Looking for Religious Thrillers

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I'd like recommendations for religious thrillers like The Da Vinci Code. There are a lot of thrillers out there now trying to look like they're the next Da Vinci Code, but it's hard to tell which ones are good reads and which ones should be used to keep my ark of the covanent from wobbling. :)

So which religious thrillers are actually thrilling? I'm most interested in page-turners, even trashy ones, maybe especially trashy ones. (Hey, it's August. ;)) Feel free to nominate deep, esoteric novels -- I can read them in fall and winter. :D

And before this turns into one of those threads, I know The Da Vinci Code was not a wonderfully well written novel. It wasn't even my favorite thriller. I'm just looking for this type of story. So there. :tongue

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I just finished On The Fifth Day by AJ Hartley. Not bad--decent antihero, good supporting cast, I guessed wrong about who the bad guy was, which I like. My only problem was with the actual mysterious object everyone wants and is getting killed for, and why. When he revealed it , I sat back and went, "Huh? So what?"

But I'm a heretic and a troublemaker, so your mileage may vary. It was a good use of $6.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I just finished On The Fifth Day by AJ Hartley. Not bad--decent antihero, good supporting cast, I guessed wrong about who the bad guy was, which I like. My only problem was with the actual mysterious object everyone wants and is getting killed for, and why. When he revealed it , I sat back and went, "Huh? So what?"
Is that the one with the skulls on the cover? I almost bought it just because skulls are Kool. :D Glad to know it's actually interesting. :)

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Btw, my wife likes Ted Dekker and he's probably the hottest Christian Thriller author right now. I couldn't really get into his books, personally.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Btw, my wife likes Ted Dekker and he's probably the hottest Christian Thriller author right now. I couldn't really get into his books, personally.
Me, neither, darn it. Sigh. Maybe I'll have to stick to heretical thrillers instead. :D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Dan Brown's Angels and Demons? It's a much better read than Da Vinci Code.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second, Angels and Demons. It's much more satisfying than DVC. I can't get into Dekker. His style just irks the snot out of me.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll recommend a true crime religious thriller:

Dennis Covington's Salvation on Sand Mountain.

It's not quite Dan Brownesque, but this book is a very interesting take on murder and religion (and serpent handling) set in the deep South.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
My novel has some religious thriller elements in it (though that's not the focus), but not DVC-esque. But then again, I'm unpublished. And unagented. And kind of sorry I even stumbled on this thread, 'cause Ijust reminded myself about those two key points. Never mind.

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Boris Starling's Messiah fits the bill of religious thriller in a pretty horrific way.

Was made into a great BBC series, too.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with others than Angels and Demons is a better book than Da Vinci, but MAN does it get terrible in the last 150 pages. It's basically 400 pages of very solid thriller and 150-200 of What Was He Thinking?

WriterGirl2007

Black hole of writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm surprised folks haven't liked Ted Dekker. I am a HUGE fan. Which book did you start with? I started with Thr3e, which was pretty amazing! :)