As I`ve said:I can`t wait!
See Ya!;)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
BC is beautiful, man. You'll love it. Best of luck to you.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Rain you say rain!!!! Don't forget your Goolashes!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
If you move to BC, you'll never leave. Heck, every time I visit there I don't want to leave. It's beautiful, pristine. Everything is LARGE, including the produce. It's expensive, is all, but I don't know how it compares to Ireland.

Enjoy Canada, eh!

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
my uncle lives there. If you go to the ER you will be under his care.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
BC is glorious! Anywhere you go in BC it's glorious. Best Chinese dinner I ever had was in Vancouver. Great city. Nature, wildlife, ocean, mountains, boats, salmon! People, too, weird as anywhere else, but mostly fun. Lawn bowling in Victoria, gardens, cricket, all that fruit around Okanogan. Darn, I should know how to spell that, my grandmother used to live there. Enjoy!

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
BC is glorious! Anywhere you go in BC it's glorious. Best Chinese dinner I ever had was in Vancouver. Great city. Nature, wildlife, ocean, mountains, boats, salmon! People, too, weird as anywhere else, but mostly fun. Lawn bowling in Victoria, gardens, cricket, all that fruit around Okanogan. Darn, I should know how to spell that, my grandmother used to live there. Enjoy!
Vancouver *rolls eyes* -- Vernon is way better!!! And the fruit is excellent.
BTW -- Okanagan (I can even type that fast, but that's because I also worked in Kananaskis for a long time -- also ties the fingers in knots!!)

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the move.

I'm sticking with the rain ... not sure why sometimes ...

(And I've no idea how expensive BC is, but it COULDN'T be more expensive than Ireland)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and don't be surprised to find BC'ers super friendly. They aren't trying to steal from you. All us Canadians are like that. We're born friendly!

davids

Banned
Reaction score
No Goolashes necessary here!!!! The weather is perfect!!!!

:partyguy: :banana: :PartySmil :TheWave:

We're ready for you to arrive!!!!!

For about five minutes!! I grew up in BC-there is a reason it is beautiful and why I live in SC on the ocean-the ocean does not pour on ya!!!!

My cousin owns/owned the Pontiac dealship in Vernon-don't know if he still does but he did make it a point of ripping everybodys face off to support his Florida habit.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Good luck with the move.

(And I've no idea how expensive BC is, but it COULDN'T be more expensive than Ireland)

Vancouver and the island-waaaaaaay more!!!! Well Victoria at any rate-Nanaimo don't know-Coquitlam and parts around are probably reasonable but you gotta be a logger or a salmon murderer to live there-well close enough!!!!

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
Vancouver gets way more rain that we do. For the most part, in the last couple of years we would love to see more rain -- really low water tables.
Vancouver is incredibly expensive, and the problem Victoria is getting across to the island. The Okanagan is the best!!!
Davids -- if you get out this way to check out your cousin, give me a call -- dinner's on me!!!!

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Vancouver gets way more rain that we do. For the most part, in the last couple of years we would love to see more rain -- really low water tables.
Vancouver is incredibly expensive, and the problem Victoria is getting across to the island. The Okanagan is the best!!!
Davids -- if you get out this way to check out your cousin, give me a call -- dinner's on me!!!!

You got it catsndogs

Feanaro

Thank you for your comments. After reading them, the next few days in this almost empty house will be even harder to go through!

Thank`s again!

davids

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, but I wouldn't serve them for dinner

I will come and visit ya-I eat cheap-actually four days a week I do not eat at all and then when I do I eat semi raw vegetables and little wabbits that I have tortured in evilistic glee!!!!

Niteowl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theniteowl.blogspot.com
Good luck with the move.

Oh.. Vancouver is very, very very expensive. We have the highest mortgage debt to income ratio in Canada (and North America, now that It hink of it). Something around 60% of one's gross income is needed to service a mortgage here (recommended is 30%).

But hey, you'll be in Vernon and everything! Better weather, wine, and the fruit! Happy move!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
My dad settled in Penticton, the south end of the Okanagan Valley. We went to visit him two years ago. It is a beautiful, scenic, warm region. It has mountains, rivers, valleys, snow, heat, and OGOPOGO! (The Canadian equivalent of Loch Ness Monster).

The Okanagan Valley is semi-desert in the southern part -- I'm not sure about the Vernon area, but no matter how hot it is, you can just take two steps to the left and fall into the lake.

In the winter, there is little snow in the lower elevations because precipitation is blocked by a range of mountains.

My first novel, The Space Between, has a scene written in the Oliver region of the Okanagan. I love it there, and want to retire there. Maybe Daddy'll leave me his gated community home.

Enjoy your stay. You'll love it. Save me a spot near the water.