PDA

View Full Version : Do kids/teens go outside anymore?

seun
08-14-2007, 03:07 PM
The weather here in the UK has been crap over the last couple of months apart from the occasional nice day. Last Friday was one of those days. On my way somewhere, I cut through an area of town called The Grange - a kids' play area on one side of a wide path, and a huge field on the other. It was completely deserted. It took me five minutes to walk through it and I saw nobody. No dog walkers, no kids on the swings, no older kids with nowhere else to go. This got me thinking. Do kids 'play' anymore? Do teenagers get together in public places like The Grange and smoke because they have nowhere else to go? If someone had told me the area was deserted at two in the afternoon, I wouldn't have believed them, but it was true.

Is this strange?

aadams73
08-14-2007, 03:11 PM
No, they're all sitting at home in front of their Wiis and Playstations eating and getting fatter by the second. Unfortunately. I see SO many pre-teen and teenage boys with moobs. Remember when we were kids and we used to get exercise and use our imaginations?

KTC
08-14-2007, 03:12 PM
My son spends almost the entire day outside with his friends. It's hard to get him to come in for his meals. The weather has been near perfect here for a very long time.

seun
08-14-2007, 03:15 PM
No, they're all sitting at home in front of their Wiis and Playstations eating and getting fatter by the second. Unfortunately. I see SO many pre-teen and teenage boys with moobs. Remember when we were kids and we used to get exercise and use our imaginations?

Well, I was a lazy bastard so I didn't get much exercise but I did use my imagination and I did hang around with mates outside.

seun
08-14-2007, 03:16 PM
My son spends almost the entire day outside with his friends. It's hard to get him to come in for his meals. The weather has been near perfect here for a very long time.

The weather here probably hasn't helped but last week was nice. It just struck me as odd that the place was totally empty.

KTC
08-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah...it sounds a bit It(ish)...as in Stephen King's the Barrens. Why is it empty? Therein lies the horror story.

seun
08-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah...it sounds a bit It(ish)...as in Stephen King's the Barrens. Why is it empty? Therein lies the horror story.

Good idea. :)

ALLWritety
08-14-2007, 03:30 PM
They are all at the shopping malls
K

scarletpeaches
08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Well, I was a lazy bastard so I didn't get much exercise but I did use my imagination and I did hang around with mates outside.

Did you/do you have moobs though?

seun
08-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Did you/do you have moobs though?

I wish ;)

PattiTheWicked
08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
It's been so hot here my kids don't want to go out unless there's water involved. We hooked up the sprinkler for my daughter and her friend, but they lost interest after about half an hour. too damn hot.

NeuroFizz
08-14-2007, 05:54 PM
If I had moobs, I'd nebber go outside mecause I'd be habbing to much fun with my mody.

Provrb1810meggy
08-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't go outside that much...but that's mostly because my neighborhood is pretty much devoid of teenagers and kids. If I had more people to hang out with, then yes, I'd probably hang outside more. I don't usually get together with my friends outside of the neighborhood, either, just to hang around outside. When I do go outside, I pretty much walk around aimlessly for a bit, but one tires of doing this soon enough. It's not an all day activity. Yes, I kind of become sluggish in the summer. I will admit it. Now I'm going to go hide in shame before people start telling me to go outside and lose some weight.

One more thing. Ha, I still use my imagination. Frequently. Imagination can be used while indoors. So there.

And I'm volunteering at the library, so I am doing something productive.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

III
08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
"Alright! I've had it with all of you! Stop fighting and go outside and don't come back until the sun goes down!"

Yeah, my kids play outside.

seun
08-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Play outside or get locked outside?

NeuroFizz
08-14-2007, 06:10 PM
A quote a former colleague frequently received from his father (although for a reason other than to play):

"This house has three doors and seventeen windows. And they all lead out."

MidnightMuse
08-14-2007, 06:32 PM
All I know is - my sisters and I played outside, entertained by each other, our friends, our imaginations - until it was too dark to see. Our father was huge into outdoor activities, and took us waterskiing, hiking, camping, etc constantly.

Today, my oldest sister has 4 kids. The girls are in soccer and baseball but when they're not busy with that, they're inside on the computer. The boy never leaves his computer. Her husband is the same, and working on a set of moobs. :Shrug:

CaroGirl
08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
That's interesting because I noticed that the other day. I was driving to the grocery store and passed the local park. Deserted. Where are all the kids? I think they're all either inside, or doing something scheduled, like some kind of camp program, because all their parents are at work.

My kids go outside. My street is fantastic for meeting other kids or calling on the neighbours, just like I used to do. My kids are out there somewhere right now. Doing some damn thing.

Stew21
08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
In good weather my kids love to be outside and love to go to the park, or fishing, or just in the yard or on a bike ride. The neighbors down the street have kids their ages, so they have people to play with. but last weekend it was 103 degrees - unbelievably hot outside, and it just isn't a good idea, so we stayed in.
Deep cold and sweltering hot are the only things that keep my kids inside.

Jaycinth
08-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Well, since the surgeon General keeps telling us to stay inside during the high UV hours of 10-3, I would imagine they are inside trying to catch up on reading before the school year starts again...on..can it be...AUGUST 27TH:snoopy:

AT the moment dear daughter is at her cousin's house moving equipment and jamming.

Later, I suppose she'll be working on the garden and gossiping over the fence with her friends.

Later than that, I suppose she'll be trying to pulloff the same diamond heist she's been trying to pull off every evening since she was two.

reigningcatsndogs
08-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Mine were out first thing in the morning yesterday, cleaning, repairing and painting the garden shed. They were outside last night too, repairing the fence where stupid Herman the cow knocked down some boards (Herman is a sh**!) Between that, in the heat of the day, they are in the pool or sitting on the hammock with a book, or now, God forbid, one of them is writing a book and had MY laptop on the veranda! (That's a hanging offence around here.) They still do the TV and PS stuff, but it's pretty balanced.

Niteowl
08-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Mine stays inside mainly because she's one and can't walk. Oh, the excuses, I tell you.

jennifer75
08-14-2007, 08:09 PM
This got me thinking. Do kids 'play' anymore? Do teenagers get together in public places like The Grange and smoke because they have nowhere else to go?
Is this strange?

Do I have to let him out? I don't want him to go out. It's too dangerous. There are crazies out there.

scarletpeaches
08-14-2007, 08:17 PM
And yet where I live I see young kids out 'playing' until late at night, and I very much doubt their parents know or care what they're up to.

Why do I say that? Well what sort of parent, knowing their kids were hanging round outside the shops shouting abuse at people and getting drunk, would allow it to happen?

III
08-14-2007, 08:19 PM
And yet where I live I see young kids out 'playing' until late at night, and I very much doubt their parents know or care what they're up to.

Why do I say that? Well what sort of parent, knowing their kids were hanging round outside the shops shouting abuse at people and getting drunk, would allow it to happen?

And kids like that go around with bottles of white-out defacing nameplates too. Don't forget that. It was the kids, right?

scarletpeaches
08-14-2007, 08:20 PM
I was just about to say that!!!

Dammit. I've been owned. :D

Shady Lane
08-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Not as much as I should. I'm at the beach now, so I'm outside all the time. And when the weather's nice I sit out by the pool or do some swimming.

Mostly I stay inside and write, though. Lighting's better.

Jabs
08-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Both of our boys spend a large amount of time outdoors, being in the Boy Scouts helps a lot too. That and the fact that I'm a huge supporter of anything in the outdoors, hiking, hunting, fishing, swimming, etc.
There were no video games in the house until about a year or so ago when a friend of our oldest boy gave him an old system. I had one simple rule: No more than an hour a day. We've had no issues.
Now, these parents who treat their children like they are some kind of burden and let them just waste away in front of a video game or a TV because they can't take the oppurtunity to spend some real qood quality time with their kids? They should all be shot.

jennifer75
08-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Now, these parents who treat their children like they are some kind of burden and let them just waste away in front of a video game or a TV because they can't take the oppurtunity to spend some real qood quality time with their kids? They should all be shot.

But I had a headache!!!!!!

Jabs
08-14-2007, 08:42 PM
But I had a headache!!!!!!

Headaches are forgivable. I'm talking about those people who do it everyday. Nothing gets me angrier than irresponsible parenting.

Southern_girl29
08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
My daughter, who's four, and I were outside every afternoon after I got home from work until the weather became so hot. It's been over 100 here for the past week or so, and in the 90s even before that. Tessa doesn't do very well with the heat. If she gets even a little overheated, she throws up.

I'm the same way. I just don't do hot weather well. And, even though I've been accused of being overprotective, I won't let her play outside by herself. I just don't think four is old enough.

Danger Jane
08-14-2007, 10:21 PM
My little sister plays outside all the time. She's eight.

I don't because Iiiii'm not about to go running through the sprinkler or something. But I go running and go to the beach and I'm on a sports team...

Jabs
08-14-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't because Iiiii'm not about to go running through the sprinkler or something.

And just why not?!?

Danger Jane
08-14-2007, 10:53 PM
And just why not?!?

Sprinkler water is cold and also I'm weird in different ways in my never-gonna-grow-up 16 year old sister.

Maryn
08-14-2007, 10:54 PM
It will come as no surprise to you when you learn that as I write this, Kid Two and The Girlfriend are outside, tramping around the area's oldest cemetery. Last time they did this, they got lost.

Maryn, whose kids are more normal than she presents them to be