Exploding propane tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
My MC is trying to save stuff from a house being engulfed by a forest fire. Out in the back yard is a 100 gallon propane tank. When the fire reaches the tank, what happens? I assume the heat would so expand the gas it would explode, like a bomb, but I have never seen or heard of such a thing.

Any expert exploders here?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...I assume it will explode when it gets hot enough. There has to be a reason they don't like to put them too close to the house or that I have to ask how close the propane tank is when I get a call of a fire of any kind.

But can I speak with absolute authority? No. Sorry.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
The tanks have a pressue release valve that allows propane to spew when pressure rises too high. It makes for a crowd pleasing flame if there is a spark source. My tank malfunctioned and spewed last winter. Smelled it as we walked up from the barn...did not continue to walk to the house, but went to a neighbor's to call...well, Kristie...ok 911 here.
Note the a one hundred gallon tank (odd size... our area has a standard of 125 gal allowed to be *right next to* a residence) will knock a house of its foundation if it explodes. You can relocate your garage with only a 25 gal mishap.
While a very rapid fire engulfing a house will get fed by the releasing propane, it could still be possible for the heat to essentially overtake the valve's ability to release and make the tank rupture.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I think 125's are the norm for a small residence. I've seen one go "Woosh" before. Heat of a house fire caused the valve to fail and flames shot up about 50 feet until the gas ran out.

Course I've also seen a barbecue grill tank blow and punch a hole in a house wall. (small hole, about 5 feet diameter. The vertical studs were still there.)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
There were those 'flubbed' propane-tank-based (I presume the small size used in outdoor grills) car bombs a couple months back (what actually burned were several containers of gasoline) - cnn.com had a CNN video of some experts they had called in to make such a bomb and explode it (they of course did not give the details of how to make the propane tank explode, which did NOT happen in the car-bomb attempts, and is apparently not as easy to do as the terrorists thought). It was impressive.

I haven't seen or heard of a tank itself explode at a residence, but I heard of a trailer fire where the firefighters were watering down the propane tank (which sits about a foot away from the trailer in that particular trailer park). I recall that these tanks were 100 gallon capacity and 'sat' vertically about five feet tall. Another trailer had gas leaking, perhaps a stove burner was left on without being lit, and it (the trailer) exploded big time (no one was in it at the time). I lived in the park, had gone to the grocery store when it happened and didn't hear it but noticed a fire truck down the street when I got back. There was fiberglass insulation everywhere. Someone a few trailers away said it was really loud and scary. I took pics the next day and have them around somewhere. This may be more dramatic than a tank exploding since the gas gets well-mixed with air before exploding.

Status
Not open for further replies.