QI's coming back!

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
The best, heck probably the only good, game show is back on BBC next month.

Stephen Fry will, once again, hold sway over the Quite Interesting, the Unknown and the bizarre.

Anyone else looking forward to season E?

Reaction score
He's on my 'fantasy dinner guest' list.

(Along with Einstein, Gandhi, Anne Boleyn and Jack the Ripper).

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
Reaction score
I also want to invite Richard III, but that would make seven at the table, so I'd need to pick another guest...

Hmm...

Julius Caesar!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
The best, heck probably the only good, game show is back on BBC next month.

Stephen Fry will, once again, hold sway over the Quite Interesting, the Unknown and the bizarre.

Anyone else looking forward to season E?
Yep couldn't agree more, QI is just about the best quiz show on tv at the moment. I missed a lot of them and am catching up on the old ones on UK Gold at the moment.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
We can talk about it without Johnny Foreigner getting involved. Hurrah and God save the queen.

Reaction score
Jings, crivvens, help m'boab, etc.

seun, why are you always here when I sign in? Are you following me? Admit your fascination or lose me forever!

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
Care for some Earl Grey?

I also hear that the first series is out on DVD. What other gameshow would do that? None of them, that's who.

And just to hold you over until it comes back, this (courtesy of Wikiquote)

QI said:
[On the solution the inventor of lateral thinking suggested to resolve the Middle East conflict]
Stephen Fry: This man, this premier thinker of our time, Edward de Bono, suggested sending Marmite to the Middle East. He reasoned thus – and I use the word “reasoned” quite loosely – he reasoned that on both sides of the conflict, there was a lot of unleavened bread being eaten, and unleavened bread has a shortage of zinc, and a lack of zinc causes aggression. So he planned, as the easiest way as he saw it, to restore the zinc levels to both sides, was to send them lots of Marmite which is rich in the stuff.

Clive Anderson: But the whole point about Marmite, as they advertise it, is that some people love it and some people hate it, so you solve the problem and then have wars between the pro-Marmiters and the anti-Marmiters!

Reaction score
I fucking love that man.

Anyone see his two-parter on manic depression? Bloody fascinating. I taped it. You're all invited round to my house for a Fryfest. We can watch him get his head examined and call himself an absolute see-you-next-Tuesday.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
I fucking love that man.

Anyone see his two-parter on manic depression? Bloody fascinating. I taped it. You're all invited round to my house for a Fryfest. We can watch him get his head examined and call himself an absolute see-you-next-Tuesday.
I did see that!
Bloody good. Also, bloody brave of him to open himself up like that, not something I'd do.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
We can talk about it without Johnny Foreigner getting involved.

Except for me.

Love QI. We have the first series DVD, and watch whenever it's on. Also Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

And loved the manic depression two-parter. One of the few things we set the Sky reminder for. Fry is awesome.

Richard III would be at the top of my fantasy dinner party list, along with Eleanor of Aquitaine and Llewelyn Fawr. And I agree on Jack the Ripper too.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, my dear . . . I haven't even got the faintest idea what this show is :D I just popped in here to :e2poke:

Reaction score
If anyone doesn't heart the Fry, I say they deserve a bumming with a fist full of razor blades!

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, my dear . . . I haven't even got the faintest idea what this show is :D I just popped in here to :e2poke:
No idea? :Wha:

Well, look, it's like this. It's a quiz show hosted by Stephen Fry (you know him right? from Blackadder?). But rather than giving points for correct answers, they give more points for interesting answers and deduct points for 'obvious but wrong' answers.
It's utterly hilarious, thoroughly interesting and delightfully charming all at the same time.

Reaction score
And Stephen Fry has the most cerebrally stimulating manner I can imagine. The amazing thing is, with him being so stupendously intelligent, he's not in the least patronising.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
And Stephen Fry has the most cerebrally stimulating manner I can imagine. The amazing thing is, with him being so stupendously intelligent, he's not in the least patronising.
And isn't afraid to laugh at himself.

There's also something about jokes being delivered in a well-spoken accent that make them even funnier.
Particularly 'bordering-on-coarse' jokes.

Stephen Fry said:
But perhaps, you know, we should believe in Adam and Eve. Geneticists have established that every woman in the world shares a single female ancestor who lived a hundred and fifty thousand years ago. Scientists actually call her "Eve", and every man shares a single male ancestor called "Adam". It's also been established, however, that Adam was born eighty thousand years after Eve. So the world before him was one of heavy to industrial-strength lesbianism, one assumes.