Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
And did you catch the phrase:

emphasis mine

Ya gotta be kiddin' me...

No. He's not kidding. It is absolutely true. Note the key word: "through."
You can order a PA book listed on the internet through most brick and mortar stores I know of--for home delivery.

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I know that - but your regular, everyday guy might see it and think "It's in bookstores" as opposed to being ordered through bookstores.

A bit deceptive, no?

then again, i wish i could say i was shocked - sadly, i know...

It's very deceptive, and the very reason so many PA authors believe they are going to get their books into stores. It takes a while to understand they've been duped and they're expected to sell their own book, something for which they hadn't planned, and for which they have no motivation, training or talent.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
So, it looks like they have upgraded Miranda's "resonate with an audience...fits like a hand in a glove...from sea to shining sea...across the fruited plain" blurb. Or maybe they've finally just done away with it. Good riddance, sez me.
We'll see.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
So, it looks like they have upgraded Miranda's "resonate with an audience...fits like a hand in a glove...from sea to shining sea...across the fruited plain" blurb. Or maybe they've finally just done away with it. Good riddance, sez me.
We'll see.

It was too easy to find using Google to see that it was the same for every book. Can't let the marks become suspicious so you have to upgrade the game regularly.

In the meantime, I urge you to each write a brief note to that publication. Tell them about the deception that's in that listing, particularly the through all bookstores since that's not even true any more. I already have proof that some bookstores won't even special order PA books.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I poked around through the site, and this looks like a user-created account. Anyone can sign up and create their own account and post their own news stories and photos. They kind of tout it as a place where anyone can post their own press releases.

My own local paper does something kind of similar. People can sign up and post events and the like. None of it passes any sort of editorial scrutiny.

Hmm, that sounds familiar, doesn't it?

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I poked around through the site, and this looks like a user-created account. Anyone can sign up and create their own account and post their own news stories and photos. They kind of tout it as a place where anyone can post their own press releases.

My own local paper does something kind of similar. People can sign up and post events and the like. None of it passes any sort of editorial scrutiny.

Hmm, that sounds familiar, doesn't it?
In other words, BFD.
It will barely make an impact in the grand scheme of things.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
You know, this gives me an idea - sign up and make a "press release" about Absolute Write forums: "Thinking of getting something published? Check out what others say about various publishers on the Bewares and Background Check forum at Absolutewrite.com/forums."

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
You mean he has to write an individual review for each book--you know, like he actually read it and gave it some thought? Wow.

No doubt PA will tout this as a massive new revolutionary publicity campaign and the PAvidians will drool on command at the sound of the cash register...er, bell.

Real traditional publishers from sea to shining sea will tremble in their boots. EVERYBODY PANIC!
:roll:

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps you could post a link over to the "freelance" board here, asking for someone to pitch an article about PA to the paper. That might be fun.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, use http://www.timesnews.net/contact.php to send them a note.

Hmmm, do you think they should send Shawn a bill for all that advertising? ;)
Hey, that's a real easy note to write and send. I sent mine both to the newsroom and to retail advertising, since that's what PA is doing, using them for free advertising.

I wonder how many notes it will take for the paper to investigate, eh?
Especially when advertising dollars are what makes a paper run, and PA is getting a free ride.

EDIT: On the signup link, one of the features is "Promote Your Business" which might make it legitimate.
I dunno.

Last edited: