A question about sending a synopsis

JohnDavidPaxton

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize, but I couldn't think of a better place to put this question than here.

If an agent requests a full and does not specify you send a synopsis, do you send one anyway? Logic dictates no, but so far my logical inclination has a zero batting average with this process.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a truly, truly stupid question.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Send exactly what they ask for. :)

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to the above. Most synopses tend to be of a much lower quality than the book they describe (it's even worse than writing a good query letter), so why even take a chance at not putting your best foot forward?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
My impulse would be to send the synopsis, just in case the agent might want to glance at it. If the agent doesn't want to look at it, s/he doesn't have to.

On the other hand, if the agent didn't ask for a synopsis, you don't have to send one. Your choice. (And not a dumb question at all.)

- Victoria

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Can any synopsis compare with the novel itself? Of course not.

When I queried THOR (which was ultimately published in six countries), I actually said in my letter that I'm sending only the complete novel. I didn't think I could write a synopsis that could do the novel justice, and I didn't want to.

Right now I'm querying a novel and dreading the possibility that the agents I really want might insist on a synopsis, but I'm putting off writing one until/unless I have to.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I've always gone with only sending what the agent has been asked for, but so far, that hasn't really gotten me anywhere. So, if I have a synopsis, I could send it? It seems opinions are divided on this one. Good question, JohnDavidPaxton, I'd love to know if an agent would be put off by someone sending a unasked for synopsis. I think, if I were to do it, I'd make it a shortened synopsis (like, one page). That sound good to people? Or, should I never, as wayndom said? I'm confused now. :Shrug:

JSmith42

John, take a deep breath. Relax. Now, let common sense prevail.

Agents can be brutal about authors following submission guidelines, but this is mainly to streamline things (they're getting dozens of submissions a day), and to weed out those who lack any common sense (such as authors who include the names of their pets in their query, but forget to send an SASE or and email address). But if you've had a manuscript requested in full, which means you've risen above that. Chances are they'renot going to hold it against you if you send a synopsis along with your manuscript.

If they don't care about the synopsis, they won't read it. The important thing now is your story and your writing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Synopsis

If you've already sent the agent a synopsis of the novel during the query stage, then no. The agent should have the first synopsis on hand. But if you haven't done so, sending a synopsis along with the full is usually a very good idea.

wayndom's experience aside, most novels need a synopsis when they head to a publisher because this is often what gets passed around the acquisition board.

And after the first novel sells, a synopsis/brief outline is how you should sell the next before it's even written, so any and all practice helps.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely don't send it if they don't ask for it. Make them reject you on the material, not a synopsis of it. Remember that the first reader is looking for reasons to reject the book, so any material you send may be used against you.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
synopsis

Definitely don't send it if they don't ask for it. Make them reject you on the material, not a synopsis of it. Remember that the first reader is looking for reasons to reject the book, so any material you send may be used against you.

My guess is they've already read some sort of synopsis, and if they have the requested full on hand, they will never, ever reject based on the synopsis. It just isn't done.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is they've already read some sort of synopsis, and if they have the requested full on hand, they will never, ever reject based on the synopsis. It just isn't done.

Never ever, huh? I had a publisher request the full and synopsis, and they sent me a personalized rejection that was obviously based on the synopsis, not from reading the story.