sassandgroove
08-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Are you ready?

133 days until Dec 25th!
99 DAYS
91 days!!!!!!!!!!

ACK! 70 Days!!!

OMG! 54 days.

I just bought two gifts. I don't want to be slammed in Dec.

I need to make a list of who is getting cards, who is getting handmade gifts, and who gets handmade and an extra gift.

I bought cards on clearance in January.

I am not going to be stressed this year.

ETA: To change days.

III
08-14-2007, 01:42 AM
What'd you get me?

sassandgroove
08-14-2007, 01:43 AM
Um...A lump of coal.

:D

sassandgroove
08-14-2007, 01:44 AM
How long is frozen turkey good for? We rec'd one from Mr. Groove's work last year and it is still in our freezer.

III
08-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Um...A lump of coal.

:D

Sweet. Stick it up your butt and it'll be a diamond by Christmas!

MidnightMuse
08-14-2007, 01:45 AM
You know what coal's for, dontcha?

Yep - Sassypants is gonna make you a DIAMOND! Better than one from DeBeers.

Siddow
08-14-2007, 01:46 AM
I only play Santa Claus. Everyone else can just come over for the buffet and White Elephant Party on Christmas Eve, or they can just get...eggnogged.

sassandgroove
08-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Sweet. Stick it up your butt and it'll be a diamond by Christmas!
Now don't be so uptight about it. Sheesh.

Backward Masking
08-14-2007, 02:09 AM
Well hot damn! Maybe the weather will get on board with this train of thought and stop trying to incinerate us Midwest folk.

MidnightMuse
08-14-2007, 02:16 AM
Now don't be so uptight about it. Sheesh.

Uptight IS how one makes a diamond :D

Backward Masking
08-14-2007, 02:24 AM
Uptight IS how one makes a diamond :D

And diamonds are forever.

JoeEkaitis
08-14-2007, 02:35 AM
Dang! Time to stock up!

http://theimaginaryworld.com/tic322.jpg http://theimaginaryworld.com/pax148.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/box679.jpg http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/looneystuff.safeshopper.com/images/c1dr254.jpg http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/OT262196S.jpg http://www.pretzels-inc.com/images/pretzel_sticks-b.gif http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00159/images/margarine.jpg http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pictures/standard/bcce3406.jpg

I make it old school. "Bagel chips"? Fah!

Backward Masking
08-14-2007, 02:39 AM
Sure some of that stuff isn't past expiration?

JoeEkaitis
08-14-2007, 02:46 AM
Sure some of that stuff isn't past expiration?Original recipe, original ingredients. It's getting harder and harder to find unopened boxes of genuine Ralston Purina Chex cereal!

Shady Lane
08-14-2007, 02:47 AM
I'm excited already. I love Christmas. And I'm a little Jewish Girl.

*points to sig*

JoeEkaitis
08-14-2007, 03:19 AM

*points to sig*Right up yer alley!

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B6EYBF5NL._AA240_.jpg (http://oytotheworld.com/)

(You know you want to click on it!) :)

zahra
08-14-2007, 03:33 AM

*points to sig*
I love Xmas too. But not in August.

That's just wrong.

Bmwhtly
08-14-2007, 11:37 AM
I heard it on the radio this morning, 19 weeks? it is getting close.

But I'm a man, so I don't have to start present shopping until the 20th. :)

mum23
08-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Yes and I've started shopping too. Think "In the night Garden" is going to be the hottie this year.

sassandgroove
08-14-2007, 07:09 PM
I love Xmas too. But not in August.

That's just wrong.
I just don't want to be slammed money wise in Dec. Or Stress wise. I figure if I start now, I'll be relaxing when everyone else is running around like a chicken with their head cut off.

132 Days until Dec. 25

Ohh, I should get a ticker factory, eh?

reigningcatsndogs
08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
I can't believe it:Shrug:
Yes, I have most of my shopping done, except for hubby and son #1 (son #2 is sooo easy to shop for). But my Mommy called yesterday to say that my present from her and one of my sisters should arrive here tomorrow, and I am supposed to open it up right away to make sure it isn't broken! (How the heck does that make it a Christmas present??) I have no idea what it is that can't wait, and I'm curious, but also a bit sad. This really pushes the season too early!

sassandgroove
08-14-2007, 07:45 PM
That is pushing it. Maybe someone else can open it for you, then if it isn't broken, wrap it back up for you to wait until Christmas.

reigningcatsndogs
08-14-2007, 07:55 PM
That is pushing it. Maybe someone else can open it for you, then if it isn't broken, wrap it back up for you to wait until Christmas.
ohhhhh, good idea :D

sort of...the curiosity will kill me now!!

sassandgroove
08-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Have them hide it for you. ;) Frankly I think it is mean to send a gift in August that is intended for Christmas.

So much to do so much to do.

Must make lists. Lists.. and a countdown sheet.

III
08-14-2007, 08:01 PM
MERRY NEW YEAR!

Happy New Year. In America we say "Happy New Year".

HA HA HA Thank you for correcting my English, which stinks!

(Anyone guess what I watched this weekend?)

sassandgroove
08-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Yay! I got a ticker! See?

jennifer75
08-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Are you ready?

133 days until Dec 25th!

I need to make a list of who is getting cards, who is getting handmade gifts, and who gets handmade and an extra gift.

Personally, I think it was really wrotten of you to throw this news at us so early. Really. Some of us me really aren't ready for this.

sassandgroove
08-17-2007, 07:50 PM
See, I don't want to be stressed out at Christmas, that's why I figured this out this year. I am making lists and checking them twice...
I am making a countdown schedule....

threedogpeople
08-17-2007, 07:54 PM
TURKEY :roll: !!! can be left in the freezer for a year (if it is whole).

BTW - I looked on the FDA web site.

Regarding your early Christmas shopping - BRAGGER. :tongue

The rest of us are clinging to the last few weeks of summer and you are talking about Christmas, snow, ice, rain, gray skies...shudder, gasp.

Only good thoughts I'm having about Christmas right now is that I'll be at my Mom's house. That means, great food (that I don't have to cook) and as much spoiling as I want. Hey, now I'm feeling better about Christmas coming.

Judy

Kate Thornton
08-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Although we do not believe in anyone's religious holidays, we are more than happy to celebrate *ALL* of them - well, the ones we know about anyway. If there's an obscure holiday out there that involves anything fun or happy, we want to know about it. That means we give gifts and have celebratory dinners and gatherings all year long. Practically non-stop. Christmas is always a fun one because we get to put up the colored lights outside. I like that part a lot. But we do not allow stress or overspending or unpleasant people in the house.

Sassy one, if a list helps you cope, go for it! But remember to dwell on the happy part.

davids
08-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Although we do not believe in anyone's religious holidays, we are more than happy to celebrate *ALL* of them - well, the ones we know about anyway. If there's an obscure holiday out there that involves anything fun or happy, we want to know about it. That means we give gifts and have celebratory dinners and gatherings all year long. Practically non-stop. Christmas is always a fun one because we get to put up the colored lights outside. I like that part a lot. But we do not allow stress or overspending or unpleasant people in the house.

Sassy one, if a list helps you cope, go for it! But remember to dwell on the happy part.

Bah humbugers-just taking the chance to practice-growls deeply and passes out face first in his gruel

Jaycinth
08-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Last year at this time I planned a Christmas ski trip to Massanutten...and paid for it in advance.

By mid Dec I discovered I was gonna have to work that week so I put the vacation on Craig's list....

and sold it for twice what I paid...

and then it was too warm to ski that week...heck there was no snow and folks were playing golf in shirt sleeves...

but my kids got some nice stuff and the extra cash paid for an extra college class.

This year I'm looking at Florida...

Oh. You mean Holiday shopping for others. Altruism!

This year it wil be easy. I'm going to make cards and give everyone who has kids...booze.

jodiodi
08-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Regarding Turkey--If you've never brined one, this might be the year to try it. Being in the freezer for a year or more may cause some degradation in the flavor or juiciness and brining it adds back moisture and is a chance to add some flavor. We brine ours and every one turns out exquistely juicy.

I've already started buying gifts. In fact, I start the day after Christmas and pick up things throughout the year.

I love the cooking and wrapping and decorating.

sassandgroove
08-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Oh jodiodi, THANKS! Um...how do you brine it?

I think Alton Brown did a show on that.
I better check my cook books.
Thinking I'll have Thanksgiving at my house just to cook the thing.:D

laurel29
08-17-2007, 11:41 PM
I started christmas shopping about 3 weeks ago. The air was chilly and I the scent of woodsmoke was floating around. It felt like autumn. I immediately felt the urge to bake something. :) This is our first Christmas in our own house and I want it to be a lot of fun. Our motto this year is less presents, more presence.

KTC
08-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Are you ready?

133 days until Dec 25th!

Shut up!

sassandgroove
08-18-2007, 12:01 AM
You can't make me!

*Shouts* MOM, Kevin told me to shut up!

sassandgroove
08-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Our motto this year is less presents, more presence.
Ohhh, Can i quote you in my sig line?

Unique
08-18-2007, 12:49 AM
aw, Christmas.

sass - I haven't even finished with Easter yet. Who's messin' with the calendar.

Oh. We don't use Julian anymore? How bout that Mayan thingy? No?

Crap.

Got a dolla? Holla!

sassandgroove
08-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Assets so far:
1. Bought cards and christmas fabric on clearance in Jan.
2. Have ordered two gifts.
3. Know the next two gifts I am ordering, waiting for pay day.
4. Know what I am making as home made gifts.
5. Christmas Ticker! :D

Target Dates: (so far)
Thanksgiving is November 22nd
Mail Cards by December 3rd
Mail gifts by December 12th

Elincoln
08-18-2007, 05:12 AM
So I'm not the only one thinking ahead.

I'm actually planning my Holiday party right now (in my head. I swear!). Thinking cocktails and appitizers.

As for gift buying...that's what Amazon is for.

To be honest, my head's really on Halloween. Little one want to be Aurora (Sleeping Beauty). I want her to have a costume that can last atleast three parties as well as Trick-or-Treat night. Which means two things: Rent one or sew it myself.

Maryn, I need some advice!

jodiodi
08-18-2007, 06:45 AM
How to brine: (I adapted recipes from Alton Brown and several different editions of Gourmet and Bon Appetit)

3 lb Kosher salt
1 gallon apple cider (not juice)
2 gallons water
peeled garlic cloves (as much as you like; I use about 1 1/2 cups)
Fresh herbs of choice: Parsely, sage, rosemary, thyme, savory, bay leaves--I use them all)
1 cup mixed peppercorns (black, pink, green)

mix the liquids and the salt together. Stir until the salt's dissolved, then add all the rest of the ingredients. Put your turkey (or roast or boston butt--whatever) in the liquid. Brine for 24 hours or more. Either put the container with the brining in the refrigerator or use a cooler that's been sterilized (bleached and cleaned) and put ice packs inside to keep the temperature cold. (Williams-Sonoma also has brining bags. Depending on the size of the meat, you might be able to use them. I use the cooler method, myself.) When you're ready to cook it, take it out, rinse the turkey inside and out, discard everything else (remember to sterilize the cooler again). Rub butter over the skin and season as you usually do. (I make an herb butter rub with sage, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and rub it under the skin and inside the cavities, then put slices of onion, carrots, bell pepper and celery in the cavities for roasting--loosely laid inside.) Then cook as you usually do. Make sure you tent the breast with foil.

Anyway, that's my much beloved turkey recipe--I've fed hundreds over the years with it (been cooking since I was 7).

Now my dressing is another matter entirely--it's so rich it makes my jaw hurt, but it is soooo gooooood!

Susie
08-18-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm in for one of the two gifts, right Sass? :D

laurel29
08-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Ohhh, Can i quote you in my sig line?
Sure. :)

sassandgroove
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
thanks all!

III
08-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Shouldn't your avatar be wearing something more Christmas-y? It's hard to take your commitment to Christmas seriously while you're wearing a sombrero.

sassandgroove
08-20-2007, 10:50 PM
They celebrate CHristmas in Mexico. And New Mexico, where I was born.

KTC
08-20-2007, 10:52 PM
SHUT IT DOWN!

sassandgroove
08-20-2007, 10:54 PM
NO!!!

III
08-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Apparently they don't celebrate Christmas in Canada. You've offended KTC. This is why NAFTA will never work.

sassandgroove
08-20-2007, 11:01 PM
not so I googled Christmas in Canada and got lots of pics.
http://www.panderjam.com/communities/004/005/620/251/images/4515370701.jpg

sassandgroove
08-20-2007, 11:02 PM
So this weekend I went and bought some supplies for my hand made christmas gifts. :D

Danger Jane
08-20-2007, 11:03 PM
I want it to be cold so bad. I hate hot weather. I hate it I hate it I hate it. And I live in a beach town.

sassandgroove
08-20-2007, 11:06 PM
unfortunately for me, in ALABAMA, it probably won't be cold. They still talk about the blizzard from 1993 around these parts.

III
08-20-2007, 11:10 PM
I want it to be cold so bad. I hate hot weather. I hate it I hate it I hate it. And I live in a beach town.

And you hate French Fries. You must have been a terrible person in your last life to be sentenced to living in what most people would consider paradise, yet for you it's torture. Make sure you try harder this time around.

laurel29
08-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Today I had a couple hours (with only one of my children tagging along) to go Christmas shopping. I got everyones birthday out of the way first (all 4 have autumn or winter birthdays) and then I picked up stocking stuffers for my daughters and some books for my sons. A little here and there works really well for me, but a lot of people can't believe I'm doing it so early. I have a list of things I think we need and I break it into sections, that way I'm usually done before Halloween.

When everyone starts going crazy I feel a little left out though... I've always wanted to go to one of those early morning sales. I know I'd hate it, but it would definitely be an experience. No one has ever elbowed me or shoved me trying to get the last of something. I wonder if that really happens? I think I would find it really funny. Then again, I have a very odd sense of humor.

sassandgroove
08-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Oh I worked retail on Black Friday once. It was interesting. Normally I stay in bed quite late on the Friday after Thanksgiving, then pig out on leftovers.

jodiodi
08-21-2007, 12:26 AM
I rarely if ever go shopping on Black Friday. I try to do my shopping along and along. Still, though, I will go out and shop during the actual season just because I enjoy it so much. My widowed uncle got out of the hospital 3 days before Christmas. He wasn't able to go shopping and so he gave me a budget and told me just to get a little something for a few people on his list. Well, on Dec 22, I did all his Christmas shopping, got everyone on his list something and even added some others he hadn't thought he'd be able to buy for, and STILL came in under budget (including paper and bows and tape and lables). I went to his house and wrapped them all that night for him and we had our extended family Christmas party on the 23rd. He told me, "Next year, we'll start earlier." He died that February. So, I was glad I was able to do something for him that Christmas and make it a happy one for him.

sassandgroove
08-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Oh thank you for sharing that lovely story with us.

sassandgroove
08-29-2007, 11:10 PM
YIKES!
118 DAYS and I didn't do anything over the weekend! ACK!

acharity
08-29-2007, 11:18 PM
I started shopping for it a while back (: I'm just over half way done, bwahahaha >.> Plus I, too, bought all of my cards, wrapping paper, etc., on boxing day ^^ I ordered the majority of my things online, since it's so hard to find what my shopping-list-people want! XD But ah well, avoid the rush! Though I'll probably still go out to bask in the wonder that is frenzy shopping.

Christine N.
08-30-2007, 01:09 AM
I have...ideas for gifts.

Got an Avon order today, always comes with a catalog. Lots of good giftie ideas in there. The Derek Jeter collection of scent for men had a smelly page. MMmmmmm....it smells good! Hubby should smell like that. Stocking stuffers!

Then a big old gift catalog came in the mail. Yes, yes!

maestrowork
08-30-2007, 01:13 AM
Cripes.

Say, where can you buy coal?

RumpleTumbler
08-30-2007, 01:14 AM
I only have 2 presents to buy so I don't have to start this early.

Christine N.
08-30-2007, 01:42 AM
I wish!

This year there's two more nephews, a niece and a step-mother to add to my list. Sigh. I usually find some craft and make it for everyone. Last year was beaded tea-ball ornaments. They were a big hit, but took forever.

So I need something for this year. I have some crafty things stashed that I'm thinking would make great gifts for some people. Then I need the rest.

On the upside, my cousin and I have decided not to exchange, just give the kids gifts, and my aunt and uncle followed suit. So I have a few fewer to buy. But there's still a loonnnnggggg list.

sassandgroove
09-01-2007, 12:50 AM
116 Days!

how are you going to use the long weekend? (in the U.S. anyway.)

jodiodi
09-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Going to Chicago to see the mother-in-law and buy her a new stove and clean out her flooded basement and haggle with repair people. 8 hour drive with me, the husband, 3 kids and 3 dogs in 1 pathfinder SUV. After work.

Happy happy, joy joy.

imagoodgurl4
09-01-2007, 01:10 AM
I usually buy everyone gifts, but this year, since I just graduated college and have a car payment and rent and need to start paying back all those dang loans, I told everyone they're getting homemade Xmas gifts.

No idea what I'm doing to celebrate Xmas, though. I live in Mass and most of my Dad's family lives up here and I live near my aunts and grandma...but my parents, stepparents, sibling, and stepbrothers live in CT...guess it depends on if I can get away from work for an extra day.

Elincoln
09-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Thanks a lot Sassy.

Everytime I see this thread, I start looking at the Hallmark website for Christmas Cards. Keep this up and I'll be sending them out by Halloween.

(P.S., I got gifts for all the HOLers now.)

Soccer Mom
09-01-2007, 11:11 PM
http://lolcats.com/images/u/07/27/lolcatsdotcomvpsmvilokdtoj2y8.jpg

sassandgroove
09-08-2007, 01:19 AM
erm...long weekend spent taking care of injured dog and worrying about Dad in hospital. Dad is home now and dog is improving.

This weekend I am going to buy some supplies for my homemade gifts and order some gifts that are not homemade. :D

109 days left until christmas.
84 until Dec 1. YIPES

JoeEkaitis
09-08-2007, 02:51 AM
A little Ray, anyone?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/d7/c1/581c1363ada061d4a527c010.L.jpg

sassandgroove
09-10-2007, 06:23 PM
OKAY SO! I bought some stuff this weekend and ordered a gift. Next paycheck I am buying more gifts and I am going to start putting together my homemade gifts. I am going to work on them in earnest in late oct/november. I want to have them ready to ship early Dec. I plan on doing cards on thanksgiving weekend.

sassandgroove
09-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I ordered another gift yesterday.

Off to prepare for home made gifts.

MidnightMuse
09-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Goodness me! Such a dynamo, this one :)

I've fallen out of love with Christmas so much lately - family issues really ruin it. Four of us are trying to find a way out of Christmas-at-their-house, but it's looking futile.

But as for gifts - apparently if I just write checks, they're all happy.

sassandgroove
09-11-2007, 10:27 PM
I have a freind, Mary (we'll call her.) When She first got married she decided instead of trying to please parents and in-laws and other relatives, she said, " We're celebrating at our house. YOu are welcome to join us." And left it at that. No one came, but no one hasseled her.

KTC
09-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a friend, we'll call him Charlie, who got this really crappy tree. But eventually, he...and the shitty people he calls friends...discovered the true spirit of Christmas breathing in the heart of that pathetic little stick. I was moved that Christmas.

sassandgroove
09-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Oh Kevin....

JoeEkaitis
09-14-2007, 11:18 PM
May we pound to a bloody bag of broken bones anyone who merely asks:

"Can I put my 'Jingle Dogs' and 'Jingle Cats' CDs in the changer?"

I thought I read it's actually required by Federal law or something like that.

sassandgroove
09-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Certainly.

Ohhhh...so excited, a gift I ordered came today. Feel so 'put together.'

TrainofThought
09-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Ohhhh...so excited, a gift I ordered came today. Feel so 'put together.'Christmas gifts already? You're sick Sass... Let me take that back and ask, "If I give you my Christmas list, will you shop for me?"

sassandgroove
09-14-2007, 11:50 PM
For a fee.;)

TrainofThought
09-14-2007, 11:52 PM
For a fee.;)How about $2 for store bought gifts and $1 for on-line?

KTC
09-14-2007, 11:56 PM
christmas sucks.

hey. but in january i go to PV...so I will do the countdown too.

sassandgroove
09-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Er- I'm not braving the mall for a meer $2 a gift.

Oh kevin don't be a humbug.

jodiodi
09-15-2007, 06:36 AM
OOh! I'll do your shopping for you! As a reference, see one of my previous posts in this thread.

benbradley
09-15-2007, 07:57 AM
unfortunately for me, in ALABAMA, it probably won't be cold. They still talk about the blizzard from 1993 around these parts.
That was March 13, I was going to run my first 10k in Atlanta. The T-shirt has that date on it (and the flyer/application did say rain or shine!), but they rescheduled it for April.

benbradley
09-15-2007, 07:59 AM
You know what coal's for, dontcha?

Yep - Sassypants is gonna make you a DIAMOND! Better than one from DeBeers.

Just like in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," this one will be from DeButts.

laurel29
09-15-2007, 05:51 PM
This morning I organized the gifts I stashed in my closet and I put together my order for toy4minds. Looking over things, I seem to have purchased a lot of books for people. I have to go return something that I bought and my husband bought as well. I haven't purchased any cards yet. I'm horrible about sending cards. Usually I buy them, fill them out, address them, affix postage and promptly forget they exist until Christmas Eve when I hand them to relatives :(. I'm such a dope.

Hillary
09-15-2007, 07:29 PM
This is a truly horrifying thread.

We haven't had the Autumnal Equinox, Halloween or Thanksgiving yet. If people are going to start celebrating Christmas THIS early, I'm adding a new holiday. It's going to be called "Hillary offs herself."

RumpleTumbler
09-16-2007, 01:44 AM
This is a truly horrifying thread.

We haven't had the Autumnal Equinox, Halloween or Thanksgiving yet. If people are going to start celebrating Christmas THIS early, I'm adding a new holiday. It's going to be called "Hillary offs herself."

What will be the official method?

sassandgroove
09-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Bah Humbug Hillary. We're ORGANIZING. It is not HORRIFYING. What is horrifying is stressing out inDecember and NOT enjoying the holiday. I want to enjoy the holiday. I will be sipping hot chocolate by my tree while everyone else will be running around in a mad rush holly daze. So there. :D

sassandgroove
09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Um...so I did NOTHING, NOTHING this weekend (Christmas related.)

jodiodi
09-17-2007, 10:26 PM
We (stepdaughter and I) rearranged the cabinets in the kitchen t his weekend and put the dishes we know we'll use at the holidays in convenient places. Also catalogued the pantry so we know what we need to get for the feasts.

KTC
09-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Er- I'm not braving the mall for a meer $2 a gift.

Oh kevin don't be a humbug.

Here I was thinking there was a subliminal message of some sort when you spelled it Keving?

sassandgroove
09-17-2007, 11:02 PM
I guess I am just used to typing a G after IN, becuase Itype Keving quite often, I just usually catch it before I post. (Sheepish gring)

JOdi, that is a great, no, excellent, idea.

Unique
09-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Christmas has been canceled this year.

Please make a note of it. Thank you.

sassandgroove
09-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Well, Mine is in full swing. HA! You wanna come to my house, Unique? I have a spare bedroom.

TrainofThought
09-17-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm not buying gifts this year, so that will resolve my stress.

laurel29
09-17-2007, 11:56 PM
I researched kid-friendly Christmas-craft ideas and gathered supplies this past weekend. I also worked out a few holiday menu's with my daughters and bought a bunch of baking ingredients. We went to the farm to pick apples and baked a yummy pie. Then I ate too much yummy pie. It was warm and covered with vanilla ice cream... I couldn't help myself.

I am almost done shopping. YAY! Only around 4 or 5 more things to pick up. I had a productive weekend, but today I was a mess.

I went to exchange something, but when I got to the store I realized I had left it hanging on the front door... which is, of course, where I put it so I wouldn't forget it. :o Next time, I may staple it to my leg.
I didn't have time to go back and get it so I'll have to do it Wednesday.

Then I bought my son a nice pair Japanese style tea cups (he loves tea and is studying Japanese culture) for Christmas and upon arriving home I promptly dropped them. :(

I am so out of it today that Christmas errands was probably not a good idea. Example: I scheduled all 4 kids dentist appointments for today. I didn't send the early pick up notes in and, of course, I made all of them for the same time... in offices an hour away from one another. I am truly an idiot. :e2cry:
This is what happens when I schedule things without my calender.

It ended up being a good thing that I had to cancel everything because my father-in-law had to be rushed to the emergency room this afternoon.

Unique
09-18-2007, 03:14 AM
Well, Mine is in full swing. HA! You wanna come to my house, Unique? I have a spare bedroom.

aww...thanks, sass. I don't think I can but I appreciate the offer. :)

RumpleTumbler
09-18-2007, 03:18 AM

But.....the stench........

Unique
09-18-2007, 03:23 AM
But.....the stench........

but she didn't invite you...:Huh:

sassandgroove
09-25-2007, 07:08 PM
91 Days!

I bought some supplies last weekend. My desk is clean and now I feel I can move to front bedroom to work. Next weekend, I am bringing up shelves so I can have a place to put my craft things, then I am bringing up my craft things then Ican work on my hand made gifts.

MidnightMuse
09-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Ya know what? My sister and I are working on a plan that should - if delivered correctly and with the right combination of politeness and assertation - get us out of the dreaded family Christmas tradition and allow us to -- for ONCE -- finally have our ideal, perfect Christmas.

With my luck it'll backfire, we'll be even more blacklisted by our mother and other sister, the family will hate us forever and demand we sit around with them on Christmas day (while they suddenly vanish and leave us, as usual, in charge of babysitting the 299-year old woman who is now both blind and deaf).

But ya gots-ta try, eh?

sassandgroove
09-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Good luck with that. Family can be stressful, I know. I am curious what your plan is.

MidnightMuse
09-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Well my ideal Christmas - my idea of the PERFECT way to spend Christmas day, would be to stay home, sleep late, then shower, get into some fresh, clean jammies, have a fancy breakfast, start a turkey dinner going with all the yummies, then curl up on the couch with some veggies and dip and watch DVDs ALL DAY LONG.

But that'll never fly as an excuse to get out of the dreaded Let's Ruin Their Plans Because They're Both Single And Don't Count rule.

So we're gonna try sneaking in the back door with this plan of wanting to spend Christmas in a lovely cabin at the ocean - offering Mom and her husband the chance to come along if they'd like - knowing the other sister and her family won't want to go there (they'd rather go up the mountains and ski for Christmas).

I predict tragedy, however.

RumpleTumbler
09-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Well my ideal Christmas - my idea of the PERFECT way to spend Christmas day, would be to stay home, sleep late, then shower, get into some fresh, clean jammies, have a fancy breakfast, start a turkey dinner going with all the yummies, then curl up on the couch with some veggies and dip and watch DVDs ALL DAY LONG.

But that'll never fly as an excuse to get out of the dreaded Let's Ruin Their Plans Because They're Both Single And Don't Count rule.

So we're gonna try sneaking in the back door with this plan of wanting to spend Christmas in a lovely cabin at the ocean - offering Mom and her husband the chance to come along if they'd like - knowing the other sister and her family won't want to go there (they'd rather go up the mountains and ski for Christmas).

I predict tragedy, however.

I must know what a 'fancy' breakfast is.

I must also know why you sleep in dirty pj's.

MidnightMuse
09-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Fancy breakfast is anything that didn't come off the baker rack at Starbucks.

I don't sleep in dirty jammies - but I don't wanna spend ALL DAY in the jammies I did sleep in, do I?

RumpleTumbler
09-25-2007, 10:09 PM
I don't sleep in dirty jammies - but I don't wanna spend ALL DAY in the jammies I did sleep in, do I?

Nope, I missed the shower. I would definitely change after a shower.

MidnightMuse
09-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Oh heck, my family stopped giving us presents years ago. We all made that aggreement - then it morphed into (let's just not open presents in front of them, but we can still give them to each other).

I haven't had a present since 1997.

jodiodi
09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I admit, I like getting and giving gifts.

They don't have to be expensive gifts to make me happy. I just like unwrapping the presents. Give me some erasers from the 10 for $1 rack. I don't care. Just wrap it up.

As for giving gifts, I get a rush from seeing people open up something and getting a pleasant surprise. I love seeing them happy.

Of course, we have to get the kids something and, more importantly, our dogs get tons of stuff.

sassandgroove
09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I thought about asking to stop exchanging gifts with my aunts, as I can't reciprocate in kind financially, but then it dawned on me that if my parents didn't exchange gifts with the aunts and uncles, then they'd have each other's gifts and mine. Not much for them, so I kept my trap shut. THat's when I started making gifts.

Also now that I am older and have young relatives, who I want to shower with gifts but don't expect anything in return, I understand why my aunts, especially one of them, showers me with gifts. :D

sassandgroove
09-26-2007, 12:52 AM
I know. I know.

I am sorry. I have an Aunt that doesn't get it either. She means well, but she doesn't get it. I have never, ever, worn make up. I have had in on, yes, but only about 5 times. So what does she give me one year. A big honkin' pack of make up with lipsticks, blushers and God knows what else. I regifted it. I don't understand people who ask what you want then don't want to get you what you want. *shakes head.* I wasn't meaning to rile people up with this thread....

Turkey Lurkey, lets eat that cake together and commiserate.

sassandgroove
09-26-2007, 01:03 AM
I like your list of good things. The ash on the hearth is a good one, I'll have to remember that when/if I have kids.

I am not dressy either. your relative just sounds fussy and rude. *mumbles to self* pink frilly dress my ass....

MidnightMuse
09-26-2007, 01:03 AM
There's a lot I love about Christmas - aside from the obvious religious reasons - I love how it's so dark so early in the day. I love the smell of cinnamon and pumpkin spices, even though I don't like pumpkin pie. I love hot chocolate (soy) milk with (soy) whipped cream on top and peppermint schnapps poured in.

I adore all the lights. My house is the only one on the block that puts up lights, and they're on a timer, so they come on at dusk and go off at dawn.

I love snow! We get so little of it here, and rarely ever before January.

I love sitting on the couch wearing sweat pants, a sweat shirt, warm fuzzy socks with a blanket over my lap and two cats snuggled close.

I love the smell of pine branches, and picking sprigs of holly from the trees in my front yard.

sassandgroove
09-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Wait!?!?!? THere is SOY whipped cream? Where? This opens up a whole new world!

MidnightMuse
09-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Oh joyous rapture of joys, there IS ! It's new - found in the soy milk/health food section of my local Fred Meyer.

HEAVEN in a spray bottle :D

sassandgroove
09-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Bah! I live in Alabama. it was 90 today. I lived in So cal for 7 years. Summer, Summer, Summer, and Summer with rain. The holidays always snuck on me becuase there wasn't really a change in whether. I'd be in flip flops and shorts and we'd be preparing for Thanksgiving at the pre school where I worked. WHAT? We're already planning that? Here in Al it's a little better, but they still talk about the snow from 1993, so I am not holding my breath on that front.And Fall/winter is my fave! ACtually I think what I miss is the change in season, I just fell nostalgic for the cold since I don't get it much.

sassandgroove
10-17-2007, 01:06 AM
ACK!! 70 days and counting. Didn't do a darn thing over the weekend! ACK ACK ACK!!!

MidnightMuse
10-17-2007, 01:07 AM
My sister and I believe we've managed to make the transition, and are hopeful for a real Christmas this year, doing what WE want :)

sassandgroove
10-17-2007, 01:10 AM
GOod for you!

On a funny note, I made this ticker using the pregnancy feature so it would count days, not weeks and months. BUt I didn't realize that while it counted down DAYS, it counted UP the WEEKS. So that if I had a baby due on the 25th of Dec I would be 30 weeks along. A freind of mine told me she wanted to lose 37 pounds by CHristmas and I told her I would too, thinking it would be a little over a pound a week. ACK! It is more like 10 weeks to CHristmas. Boy did I feel stupido! :D:D

jodiodi
10-17-2007, 01:12 AM
I grew up with a huge extended family that gathered for every holiday so I have great memories of Christmas past. Those memories, however, are a double-edged sword because now that pretty much all of the family is either dead or spread out and no longer close, it sometimes hurts to remember it.

But, now with my husband's kids, we have grand old holidays. Their mom isn't much for doing the big dinner and lavish decoration thing, so we do all that at our house with trees in every room, decorations outside and in, and tons of cooking. Although I never ever intend to be a 'grandma', I really look forward to when the kids grow up and marry and have children of their own. I was an only child and always wanted a big family for holidays and Sunday dinners. My doggie girls have all been spayed so they won't be giving us grandkids. Hence, I have to count on my stepkids.

sassandgroove
10-17-2007, 01:14 AM
My mom calls our new puppy her Grand Dog.

tjwriter
10-17-2007, 01:26 AM
We did this really neat thing for Christmas last year. With Piper being just under 1, I didn't want to overwhelm her. So, my parents and my brother came over at 7am where we had a big ol' Christmas Breakfast and did presents, watching Piper play with all her new stuff.

Then the husband's family always does their thing at noon, so we went over there and had an afternoon meal.

Then we had the evening to ourselves, and Piper didn't get super worn out and stay up way past her bedtime.

My mom's family always does dessert night, where we bring desserts and appetizers, and exchange gifts. It used to be on Christmas night, but as everyone's families and schedules have grown, we usually opt for the weekend after.

I have yet to start shopping, but I'm working on a list, so that has to count for something.

imagoodgurl4
10-17-2007, 03:12 AM
I used to love Christmas....now it's just a hassel for me. I live in MA and my parents live in CT, so then I have to drive a couple hours to get there. Then my brother and I spend Xmas eve with our dad and stepmom and stepbrothers and then we spend Xmas day with our mom and her boyfriend and his parents (whom I cannot stand) at his parents' house. I always hate going to their house.

But this year, my mom decided to have Xmas day at her house, so that will make for a much nicer holiday (even though her boyfriend's parents will still be there...but you can't win them all, lol).

MidnightMuse, your Xmas plan sounds wonderful. :) Want some company? Lol.

sassandgroove
11-01-2007, 10:40 PM
54 days. I haven't done squat lately. Better get crackin'!

sassandgroove
11-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Is it time to panic yet?

Little Red Barn
11-08-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm beginning to think about turkey day, does this help? Nothing yet for Christmas... :(

sassandgroove
11-08-2007, 01:55 AM
my goal for mailing is dec 5. so that's 28 days to make my gifts. and do cards. of those 28 days I have 12 days off from work (including vacation). Ok. I can breath. I totally feel better now.

better get started.

Christine N.
11-08-2007, 03:14 AM
I have to have TWO birthday parties this weekend. One kids, one adult, for my five year old son. I would have them together, but the adults won't enjoy the inflatable jumpy-thing place the kids party is at, and it's too cold to have one big party outside. And my house is too small.

Two cakes, clean the house, blah, blah, blah.

Yes, I still manage to have five Christmas gifts done already. I have the stuff to finish up most of the list once the parties are over.

I have gifts ready for purchase on the bargains board... I can make special orders...Check the 'bracelets' thread and the 'gift sets' thread. I have no more sets made, but again, can do special orders if you give me enough time. I still have all the bracelets here. Good office pollyanna or gift for son's girlfriend or such.

I'm donating portions of the proceeds to AW.