PDA

View Full Version : What kind of food do you cook?

JoNightshade
08-14-2007, 07:25 AM
Yes, this is me procrastinating. I'm being distracted from my WIP by the smells still emanating from my kitchen, so here's a question:

What type of food do you usually prepare? A certain ethnic type, a certain type of diet, etc, etc. Whatever "type" means to you.

Currently, as a wife of 1 year, my cooking is kinda rudimentary. It is split four ways between:

1) Italian (raviolis/spaghetti)
2) Mexican (burritos/fajitas/tacos)
3) Asian (various stir-fry combinations)
4) Experiments with recipes from my mom's vegetarian healthy cooking cookbook (the food I grew up eating).

Between sauces, veggies, and meats, stir fry has endless combinations, so I am having the most fun experimenting with that. I ALWAYS favor recipes that do not require measuring cups.

maestrowork
08-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Cat food.

Kudra
08-14-2007, 07:35 AM
I pick up the phone, place the order, put the phone back where it belongs.

Then, thirty or so minutes later, I eat.

lfraser
08-14-2007, 07:36 AM
When my partner is at home, some sort of animal protein, two veg and spuds.
When I'm on my own, usually a vegetarian curry or a soup or a big salad and some fruit with a little Stilton for dessert.

Claudia Gray
08-14-2007, 07:38 AM
I tend to live on different kinds of soups, when I'm eating at home. I will make up a couple gallons on a weekend, then freeze sections to eat on for a while. Sometimes it's just standard vegetable soup, sometimes chili, but I have been experimenting more and more lately. Recently I made a Caribbean-style chicken chili that came out great, and then last week I tried a mushroom, wild rice and lentil soup with red wine I'd never attempted before. It also came out very well, though next time I'll add more salt.

I find it's pretty tough to mess up vegetable soup. Broth + veggies + seasonings = good soup.

A.M. Wildman
08-14-2007, 07:40 AM
1) Italian (raviolis/spaghetti/ and I make my own sauces)
2) Mexican (burritos/fajitas/tacos)
3) Asian (when the mood strikes)
4) I have a couple of fine dining recipes that I can pull off.
5) Country, eggs, sausage, gravy, fried 'taters, etc.
6) Pastries, cakes, pies, home made bread and desserts (yes I make my own pie crusts and bread dough.) -Matter of fact I just posted my Maple Pecan Sticky Buns recipe on my Average Guy blog.
7) Experiments with whatever I find in my cabinets.
8) Recipes from my mom's and grandma's cookbook Which are filled with directions such as: "a pinch of salt, a tad of butter etc."

Heh. I grew up around it. My family ran a diner for years and all of us are cooks more or less. I've often said I should write a cookbook as my forte is the 30 minute meal from left overs and whatever is in the cupboards. That, and I couldn't live without my crockpot.

akiwiguy
08-14-2007, 07:41 AM
I most often cook Asian, usually my own concoctions in a wok. Takeaways when in a hurry. And I do steak so perfectly that I never eat it in restaurants because it is invariably so inferior. True. Sometimes pasta. Other odds and ends. But Asian most often.

Azraelsbane
08-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Pff, next week I will have been married 3 years. I can cook tons of stuff, but why?

My husband cooks, cleans, and goes to work. I... write and train (as in work out).

I love my life.

JoNightshade
08-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Pff, next week I will have been married 3 years. I can cook tons of stuff, but why?

My husband cooks, cleans, and goes to work. I... write and train (as in work out).

I love my life.

Spoiled!!! Totally spoiled!!! :)

Azraelsbane
08-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Spoiled!!! Totally spoiled!!! :)

Very true, but I love my husband, and I never hear him complainin'. ;)

JoNightshade
08-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Very true, but I love my husband, and I never hear him complainin'. ;)

Is he a neat freak or something? Cuz I could let the dishes and the garbage pile up for weeks and I swear my hubby'd never notice. I know it's time to do the laundry when I hear him say, "Hey! No socks!" ;)

I traded my 40 hour work week for cooking, cleaning, and writing. I'm not a big fan of cooking or cleaning, but I'm in heaven with my writing. :)

Joe270
08-14-2007, 09:25 AM
My wife and I probably have a hundred or more meals. I specialize in sauces, casseroles, and grilling. My wife pan fries and bakes.

I can send you some really great, and really easy recipes to make your life a bit easier.

It starts in the store, though, the cuts of meat, how you select vegetables, etc.

And, we both cook southern, so if you don't like bacon grease, forget it. But I can make you love cabbage, mustard greens, collard greens, and Lima beans.

And few people cook pinto beans correctly.

If you want some, I'll take the time to type the recipes for you. And I'll let you know the little things that so many recipes leave out, like how fine to chop ingredients, etc.

JoNightshade
08-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the offer, Joe, but I think I'm gonna pass. :) I'm fairly health conscious so I try to avoid anything remotely related to bacon grease.

I'm sure my husband would appreciate it, but he's never gonna know what he missed. :)

oswann
08-14-2007, 09:37 AM
French.

Os.

Kadea
08-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I have a ton of super healthy vegetarian meals if you want some. Trader Joes is AWESOME to begin with. I use their premade whole wheat pizza dough, with marinara sauce mixed with fresh sauteed veggies (mix of whatever I have on hand- zuchini, carrots, onion, spinach, red peppers), then I shred low fat mozarella and very thinly sliced salami on top. My kids LOVE it, and so does my husband. It's super healthy, super filling and very easy. Oh yeah, and the dough from Trader Joes is like $1. Can't beat it.

I also have a super yummy toasted almond tofu burger recipie. My husband is not a big tofu fan, be he LOVES the burgers and always comments on how filling they are.

Couscous with fresh sauteed veggies is always yummy too. You can get whole wheat couscous at TJ's.

Oh yeah, and my favorite: Homemade california rolls. So easy to do, you just have to know the tricks. Super healthy too.

I also make whole wheat gnocchi with a little Olive oil and lawry's garlic salt. takes about 10 minutes start to finish and is really yummy/healthy.

Kudra
08-14-2007, 10:31 AM

I love my life.

That's it. I need to find me one of those husband things.

Vincent
08-14-2007, 11:03 AM
I can fry stuff. I've also been known to boil an egg or two.

Just Mike
08-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Meat and potatoes, mostly.

I can fake about three "Chinese" dishes.

I tend to put a lot of mushroom soup on everything.

KTC
08-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I am always cooking East Indian and Thai. We love hot food in our house. I make a wicked Vindaloo and a killer Yellow Curry. We actually make anything and everything. We also love Italian in our house.

aadams73
08-14-2007, 02:12 PM
I'll cook anything that strikes my fancy. We make a lot of stir-frys, and I'm getting good and making sushi. I improvise a lot, and always tweak recipes. I make killer-good Greek food, and have tweaked a Boston Cream Pie recipe to perfection.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-14-2007, 03:38 PM
And, we both cook southern, so if you don't like bacon grease, forget it.

Food of the gods! I have never in my life thrown away bacon grease. My mother would haunt me and I don't want that to happen!

And few people cook pinto beans correctly.

If you want some, I'll take the time to type the recipes for you. And I'll let you know the little things that so many recipes leave out, like how fine to chop ingredients, etc.

I'd like the bean recipe! I've cooked enough to fill a boxcar, but I'd like to know if I've been doing it right! My recipe is here (http://members.cox.net/jdahl2/42.htm), at the bottom of the page.

robeiae
08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Sloppy Joes. And french fries. And sometimes broccoli.

BenPanced
08-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Cook? Food?

Azraelsbane
08-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Is he a neat freak or something? Cuz I could let the dishes and the garbage pile up for weeks and I swear my hubby'd never notice. I know it's time to do the laundry when I hear him say, "Hey! No socks!" ;)

I traded my 40 hour work week for cooking, cleaning, and writing. I'm not a big fan of cooking or cleaning, but I'm in heaven with my writing. :)

Definitely not a neat freak, but he keeps things decently tidy. My friends agree that I hit the jackpot. He's more girly than I am, but he digs chicks. My kinda guy. ;) Also, he's from Europe. German is his native language, so he's got an unbelievably hot accent as well. :D

davids
08-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Well I speak fluent German-fast a minimum of four days per week-liquids only-Scotch mainly-train like an old fool-three days of the week I eat vegetables aldente of course-one day of the week I will eat lean meat-I am a terrific cook who does not and I would not recommend this way of eating to anyone that has any sense whatsoever-this post is of no value whatsoever-just felt like posting-when possible I do enjoy murdering my own meat!

Azraelsbane
08-14-2007, 07:24 PM
when possible I do enjoy murdering my own meat!

Don't all men?

Jaycinth
08-14-2007, 07:25 PM
I can cook anything that does not run away too fast and make it totally scrumptious. I cook African, Southern, a bit of Thai... I can make a wonderful Borscht, Parker House rolls, muffins, breads, potatoes......

and cookies. I bake cookies.

Mrs. Sassangroove is also a terrific cook, and i think Werencole wants to make Chef Ramsey cry. ( I want to see that.)

I also tend to post a lot of recipies all over the place. Follow this link and you'll have a menu for a year! (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=379884&postcount=1)

CaroGirl
08-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Everything. I love to cook and love to eat. I belong to 3 gourmet groups and I get great ideas from those. If I had to narrow my food preferences down, I'd say Japanese is at the top (specifically sushi), followed by Indian and Thai.

davids
08-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Don't all men?

I love a good woman who understands the gist of male necessitatious throbbing lusts to murder!!

Stew21
08-14-2007, 07:38 PM
I cook everything. Most of the stuff I make for dinner is what i'd call "comfort food" when I really get cooking, that means, mashed potatoes, veggies prepared from fresh (no cans), things from gardens and farm stands all summer long, pot roasts, roasted chickens cooked with potatoes and carrots, grilled fish and chops. Italian beef and pork roasts in the crock pot, etc
I also do Italian, and my own sauce, my own meatballs, and I even make the dough and filling for the raviolis and stuff those suckers myself. ( learned this from an old italian lady, they are authentic and wonderful.)
My husband is a hunter and a fisherman so I also learned how to cook things like venison (and have it not taste gamey), I try my hand at lots of different sauces that go well with venison, and other game. and I make lots of stuff that goes well with fried or grilled fish.
I love to make soups. I typically make them up as I go: anything from chicken and wild rice, to cheesy potato garlic chicken chowder, chili, veggie stew, beef stew. They are usually the result of "what do I have left". Homemade mac and cheese, chicken and dumplings, chicken and noodles (all from scratch).
I don't do casseroles very often, but I make potatoes a bazillion different ways, and season and sauce meats in lots of different ways.
I make biscuits, awesome home made gravy (including sausage gravy) and a killer omlette.

KTC
08-14-2007, 07:47 PM
I love the word biscuit. It's one of my favourite words.

My 3 favourite words:

Sycamore
Breathren
Biscuit

Please continue...

Azraelsbane
08-14-2007, 07:48 PM
I love a good woman who understands the gist of male necessitatious throbbing lusts to murder!!

:roll: <--- This was me when I hit "throbbing lusts." I couldn't quite find a *splurts milk out her nose* smiley. ;)

PattiTheWicked
08-14-2007, 08:03 PM
I cook some pretty good Mediterranean-style stuff. My kids like it, and it's a good way for me to mix fruit and veggies in with the meats and grains. I've recently started trying to add more whole grains to my diet, so I've been trying to make brown rice and quinoa the staple part of most meals.

Of course, since Friday the only thing I've eaten is two jars of applesauce, a bowl of soup and half a box of Bomb Pops, but usually I do cook.

ALLWritety
08-14-2007, 08:17 PM
I can cook pretty much anything as i am a qualified chef. I specialized in cakes, pastries and deserts.

Once you have learnt the basics you just adapt to what ever food you want to cook.

Kev.

ALLWritety
08-14-2007, 08:18 PM
hey you guys and gals are all welcome to zip over to Taiwan and i'll cook for ya!

Kevvers.

hitchhiker
08-14-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm married with two kids, and my wife and kids all like different things. We don't eat as healthy as we should/could, and since I do most of the cooking, I go the quickest route.

There's not much baking in the summer, it's just too hot. We're into our thirteenth day of 100+ degree temperatures. One of our healthier meals involves pan-cooked skinless chicken, a pasta side, and french-cut green beans. On medium heat I sear some chicken breats seasoned with onion powder, carribean jerk seasoning, garlic powder, and sea salt. Pasta cooks to the side. Once the chicken is cooked and set aside, and without cleaning the skillet, I put a can of french-cut green beans (drained) in the pan, sprinkle with salt and a splash of balsamic vinegar and sometimes a dash of light brown sugar. It's less than thirty minutes start to finish. That's the most common meal - with sometimes chopping up the chicken with the pasta, but we'll also break the routine with browning ground beef for tacos.

We're big rice eaters too and once cooler weather rolls around, we'll add in more baked rice/meat dishes, crock-pot roast, spaghetti with meatballs and garlic toast, and breakfast/supper, which is great on cold nights.

jennifer75
08-14-2007, 08:20 PM
I grew up on a meat and potatoes / pennsylvania "poor" dutch meals...served by my grandparents.

My mom duplicated alot of the meat and potatoes recipes from from her mom but then slowly started serving more variety in her meals: tacos, spaghetti, burgers, noodles ... you get it...

My mother eventually started catering, then we had lots of leftovers brought home. Good eats. Then she got lazy. No more home cookin. Well, not much anyways.

I'm beginning to create my recipe box and enjoy it and find that I tend to stick to my moms methods - Mix it all up and throw in a bit of everything.

I take pride in my potato salad, my spaghetti sauces, my sauteed vegies and my breakfasts. I can only hope that I can blend in the recipes of my g'parents some day.

Anybody ever heard of Rivels? Loooooooooooooooooooove'm.

BenPanced
08-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Cook?! FOOD?!

Azraelsbane
08-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Cook?! FOOD?!

For the love of God, someone please feed BenPanced! :tongue

Stew21
08-14-2007, 08:29 PM
I grew up on a meat and potatoes / pennsylvania "poor" dutch meals...served by my grandparents.

My mom duplicated alot of the meat and potatoes recipes from from her mom but then slowly started serving more variety in her meals: tacos, spaghetti, burgers, noodles ... you get it...

My mother eventually started catering, then we had lots of leftovers brought home. Good eats. Then she got lazy. No more home cookin. Well, not much anyways.

I'm beginning to create my recipe box and enjoy it and find that I tend to stick to my moms methods - Mix it all up and throw in a bit of everything.

I take pride in my potato salad, my spaghetti sauces, my sauteed vegies and my breakfasts. I can only hope that I can blend in the recipes of my g'parents some day.

Anybody ever heard of Rivels? Loooooooooooooooooooove'm.

I have a cookbook put together of my grandmother and all of her sisters recipes. Believe it or not. Rivel soup is in there.
I'll look it up tonight when I get home and send you a pm with it.
any other requests?

jennifer75
08-14-2007, 08:34 PM
I have a cookbook put together of my grandmother and all of her sisters recipes. Believe it or not. Rivel soup is in there.
I'll look it up tonight when I get home and send you a pm with it.
any other requests?

Oh reallllllly??? Wow..yes please do. My g'ma made it with Ham, potatoes, rivels, and I just can't remember what else...not alot was put in. Maybe celery but I don't remember. She used to use yellow food coloring to color the rivels which I enjoyed. I looooooooooooooved when she'd make it. She grew up in Ohio and worked in a kitchen when she met my grandfather....the heartiest meals I've ever had came from her kitchen. Any other recipes you think I might enjoy, send them my way!

Jabs
08-14-2007, 08:39 PM
I can cook anything. It just depends on what PSG and the boys want on that particular day.

eldragon
08-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Lately we've been eating alot of baked chicken, rice and vegetables. I like to try different marinades. Salads are commonly served at my house. too.

reigningcatsndogs
08-14-2007, 10:01 PM
We finally have two cows that will be in the freezer in about three months time (it's easier to overwinter them in there and they can't escape and trample my garden), although I imagine there will be much complaining and conniving to keep them from that fate. I'm not sure how it will go over when I have to serve Hermanburgers for supper!

Oh poop!!! I forgot to pull something out for supper tonight!!!!
~~runs back into house to freezer~~

Gravity
08-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Meat, on a meat sandwich, garnished with meat.

And a side order of meat.

BenPanced
08-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Cook?! FOOD?!

For the love of God, someone please feed BenPanced! :tongue
No, I'm just trying to figure out this concept of "cooking". Does opening the jar of peanut butter count as "cooking"?

Meat, on a meat sandwich, garnished with meat.

And a side order of meat.
With a meat smoothie. To go, please.

Braydie
08-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Comfort foods. Old-fashioned country foods. Pastas and beans. Too much bacon grease. Nearly everything else. We'll give just about anything a try at least once and enjoy exchanging tried-and-true recipes with others.

We grill or smoke a lot of our meats during the summer months. Delmonico steaks. Turkey. Chicken. Pork roast/chops/ribs. If it had legs, we've probably tried it. Meatloaf made from our own made-up recipe is my husband's absolute favorite. Pot roast with vegetables. (Use the pressure cooker for this one.) Fish about three times a week. Even with all the meat we eat, we think eating oatmeal/Cheerios for most breakfast meals helps to control the cholesterol levels.

But, especially when our family gets together for a visit, homemade noodles are always on the menu. Pepperoni rolls for quick snacks. Vegetable soup. Chili. Cabbage just about any way. Zucchini/green tomatoes/squash fried in Canola oil. Hot Italian sausage hoagies. BLTs. Turkey bacon club sandwiches.

We eat lots of green beans, salads, and fruits - try to maintain a balance.

My husband is a Type II diabetic who controls his glucose levels with diet and exercise - and we can eat just about anything in moderation, especially if we walk two or three miles every day. It works well and he doesn't have to take any medication.

Well, this could go on forever... but. it. won't. :)

BenPanced
08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
But, especially when our family gets together for a visit, homemade noodles are always on the menu.
*rolls over and exposes soft pink underbelly*

Man, I loves me some homemade noodles. I haven't had them in aeons.

jennifer75
08-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Guess who forgot to PM me with the Rivels recipe???

Stew21
08-15-2007, 08:25 PM
I thought of it on my way to work, SHIT I FORGOT THE RIVELS!
The cook book is sitting out on my kitchen table.

tomorrow. I promise, jennifer! I promise!

Stew21
08-15-2007, 08:26 PM
benpanced, I make pretty decent homemade noodles too, I'll send you some...well that probably won't work, but I'll send you the recipe.

Braydie
08-15-2007, 08:30 PM
*rolls over and exposes soft pink underbelly*

Man, I loves me some homemade noodles. I haven't had them in aeons.

BenPanced -

If you ever come around our neck of the woods, stop by, and ring the bell. I'll whip up a big old batch of chicken and homemade noodles, and you can sit down and fill that little soft pink underbelly of yours. :)

Stew21
08-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Braydie, I love making chicken and noodles. My mom always made them and when I grew up and was out of the house, I'd call her and ask her how to make all of my favorites. That was the biggest one though. I had to know.
We eat them slopped over mashed potatoes and with big fat biscuits and corn!
mmmmm

jennifer75
08-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Braydie, I love making chicken and noodles. My mom always made them and when I grew up and was out of the house, I'd call her and ask her how to make all of my favorites. That was the biggest one though. I had to know.
mmmmm

Pile up the potatoes, add a heap of homemade cole slaw on top of that, then slop on the noodles, add salt and pepper, fork cut it all up, mix it together and eat.

Ooooooooooh yea....

Braydie
08-15-2007, 08:48 PM
mmmmm

Stew21 -

I looked at your profile and saw that you're age is right between my children's ages. It sounds like you're probably a great cook, and so is my daughter. My son's the older one - not a great homemade noodle maker, but a champion homemade noodle eater. :)

My daughter always helped with the cooking and baking when she was home, but she never tackled homemade noodles. After she was married, she decided that she'd have to start making her own homemade noodles, and as you did with your mother, she called me for the recipe, and I talked her through her first batch. :) Being a military spouse and so far from home, she didn't get back often enough to satisfy her cravings. :)

It seems like noodles on mashed potatoes is a pretty popular idea, too. :)

scarletpeaches
08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Italian, Italian, Italian.

I could eat lasagne 'til the cows come home. Just call me Garfield.

Braydie
08-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Pile up the potatoes, add a heap of homemade cole slaw on top of that, then slop on the noodles, add salt and pepper, fork cut it all up, mix it together and eat.

Ooooooooooh yea....

jennifer75 - Before I could respond to your post, I got a call and left the computer hanging. :)

I haven't heard of cole slaw on top of this conglomeration :), but it must be good - otherwise why would it still be in your noodle-lovin' memory? LOL

I like coleslaw on ham sandwiches, sloppy joes, and hot dogs with sauce, too. Slopping stuff together doesn't bother me. I don't mind keeping Mr. Napkin Inventor in business.

jennifer75
08-15-2007, 11:48 PM
I haven't heard of cole slaw on top of this conglomeration :), but it must be good - otherwise why would it still be in your noodle-lovin' memory? LOL

It is one of my fondest childhood memories. When mom had that pot of water goin, I knew what was coming. I just talked to her this morning, she promised the recipe (though it is a simple one) and her noodle cutter. OH, THE JOYS OF THE NOODLE CUTTER!!!

Braydie
08-16-2007, 01:19 AM
It is one of my fondest childhood memories. When mom had that pot of water goin, I knew what was coming. I just talked to her this morning, she promised the recipe (though it is a simple one) and her noodle cutter. OH, THE JOYS OF THE NOODLE CUTTER!!!

Aren't you the lucky girl! Your very own recipe and hand-me-down noodle cutter. Your mother really loves you. LOL

I never owned a proper cutter. I roll out my dough on a glass cutting board and cut strips with a pizza cutter. I wonder if that means I make Italian noodles?? :)

jennifer75
08-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Aren't you the lucky girl! Your very own recipe and hand-me-down noodle cutter. Your mother really loves you. LOL

I never owned a proper cutter. I roll out my dough on a glass cutting board and cut strips with a pizza cutter. I wonder if that means I make Italian noodles?? :)

Well, don't tell anybody, but my bday is coming up so she might have just felt guilty enough to pass it on. :)

Braydie
08-16-2007, 01:34 AM
Well, don't tell anybody, but my bday is coming up so she might have just felt guilty enough to pass it on. :)

Happy upcoming birthday. :partyguy: You'll treasure your mother's gift.

Maybe she'd like to be invited to your house for a nice chicken and noodle dinner, too. :)