Poetry Resources & Paying Markets

WordSoup

Want to get Paid for your poetry? :money

Tired of worrying which contests are legit? :huh

Need to know who won the Pulitzer Prize for Poety in 1982?
(Sylvia Plath)

Here's some links to get you started down the right path. If you're new to writing poetry, you'll find places with information to hone your craft. If you're new to submitting, I wish you luck finding homes for your works.

Feel free to post any links here that you've found useful.

Wind Publications
Toward the bottom there are links for Beginners and Contests

Awards for Poetry

Poetic Voices
So much to choose from here. News, reviews, the mechanics, poets' web sites...just click...you'll see

Poets & Writers Magazine
TIMELESS! (Click on classifieds for paying markets)

Poets.org
make some time - You'll spend all day browsing here.

WordSoup

Mature Years Magazine

Retierment, Aging and the Christian Faith

Mature Years Magazine
The United Methodist Publishing House
201 Eighth Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37202
F(615)749-6512
Email: [email protected]
Marvin W. Cropsey, Editor

Guidelines by mail with SASE or by email.

Poetry, fiction, etc.

WordSoup

Resource: Poetry Magic

Easy to navigate. No graphics. Sections for Beginner and Advanced.

Discusses word choice, modernist poetry, performing poetry, and lots more.

Poetry Magic

poppyhullings

Astropoetica (low paying, but paying nonetheless)

Astropoetica is looking for poems of any length, style, or genre that explore astronomy, cosmology, astrophysics, planetary science, and/or archaeoastronomy. Scientific, mythic, historical, multicultural, and personal approaches are all welcome.

They pay $5 (US) per accepted poem for one time electronic rights, paid on acceptance.

Personal note: I was paid $5 for a poem of mine soon after they accepted it so from my experience, it's true that they pay $5 on acceptance.

Submission Guidelines

poppyhullings

Capper's

Capper's Magazine publishes historical, inspirational, nostalgic, family-oriented, travel and human-interest stories along with poetry, fiction, and photos.

Check their Contributors Guidelines for more info.

Personal note: They paid me $15 upon acceptance of one of my poems so from my experience with them, their claims are true.

poppyhullings

Country Woman Magazine

Country Woman is looking for poetry to feature on the back covers of future issues. All poems need to have rhythm and rhyme, and they need to be seasonal in nature. Length can be 12-24 lines.

Their May/June 2004 issue says they'll pay you standard rates, but doesn't specify the rates. However, their guidelines (which I received shortly before the May/June 2004 issue) say they pay $10-$25 for poems.

They also publish short fiction, articles and several other features.

Write for guidelines -

Country Woman Magazine
Editorial Office
5400 S. 60th Street
Greendale, Wisconsin 53129-1404

Kathleen Anderson, Managing Editor

Personal note: Can't say that I've been paid by this publication (yet), but I have submitted to and been rejected by them and they seem to be prompt and courteous with their responses, including when I requested a copy of their guidelines.

For reference, their website is here: www.countrywomanmagazine.com/

veingloree

Re: Side Reality

It would be useful to have a few lines about what each market is after. Ancient Paths being Christian content only, for example.

wurdwise

Re: Side Reality

I tried to post a very good link for a long list of Christian poet paying markets, but after three tries, I gave up.

But the site is

www.christianwritersinfo.net/poetpaying.htm

when I tried to put the http:// before it, and the .htm at the end, it left out some letters in the middle.

Anyway, the pay is quite good for the majority of the list.

EEK! I have done this before, it's not me, but now it left out the httpwith the : and the // between the words the and before it. Maybe it's a really, really good site?? A secret perhaps? :lol

I think you are all quite smart enough to figure it out.

By the way, Hi, I'm Denise, joined last night. Please don't judge me by the unwilling gods of communication.:hat

[Denise, I fixed it. Don't fret, EZ board has messed with all of us at some time or another... Betty]

afanofthetruth

Re: Word Soup

Word Soup,

Thank you for sharing this information. I plan on putting it to good use. :)

WordSoup

Found her way back here
Registered
Reaction score
MEMO TO THE MASSES

Welcome to the new and improved Water Cooler!

This sticky thread is for Resources and Paying Markets. Anyone is welcome to add info here. If you have a contest, please add it to the "Contests" sticky thread.
(I don't think I can move the archived post above this one, but I will move any new posts that wind up in the wrong spot)

As Vein suggested above, include any pertinent information. ie Christian only, or accepts Canadian writers only.

- Jen, aka WordSoup

OHH! Pretty colors!

Sorry, had to play :eek: