Does this turn you on? YA

Status
Not open for further replies.

roskoebaby

EDIT: This is really old. lol. I'd delete it, but I don't want to invalidate the comments below.

This is an excerpt from my YA, BROKEN. This is where the MC, Emily, gets to have a private interaction with the guy that's NOT her boyfriend. Does this work?

I climbed out of my clunker and snatched up my pack before walking toward the school.

“Couldn’t wait to see me, huh?” someone said from behind me. Bloody hell.

“Hello, Tate,” I answered and turned to face him. My stomach flipped as he brushed a chunk of his chocolate hair behind his ear. “Now, why would you think that I was here to see you? In case it wasn’t clear,” I leaned in and whispered. “I go to school here.”

“I don’t know, Emily.” He walked up to stand alarmingly close to me. “You’re here awfully early. You sure you weren’t just trying to catch a glimpse of me before class?”

His self-confident smile would have been obnoxious if he wasn’t so damn hot. I moved away from him and began to power walk toward the school as he fell in step next to me.

“I have complete trust that Caleb can find you a single girl,” I said. I didn’t look at him and tried to calculate if I could actually outrun him to the building.

“I don’t need Caleb to hook me up.”

“Fine. Then use your charms on someone that’s available.”

“So you think I’m charming?”

I looked at him sideways and had to laugh as he flashed a dazzling smile.

“You’re not nearly as cute as you think?” I lied.

“And you are way more intriguing than you give yourself credit for.”

I paused at the bottom of the steps and fully looked at him for the first time. His face was calm as he returned my stare. A warm flush spread over me, but I didn’t look away. Neither did he. His cheeks, now slightly pink, were framing a perfect face. The hazel in his eyes stood out against his dark skin, making them almost electric. They seemed to soften as I gazed back into them. He was so beautiful. My heart pounded in my ears until finally, Tate exhaled and looked down.

“Wow,” he said. “That right there, was seriously intense.” I nodded and my mouth hung open as I watched him kick at the ground, steadying his breath. The bell rang and we both looked at the building, irritated. We came back to face each other and Tate leaned in toward me.

“I don’t know what you’ve done to me, but I’m hooked. I think it’s time for your boyfriend to start worrying.” He stepped back and I blinked and closed my mouth. Before I could argue, he jogged ahead me, barreling up the stairs. I watched him leave and took my own deep breath before slowly following him in.

What the hell had just happened? To clear my head, I tried to focus on the Writing assignment I'd finished for class. A class I shared with…

Damn it.

Last edited:

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - that Tate's a confident one, huh?
I thought the dialogue was great, and I really, really want to know what happens next. So you hooked me - very quickly. Well done.
Was it hot? Well, Tate and Emily thought so, and you got that across very well.
Keep going - you're doing great.

katrina_wooooo

Registered
Reaction score
So, when she and Tate are having their staring fest, I have no idea how she's reacting. For Tate, the intensity was probably her stare or the 'passion' he feels, but I don't know if it's the same for her, but I want to. Maybe she feels like she's betraying Mike and wants to get away. Maybe she's forgetting her name and can't move, but I'm sure she's reacting somehow. That would make the moment even more intense for the reader, because at the moment, it's just a cozy description of his eyes.

Just my 2 cents.

goatprincess

untitled
Registered
Reaction score
I also wanted to know more about what's going on inside the MC. I wanted to feel how it's intense for her. Apart from that, I like it. It reads well. Just that short snippet told me a lot about both characters.

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
i wouldn't call his hair chocolate covered. eyes and skin are chocolate. chocolate hair just makes me wnat to eat it since he can spare some

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I quite liked that.

I thought his reaction afterwards, though, saying 'That was intense' was a bit OTN. It would seem more natural(*) if he tried to play it down - it would show that it REALLY shook him - for once he didn't have a smooth reply.

Good luck,

Mac

(*) Disclaimer: More natural = From my POV - and I'm not your target audience

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of things felt clunky.

“Couldn’t wait to see me, huh?” someone said from behind me.

remove the second "me" - it isn't really needed and jars with the first "me"

I watched him leave and took several of my own deep breaths

I thought the fourth paragraph from the end could do with chopping, to give the MC's thoughts their own para - as in dialogue.

remove "of my own" - unless she could take someone else's deep breaths :)

You might even want to remove "several". Try taking several deep breaths; it feels uncomfortable unless you are really out of breath - more believable to take one deep breath and sigh.
ie:

...They seemed to soften as I gazed back into them.

He's so beautiful, I thought breathlessly. He's so fantastically beautiful.

My heart pounded in my ears until finally, Tate exhaled and looked down

this also adds a little movement of time to the event, stretching it out a little longer.

Just a suggestion, though; not really a criticism. Any help?

Suprswimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow. This is... WOW. I like this ALOT. I can't think of any editing changes that haven't been said, but you had me HOOKED from the very beginning! AWSOME JOB ROSKOEBABY!!!!
I can't wait to read some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.