PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you use the chat room?

RumpleTumbler
08-13-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm just curious. There are 815 users online here now and 2 people myself included in chat. The chat room should be swarming with activity. :) Can you please post and say why you don't use the chat room?

Chat Room (http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=absolutewrite)

Or it's absolutewrite on Starchat if you have a client.

Shwebb
08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Man, why would I go in there? Full of nutters. Yeah.

;)

rhymegirl
08-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Do you want us to?

Salem
08-13-2007, 07:55 PM
There's a chat room?

RumpleTumbler
Do you want us to?

of course silly! ;)

Siddow
I've never liked chatrooms. People always want to know what I'm wearing, and then ask me to take it off.

Salem
08-13-2007, 07:56 PM
I can't find it. I are stoopid.

RumpleTumbler
08-13-2007, 07:58 PM
I've never liked chatrooms. People always want to know what I'm wearing, and then ask me to take it off.

Just take everything off before you come in.

RumpleTumbler
08-13-2007, 07:58 PM
I can't find it. I are stoopid.

The link is in the OP. :tongue

Shwebb
08-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Seriously, it's not a place where people are allowed to get raunchy. Sometimes things can get a little risque, I guess. But it's really another place to get to know other members and talk about stuff. Occasionally, people even talk about writing!

larocca
08-13-2007, 08:06 PM
They talk about writing? Oh, no way am I going in now.

Nah, seriously, no time.

Perks
08-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Chatrooms give me hives. Too many people speaking all at once.

JoeEkaitis
08-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Did they finally get rid of that artichoke dip in a bread bowl left over from Fourth of July . . . 2003?

BenPanced
08-13-2007, 08:52 PM
I don't have a client at home, and I'm not allowed at work.

jennifer75
08-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Pth on chat rooms.

jennifer75
08-13-2007, 09:07 PM

ASL?

jennifer75
08-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Seriously, it's not a place where people are allowed to get raunchy. Sometimes things can get a little risque, I guess. But it's really another place to get to know other members and talk about stuff. Occasionally, people even talk about writing!

I tried the chat room on NANO and found that everybody was either "idle" or taking place in "word wars" and stuff I couldn't follow. So.....again, pth on chat rooms.

MidnightMuse
08-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Because sitting in a room where everyone's talking at once, and no one's listening is too much like real life.

dclary
08-13-2007, 09:18 PM
We are having a special guest in chat on Thursday, at 6:00 pm PST (that's -8 Greenwich, so figure it out, world-peeps).

Bill Fitzhugh, author of the best selling satirical mystery "Pest Control" and a new detective novel based on the alter-egos of country-western duo Brooks and Dunn, will be in chat discussing making lasting impressions with characters and characterizations.

Be there or be equilaterally rectangular.

akiwiguy
08-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Chatrooms give me hives. Too many people speaking all at once.

Yep, once more than a handful of people are in a chatroom it's impossible to follow what the hell's going on. Even yahoo now I tend to use voice calling... it just beats the crap out of dorking around on a keyboard all day.

Southern_girl29
08-14-2007, 12:06 AM
I haven't been in a chatroom in years. It just isn't my thing.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Cannae get in!

MelodyO
08-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Truthfully, when I first found AW there was a bit of a kerfluffle about the chat room, wherein peoples' feelings were hurt and misunderstandings abounded (I don't remember what the fight was about exactly), and that put me off trying it out.

They might have better luck if they had scheduled chat topics. Just a thought.

III
08-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Not my bag.

Salem
08-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Being the scoial gal that I am, I decided to give it a try. I even installed java stuff to be able to get in. So, now the java is installed and I still can't get it to work. The screen pops up now, but nothing I've tried to click on will do anything. The page just sits there...and stares at me...laughing...

ALLWritety
08-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Don't know how to use one. Terrible things all yucky and stuff.
not really my cup of tea!
Kevvers

rhymegirl
08-14-2007, 12:30 AM
of course silly! ;)

I do and I did.

akiwiguy
08-14-2007, 12:51 AM
:
:
wherein peoples' feelings were hurt and misunderstandings abounded (I don't remember what the fight was about exactly), and that put me off trying it out.
:
:

Something that is in my opinion hopeless about communicating by text is the total absence of immediate feedback via body language, tone of voice etc. Anything said can be interpreted about ten different ways (to some degree that can be true of posting in forums too) and that whole problem of misunderstandings tends to abound.

I have sometimes wondered if small groups of people within a given genre connecting via audio would be quite cool, especially for those isolated from writer's groups etc. Again the immediacy of critiquing etc that way could be quite a fun, novel approach. I can only imagine it in the context of small trusted groups who already have some sort of working relationship though.

tjwriter
08-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Truthfully, when I first found AW there was a bit of a kerfluffle about the chat room, wherein peoples' feelings were hurt and misunderstandings abounded (I don't remember what the fight was about exactly), and that put me off trying it out.

They might have better luck if they had scheduled chat topics. Just a thought.

We do have scheduled chat events that can be viewed on the Calendar (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/calendar.php) or by what Deek is adverstising below.

We are having a special guest in chat on Thursday, at 6:00 pm PST (that's -8 Greenwich, so figure it out, world-peeps).

Bill Fitzhugh, author of the best selling satirical mystery "Pest Control" and a new detective novel based on the alter-egos of country-western duo Brooks and Dunn, will be in chat discussing making lasting impressions with characters and characterizations.

Be there or be equilaterally rectangular.

We have events and the rest of the time is for discussing whatever the current participants desire. One thing that everyone must understand is that in any social dynamic, be it face-to-face, over the phone, on the internet, there will be kerfluffles in the group from time-to-time.

Disagreements, misunderstandings, and different views will all contribute to these issues, but there are almost never avoidable. When you get a group as large as AW, it is going to happen. What makes AW successful is that we have Slaves Mods that work to resolve issues in a way that leaves (almost) everyone satisfied. Just because you see one incident doesn't mean that the system is defective. It just means that something needs to be addressed, and this place does not toy with addressing issues.

Pomegranate
08-14-2007, 01:02 AM
I don't do chat or IM. Chat is confusing to follow and full of extraneous convo I'm not necessarily interested in. IM is distruptive. Plus I loathe text-speak abbreviations.

YMMV, so have fun in chat without me!
/curmudgeon

Backward Masking
08-14-2007, 02:02 AM
Be it a cosmic joke, or just some technical problem that I've yet to identify (Windows VISTA), I couldn't say. Personally, I think it really just boils down to my laptop not liking that particular chat room. Try as I might, it won't connect. Not even bribes will sway this stubborn PC.

Silver King
08-14-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm just curious. There are 815 users online here now and 2 people myself included in chat...
I'll bet the place was packed until you arrived. Are you sure that second person you saw there wasn't your shadow? :tongue

Jean Marie
08-14-2007, 02:28 AM
I'll bet the place was packed until you arrived. Are you sure that second person you saw there wasn't your shadow? :tongue
Is that a groundhog joke, from the Bill Murray movie :D

I don't use it, 'cause it doesn't work.

pconsidine
08-14-2007, 02:56 AM
Okay - brutal honesty time:

I don't use it because the few times that I've given it a shot, there was either no one in there, the people in there weren't saying anything, or the people who were talking were simply regurgitating the same inane topics that populate Office Party so often ("My cat saw a UFO today!"). I've tried to take the "Let it Begin with Me" tack, but that can be exhausting at times and usually just makes me look like an arrogant jerk who's trying to hijack the room.

Sometimes, the only way to win is not to play.

Backward Masking
08-14-2007, 03:01 AM
If you don't play, you definitely can't win, but what is true is that you don't lose. Sorry, but I had to stab that last line, pconsidine. Stab it with nonsurgical precision.

Esopha
08-14-2007, 03:11 AM
Chat rooms scare me. It limits the amount of time I have to come up with a witty remark.

RumpleTumbler
08-14-2007, 03:42 AM
("My cat saw a UFO today!")

:roll:

RumpleTumbler
08-14-2007, 03:45 AM

:) I've been waiting on someone to say the reason they didn't go in was because I was in there. So far no takers. I guess everyone is just being polite.

Tig
08-14-2007, 03:49 AM
I tend to be shy, sharing my work and posting, but the chatroom seems a more comfortable place for me. I've met a lot of nice people from the boards there and even got talked into registering after lurking for about 4 years. But from other chatrooms I've seen, this seems to be more friendly than most, when people are in it.

And every guest speaker that I've seen in chat has been interesting and I've enjoyed listening to them and learning a few things.

So thanks for the chatroom.

Tig

Silver King
08-14-2007, 04:00 AM
...the people who were talking were simply regurgitating the same inane topics that populate Office Party so often ("My cat saw a UFO today!")...
Inane? INANE? We prefer the term sagacious or prudent, thank you. Besides, where else will you go to be wished a happy birthday when everyone else forgets? :)

Rolling Thunder
08-14-2007, 04:05 AM
It's too easy to become addicted to chat rooms, so I avoid them now.

janetbellinger
08-14-2007, 04:08 AM
I get tongue tied in chat rooms.

Cath
08-14-2007, 04:20 AM
...I loathe text-speak abbreviations.

I have to say, we're blissfully text-speak free in the AW chat room. Sure, typos abound, but text-speak makes me **shudder**.

Cannae get in!

Try as I might, it won't connect.

I tried once, but all I got was a white screen and various cryptic notations. Too much trouble. :)

You're not alone. There seems to be something buggy with the javachat provided on the forum that means it won't work for everyone (me included!).

However, you can download an IRC client such as mIRC (http://www.mirc.com/) or xChat (http://www.xchat.org/) and log in that way. For those who have Firefox, I strongly recommend Chatzilla (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/rt-messaging/chatzilla/). If anyone needs help setting up an IRC client, you're very welcome to PM me or email me and I'll talk you through it.

I don't use it because the few times that I've given it a shot, there was either no one in there, the people in there weren't saying anything, or the people who were talking were simply regurgitating the same inane topics that populate Office Party so often ("My cat saw a UFO today!"). I've tried to take the "Let it Begin with Me" tack, but that can be exhausting at times and usually just makes me look like an arrogant jerk who's trying to hijack the room.

I'm sorry that's been your experience of chat. We do try to keep and inclusive and welcoming atmosphere for everyone, but it's inevitable that the folks who are there day in day out will have some familiarity.

We also try to keep the lurking to a minimum, but it's not possible to keep the room supervised 24 hours a day, so again, apologies if you've turned up and no-one has spoken to you. If that does happen, try speaking to someone directly by typing their name - it will ping them to say that there's someone in the room who wants to chat.

We have events and the rest of the time is for discussing whatever the current participants desire. One thing that everyone must understand is that in any social dynamic, be it face-to-face, over the phone, on the internet, there will be kerfluffles in the group from time-to-time.

Disagreements, misunderstandings, and different views will all contribute to these issues, but there are almost never avoidable...

And tj has it absolutely right, it's just not possible to keep everyone happy. We're like a normal group of buddies, and like any group, we have the odd dispute. Please, don't let that put you off - there are some wonderful and welcoming folk in the chat - well, apart from me. ;)

Anyone is welcome to drop in anytime. I hope you will!

jodiodi
08-14-2007, 05:07 AM
Like some of the others, I'm not a big chat-room afficianado. I did go to this one once and a couple of people said 'hi', but that was it. I felt just as isolated as I do at parties where I'm relegated to just standing in a corner under the stairs in the dark.

The Lady
08-14-2007, 05:11 AM
My only experience of a chat room was with one other member I knew well on another board. It was mega confusing trying to keep our replies in any kind of order, and I couldn't see the advantage over regular posting or PMing.

kristie911
08-14-2007, 05:18 AM
My only excuse is that I forget it exists. :)

The Lady
08-14-2007, 05:46 AM
I also can't find it.

dclary
08-14-2007, 06:13 AM

Sometimes, the only way to win is not to play.

You better not be dissing Fluffy. If she says she saw the UFO, I believe her.

benbradley
08-14-2007, 06:55 AM
As Cath said, we do have fun in the chat, I'm there Sunday evenings while we're writing the FF Challenge. It's pretty clean, about the worst thing I've seen is complaints like "This week's prompt sucks." And yes, we're pretty much all writers there (sometimes a complete unknown steps in and we have to explain what AW and the FF challenge are, then they often leave, apparently disappointed we're not mud wrestling) so we usually write in full sentences with fully spelled out though often-typo'ed words.

Come join us around 8:30 to Midnight (Eastern time) Sundays and see how you like the regular FF crowd in chat. IIRC, last Sunday had a discussion of (this is just an example of the diversity and of what odd topics can come up, I'm sure this topic won't repeat every Sunday...) old Christian rock groups.

pconsidine
08-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Cath,

No apologies necessary. I fully admit that it's most likely my issue and not AW's.

And deke? Fluffy's on acid. Hate to be the one to tell you.

K1P1
08-14-2007, 07:24 AM
I've visited a few times, but no one ever seems to be talking about writing. On a couple of occasions I've actually been able to join in the conversation, but usually everyone ignores what I say, so I get bored and leave.

lfraser
08-14-2007, 07:37 AM
There's a chat room?

jodiodi
I've visited a few times, but no one ever seems to be talking about writing. On a couple of occasions I've actually be able to join in the conversation, but usually everyone ignores what I say, so I get bored and leave.

Don't feel bad; that happened to me too.

AnnieColleen
Time! And keeping up with multiple conversations at once; I get lost easily.

(But I do go in for the FF challenge - when Sunday evening's free - and I keep meaning to make one of the scheduled chats. Someday!)

Joe270
08-14-2007, 08:42 AM
WTF is a chat room? Do I need to check this out or is it just completely over my head at this point?

JJ Cooper
08-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I think it would be too hard for me to understand all of your weird accents.

JJ

SpookyWriter
08-14-2007, 08:55 AM
WTF is a chat room? Do I need to check this out or is it just completely over my head at this point?
It's where you go to listen while fifty recently divorced women tell you how their basturd, cheating husband, should burn in hell. Wanna join?

Cath
08-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Again, apologies to those who have felt alienated or ignored in the chat.

I do think it's worth pointing out that it's not a writing chat room, it's a chat room for writers. Which means we talk (enthusiastically) about writing when someone comes in with a question or subject, but often just kick back and relax and talk about anything that comes to mind.

If there are any specific topics you think it would be useful to discuss in a chat format, I'd love to hear them, we could arrange a set time and date for these discussions and maybe look for a guest speaker to participate. :)

Jean Marie
08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
So Cath, why doesn't it work w/ Firefox? which is what I have. All I get is the white screen. It used to work, way back when.

AnnieColleen
08-14-2007, 04:42 PM
It works with my Firefox - not sure what the difference is.

Cassiopeia
08-14-2007, 04:45 PM
I realize that we can be a tight knit group but we are the most welcoming bunch of people I have had the pleasure of associating with in my 11 years of chatting on IRC.

I started using the chat room consistently in March this year. Mostly started out being there because of the FF challenges every Sunday.

Just come in and let us get to know you. We do talk about writing frequently off and on throughout the daily discussions of who brought cookies and what is going on in everyone's lives. We had to put a stop to the wrinkly bums discussion, *THAT got out of hand* :tongue but for the most part we do discuss how our WIP is going and all things pertaining to writing.

It can get redundant at times when someone comes in who has missed the discussions before or has stumbled upon us using the list command on IRC and aren't members of AW. But hey, it never hurts to review.

And yeah, heck yeah, sometimes we have misunderstandings. That's life. We get over it and we move on, together, always being a support when we can.

Just sayin'

Jean Marie
08-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Not mine. I was gonna say something sarcastic :) Like, blooey for you. 'Cause, I'm jealous.

And, I'm updated to the latest Firefox. Apparently, it doesn't work for everyone, like Cath said. It makes some of us feel excluded.
*ahem*

I don't want to download more stuff.

Cassiopeia
08-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Not mine. I was gonna say something sarcastic :) Like, blooey for you. 'Cause, I'm jealous. I use Firefox as well. I usually us mIRC to connect to the chat but I just went in using the javachat and it works...so..um...maybe update firefox?

Jean Marie
08-14-2007, 05:03 PM
I use Firefox as well. I usually us mIRC to connect to the chat but I just went in using the javachat and it works...so..um...maybe update firefox?
Cassi, reread my post, I said it's updated!!!!!!!!

Shweta
08-14-2007, 05:04 PM
So Cath, why doesn't it work w/ Firefox? which is what I have. All I get is the white screen. It used to work, way back when.

Doesn't work with my firefox.
My husband the computer geek says that it's because Java is a big mess, rather than because Firefox is messed up.

But that doesn't help you, Jean Marie.

What I use is a downloaded irc client -- there are free irc clients for all operating systems.

Xchat is free for everyone, I believe; it's called Xchat-aqua for Macs. But there are others too. You can just search for irc client free <your OS>

I use xchat so I can troubleshoot it some, for what it's worth. Using a downloaded irc client, you can connect to irc.starchat.net and then type in /join #AbsoluteWrite

(I have it set up to autoconnect using xchat, and I think that's possible using most downloaded irc clients)

Jean Marie
08-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Not mine. I was gonna say something sarcastic :) Like, blooey for you. 'Cause, I'm jealous.

And, I'm updated to the latest Firefox. Apparently, it doesn't work for everyone, like Cath said. It makes some of us feel excluded.
*ahem*

I don't want to download more stuff.
See, I'll quote myself.

In other words, some of us miss out on the special interviews held around this place, because we don't get to see the chat!

Which some of the mods know about!!!!!!

Adam Israel
08-14-2007, 05:07 PM
If the chat link at the top of the forum, you might not have Java installed on your computer. You should be able to find it here (http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp).

Cassiopeia
08-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Cassi, reread my post, I said it's updated!!!!!!!!sowwy :tongue I admit, I musta skimmed.

Haggis
08-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Don't like chatrooms. It's too hard to post pictures there.

RumpleTumbler
08-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Java chat really sucks anyway. It's much more bettersome to download one of the clients. You might try Java chat to see if it works for you but if you chat frequently you'll want a client.

Jean Marie
08-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Doesn't work with my firefox.
My husband the computer geek says that it's because Java is a big mess, rather than because Firefox is messed up.

But that doesn't help you, Jean Marie.

What I use is a downloaded irc client -- there are free irc clients for all operating systems.

Xchat is free for everyone, I believe; it's called Xchat-aqua for Macs. But there are others too. You can just search for irc client free <your OS>

I use xchat so I can troubleshoot it some, for what it's worth. Using a downloaded irc client, you can connect to irc.starchat.net and then type in /join #AbsoluteWrite

(I have it set up to autoconnect using xchat, and I think that's possible using most downloaded irc clients)
Well, it's about freakin' time someone told us how to connect so we can decide if we'd like to partake in some of the interviews.

Thank you, Shweta. I shall try it :)

Cassiopeia
08-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Don't like chatrooms. It's too hard to post pictures there.Well thanks heavens for that ;) *runs*

Jean Marie
08-14-2007, 05:12 PM
If the chat link at the top of the forum, you might not have Java installed on your computer. You should be able to find it here (http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp).
For cryin' out loud, when you try to connect to something you don't have, the linkie thing pops up and makes you download it.

I've got Java. My 'puter isn't that old ;)

Thanks for offering to help.

Cassi, :e2tongue:

Haggis
08-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Well thanks heavens for that ;) *runs*

*throws a bunch of downloaded pics at Cassi*

Jean Marie
08-14-2007, 05:16 PM
It's still a pain in the ass, since I don't like to always keep downloading stuff. I guess I'll have to google irc programs, since I don't have a mac and bookmark it, etc., as opposed to just clicking it at the top of the page...

Cassiopeia
08-14-2007, 05:17 PM
*throws a bunch of downloaded pics at Cassi*Ha! *dodges* missed ;)

Cassiopeia
08-14-2007, 05:18 PM
It's still a pain in the ass, since I don't like to always keep downloading stuff. I guess I'll have to google irc programs, since I don't have a mac and bookmark it, etc., as opposed to just clicking it at the top of the page...www.mirc.com :)

RumpleTumbler
08-14-2007, 05:19 PM
It's still a pain in the ass, since I don't like to always keep downloading stuff. I guess I'll have to google irc programs, since I don't have a mac and bookmark it, etc., as opposed to just clicking it at the top of the page...

Look at this post Cath made.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1545403&postcount=44

I use xchat and it's pretty nice and free and the link is right there in the post. :)

Jean Marie
08-14-2007, 05:20 PM
www.mirc.com (http://www.mirc.com) :)
Thank you :)

If it messes up my computer, you'll buy me a new one, right?

Cassiopeia
08-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Thank you :)

If it messes up my computer, you'll buy me a new one, right?um...*clears throat* sure, yeah, okay...*checks to make sure no trace of her can be found* Yeah...of course ;)

Jean Marie
08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Still, I get paranoid about downloading stuff onto my computer. I'm not comfortable w/ it.

Anyway, I don't have time to play w/ it, now. And, it's not something I want to screw around w/. I don't know enough.

Back later.

tjwriter
08-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Sometimes you have to throw us a bone.

We just babble about nonsense until someone talks about something writer related. And if you've ever felt snubbed, try again. That is never our intention.

And not to say that I miss a certain pcon but...

Shwebb
08-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Pcon 3.14, anyone?

Seriously, sometimes the room gets a bit quiet, even with a room full of people. Conversations ebb and flow. There are awkward silences, just like in real life. Or like me, sometimes I miss someone when I have to leave the computer suddenly to do some kid-wrangling. Or the phone rings (unless it's my mom; I don't listen to half of what she says, anyway!).

Sometimes topics are strange. (I plead guilty to conversing about old Christian rock bands).

But then someone pops in, and we all try our best to welcome the person. If someone brings up a writing subject, pretty much everything else is dropped. We have people who are in the middle of a WIP who come in just to ask a specific question as they're writing, and then they disappear when they get their answers--which is fine, too.

There can be two or three conversations going on at the same time--some people feel like it can go a bit fast, and I guess it can. It takes some practice, maybe, like mental juggling.

I love it when we get fresh meat I mean, new folks in chat! I've met people in there that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten to know better. (Most of the time, that's a good thing!)

Not trying to proselytize, but it can be a fabulous place to hang out among other weirdos writers.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-22-2007, 04:49 AM
Okay... I downloaded and installed mIRC. I logged in to #absolutewrite. No one's there? Or... or... where am I? Is anyone in chat? Am I there? :)

Cath
08-22-2007, 05:01 AM
I don't see you in there OFG. Is there a topic heading at the top of the room you're in?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-22-2007, 05:07 AM
Uh... ? It says:

*Now talking in #absolutewrite

I don't see a 'topic' though.

Cath
08-22-2007, 05:09 AM
Nope. You're not in there then. Are you connected to the starchat server?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-22-2007, 05:12 AM
irc.UniBG.org

How do I get to the starchat server?

Unique
08-22-2007, 05:13 AM
Nope. You're not in there then. Are you connected to the starchat server?

where have i heard that before....

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-22-2007, 05:15 AM
Lost.... so lost... :)

Cath
08-22-2007, 05:34 AM
Woo Hoo! You made it. :partyguy:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-22-2007, 05:50 AM
Dangerous! I'll be back! Thanks for all your help!

benbradley
08-22-2007, 06:07 AM
"I once was lost but now am found..."