PDA

View Full Version : Question about contacting an editor

Tymolee
08-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a parenting essay that was shortlisted by an editor for an anthology. She contacted me on July 30th, said that she wanted to go over some editorial things, send me a spreadsheet of what to expect, and wanted to make sure I was still interested in participating. She also said final decisions would be by Oct. 1st.

Of course I was overjoyed and responded, said I was definitely still interested in participating and I was looking forward to seeing what changes she had in mind and that I looked forward to hearing from her.

Now, I've never been shortlisted for an anthology, so I don't know how long these things take. I haven't heard back from her since that initial email. Should I email her now and say, "it's been 2 weeks, just checking to make sure you got my email?" or should I wait a little longer? I don't want to be a pest and I'm sure she's got tons of essays she's editting, too. I didn't know if there's standard procedure for this sort of thing. :) But at the same time, if the decision is by Oct. and she wants me to make any major changes.... well, I'd like to go over it again, y'know?

Apologizes if this is in the wrong forum... it's kind of an odd question.

Thanks!

awatkins
08-16-2007, 02:54 AM
Sometimes it can take awhile to hear back from an editor--and if final decisions won't be made until Oct, you might not hear back until then. I wouldn't worry too much. Patience, grasshopper. ;)

ETA: But you can e-mail politely (and briefly) to make sure she got your response. :)

Tymolee
08-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Thanks. I'm not exactly known for my patience (obviously). I just wanted to make sure that it was normal and that it would most likely take a little while to hear back from the editor.

I was kind of bouncing when I heard I was shortlisted. Waiting until October is going to be the death of me. :)

Thanks again!

Shwebb
08-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Congrats on being shortlisted, though. Don't worry--you're in good company; there's a whole lot of us who would be bouncing with happiness and then with impatience.

Tymolee
08-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the well-wishes. As it turns out, she contacted me today.

I think I need to learn meditation or something if I'm going to keep submitting.

Patience, grasshopper! Is going to be my motto.

Take care!

Shwebb
08-19-2007, 03:46 AM
Great! Hope it was good news.

Tymolee
08-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Well, it was neutral news. She'll send me the edits and we'll collaborate... final decision is in October, so I'll have my fingers crossed until then!!!

Thanks again, everyone!