PDA

View Full Version : OMG! You won't believe this!

TwentyFour
08-12-2007, 10:16 AM
cc

A.M. Wildman
08-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Scary! :scared:

brianm
08-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Shawn Street is a PA employee who has been a witness for PA in their arbitration hearings.

kristie911
08-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Just when I think they can't get any worse...

LeslieB
08-12-2007, 04:27 PM
And true to form, the "biography" is all about PA. Not a whisper about Shawn.

DaveKuzminski
08-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Any idea on how to leave a comment, I might have one or two. Turns away laughing hysterically.

Yes, use http://www.timesnews.net/contact.php to send them a note.

Hmmm, do you think they should send Shawn a bill for all that advertising? ;)

Jersey Chick
08-12-2007, 08:31 PM
And did you catch the phrase:

...PublishAmerica... makes its books available in both the United States and Europe through all bookstores,

emphasis mine

Ya gotta be kiddin' me...

Arkie
08-12-2007, 09:00 PM
And did you catch the phrase:

emphasis mine

Ya gotta be kiddin' me...

No. He's not kidding. It is absolutely true. Note the key word: "through."
You can order a PA book listed on the internet through most brick and mortar stores I know of--for home delivery.

Jersey Chick
08-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Oh, I know that - but your regular, everyday guy might see it and think "It's in bookstores" as opposed to being ordered through bookstores.

A bit deceptive, no?

then again, i wish i could say i was shocked - sadly, i know...

Arkie
08-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Oh, I know that - but your regular, everyday guy might see it and think "It's in bookstores" as opposed to being ordered through bookstores.

A bit deceptive, no?

then again, i wish i could say i was shocked - sadly, i know...

It's very deceptive, and the very reason so many PA authors believe they are going to get their books into stores. It takes a while to understand they've been duped and they're expected to sell their own book, something for which they hadn't planned, and for which they have no motivation, training or talent.

Elektra
08-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Or money.

CatSlave
08-13-2007, 01:19 AM
So, it looks like they have upgraded Miranda's "resonate with an audience...fits like a hand in a glove...from sea to shining sea...across the fruited plain" blurb. Or maybe they've finally just done away with it. Good riddance, sez me.
We'll see.

DaveKuzminski
08-13-2007, 01:57 AM
So, it looks like they have upgraded Miranda's "resonate with an audience...fits like a hand in a glove...from sea to shining sea...across the fruited plain" blurb. Or maybe they've finally just done away with it. Good riddance, sez me.
We'll see.

It was too easy to find using Google to see that it was the same for every book. Can't let the marks become suspicious so you have to upgrade the game regularly.

In the meantime, I urge you to each write a brief note to that publication. Tell them about the deception that's in that listing, particularly the through all bookstores since that's not even true any more. I already have proof that some bookstores won't even special order PA books.

CatSlave
08-13-2007, 03:15 AM
It was too easy to find using Google to see that it was the same for every book. Can't let the marks become suspicious so you have to upgrade the game regularly.
Yeah, at least once every five years is a good start. :D

JulieB
08-13-2007, 05:10 AM
I poked around through the site, and this looks like a user-created account. Anyone can sign up and create their own account and post their own news stories and photos. They kind of tout it as a place where anyone can post their own press releases.

My own local paper does something kind of similar. People can sign up and post events and the like. None of it passes any sort of editorial scrutiny.

Hmm, that sounds familiar, doesn't it?

CatSlave
08-13-2007, 05:15 AM
I poked around through the site, and this looks like a user-created account. Anyone can sign up and create their own account and post their own news stories and photos. They kind of tout it as a place where anyone can post their own press releases.

My own local paper does something kind of similar. People can sign up and post events and the like. None of it passes any sort of editorial scrutiny.

Hmm, that sounds familiar, doesn't it?
In other words, BFD.
It will barely make an impact in the grand scheme of things.

benbradley
08-13-2007, 06:45 AM
You know, this gives me an idea - sign up and make a "press release" about Absolute Write forums: "Thinking of getting something published? Check out what others say about various publishers on the Bewares and Background Check forum at Absolutewrite.com/forums."

CatSlave
08-13-2007, 06:47 AM
:D

CatSlave
08-13-2007, 07:47 AM
You mean he has to write an individual review for each book--you know, like he actually read it and gave it some thought? Wow.

No doubt PA will tout this as a massive new revolutionary publicity campaign and the PAvidians will drool on command at the sound of the cash register...er, bell.

Real traditional publishers from sea to shining sea will tremble in their boots. EVERYBODY PANIC!
:roll:

Jersey Chick
08-13-2007, 08:15 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH **runs screaming around the room**

How's that for a panic?

CatSlave
08-13-2007, 08:20 AM
I heard it as "He who laughs last, thinks slowest." :D

Old Hack
08-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Perhaps you could post a link over to the "freelance" board here, asking for someone to pitch an article about PA to the paper. That might be fun.

CatSlave
08-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Yes, use http://www.timesnews.net/contact.php to send them a note.

Hmmm, do you think they should send Shawn a bill for all that advertising? ;)
Hey, that's a real easy note to write and send. I sent mine both to the newsroom and to retail advertising, since that's what PA is doing, using them for free advertising.

I wonder how many notes it will take for the paper to investigate, eh?
Especially when advertising dollars are what makes a paper run, and PA is getting a free ride.

EDIT: On the signup link, one of the features is "Promote Your Business" which might make it legitimate.
I dunno.

JulieB
08-13-2007, 06:16 PM
EDIT: On the signup link, one of the features is "Promote Your Business" which might make it legitimate. I dunno.

I wonder if they're pulling press releases from the public for filler?