PDA

View Full Version : It's true, shopping hungry is a BAD idea....

NiennaC
08-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Gack! The stuff I ended up buying. It was bad. I think, when I got home, I consumed a whole week's worth of calories....mmm....but so good. 'Course, then I went and didn't buy the things I SHOULD have bought while I was out - bah, who needs dish soap when they can buy a nice big apple pie instead!

writerterri
08-12-2007, 08:22 AM
I did that once. Once. I got way more peanuts and peanut butter and peanut butter cereal than a human needs.

Now I have my husband take me to Jack In The Box to make me ill before we shop for food. I come home with a lot of fruit.

NiennaC
08-12-2007, 08:32 AM
I did that once. Once. I got way more peanuts and peanut butter and peanut butter cereal than a human needs.

Lol. My theme was chips - lots and lots of chips. I think, by the end of the week, I'll loathe chips.

akiwiguy
08-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Everything looks edible in a supermarket when I'm hungry. I lick my lips passing the petfood aisles even. It is a disastrous idea to shop hungry; I swear I can double our grocery spending.

MacAllister
08-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Heh. I have a weird soft spot for near-instant-gratification stuff like frozen pizzas and beef pot pies and eggrolls and lasagnas and so on. My freezer is still stuffed from the last time...

SpookyWriter
08-12-2007, 09:07 AM
I don't own a fridge. Can't relate.

writerterri
08-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Heh. I have a weird soft spot for near-instant-gratification stuff like frozen pizzas and beef pot pies and eggrolls and lasagnas and so on. My freezer is still stuffed from the last time...

I wish I could eat like that! No one in my house likes frozen food. They make me cook real food, Mac. :cry:

Marie Calendar's Beef Pot Pies. *drools*

NiennaC
08-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Yea, I'm on a frozen food binge myself. So good. And yet so bad for you, it's cruel.

SpookyWriter
08-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I wish I could eat like that! No one in my house likes frozen food. They make me cook real food, Mac. :cry:

Marie Calendar's Beef Pot Pies. *drools*Your family is smart. This is your body on frozen foods.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41804000/jpg/_41804464_french_woman_203x300.jpg

Lady Esther
08-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I shopped hungry once and bought a big chocolate cake, and devoured most of it that night. The next day I tasted the cake, and it tasted like cardboard. Ack!

writerterri
08-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Your family is smart. This is your body on frozen foods.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41804000/jpg/_41804464_french_woman_203x300.jpg

I know it's better for them. I'm burned out on cooking! But I'll do it.

MacAllister
08-12-2007, 10:33 AM
That's the thing--I don't actually *eat* that stuff. I like to cook, and very much prefer fresh things.

It just sounds oddly good when I'm already hungry.

Joe270
08-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Frozen pizzas and pot pies? Ya'll just don't know how to binge, for cryin' out loud. Doritos and bean dip and cheese dip. Cheetos, either or both kinds. Pringles. French onion dip and potato chips, Ruffles.

Peanut brittle. Boston creame pie. Cheese cake. Ice cream, any kind.

Then add a few Gummi Bears and sugar babies, maybe mini baby ruth and butter finger bars to chase it all with.

Now you're talkin' shopping hungry. I've done it, too.

maestrowork
08-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah... I did that once and I ended up $400 worth of grocery. mostly stuff I don't normally eat... like salami and cheese and a whole turkey. Like, what am I going to do with a turkey?

tjwriter
08-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Like, what am I going to do with a turkey?

LOL, Ray. That's funny.

The worst is going shopping while pregnant and hungry. The cart was overflowing before I hit the frozen foods. Bad, bad, bad.

I make sure that I do not feel hungry in any way before I go. It's safer that way.

Tornadoboy
08-12-2007, 05:27 PM
What was it George Carlin once said? The best way to go shopping is not to eat for a couple of days, then go with $500 and smoke eight joints beforehand.

eldragon
08-12-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm pretty controlled due to financial necessity, but I will sometimes splurge and buy Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake. It's frozen, you know.

You can buy it at Sam's Club, but I get it at a little grocery store that buys overstock food items. It's the best darned cheesecake ever.

I also like those Cheetos puffs - those puffy corn but not corn Cheetos? Know what I'm talking about? But you have to eat them within a few hours of opening the bag, or they get stale.

And Target brand chips : Archer Farns - are great, too.

Just Mike
08-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I have to weave a pretty strange coarse to avoid both the bakery section and the "Wall o' Little Debbie." This is a localized snack cake nexus devoid of nutrition.

"The Wall O' Little Debbie" is invariably so close to the cash register that you can hear the calories oozing out of the boxes.

sunna
08-12-2007, 05:53 PM
When I shop hungry I end up buying way too much fresh stuff; and with tomatoes at $3.00 a pound and mangoes at $2.99 each, well, that adds up pretty quickly. I get all these grandiose plans of cooking huge meals that I never have time for, and I end up giving fruit away by the end of the week so it won't go bad sitting in my fridge...:cry:

I try to shop only after work now, when I'm exhausted, sore from exercising, usually not in the best of moods, and in a hurry to get home and write.

writerterri
08-13-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm makimg my grocery list as we speak...

Joe's the bomb and would get along fine in my house.

Siddow
08-13-2007, 12:41 AM
I do the healthy food when hungry, too. I've figured out I just can't shop without a week's worth of meal plans and a solid, not-to-be-deviated-from list.

Otherwise I end up with big bags of oranges that no one will eat. Then I end up squeezing them and using the juice for cocktails. Then I'm too toasty to cook dinner, and I wish I'd thought to pick up a frozen lasagna or maybe a bag of chicken fingers and waffle fries. And ramen.

NiennaC
08-13-2007, 03:48 AM
And ramen.

Man, I used to buy ramen noodles all the time. I'd go to Sam's Club (hungry, of course) and buy boxes of them. Now, I'm so sick of it, I hate the thought of eating it.

Oberon
08-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Costco. A box of huge juicy peaches, if you eat three a day you can consume them before they rot. A carton of V8 out in the garage. A chocolate cake that feeds 36 heavy eaters. A salmon. Not a filet, not a steak. A salmon. 10 pounds. Filet Mignon. Not steak, the whole filet. Barbecue beef ribs. Now, those are scrumpdiliocious. A gallon of Head and Shoulders, 6 pounds of trail mix, 10,000 capsules of Vitamin C. Assorted articles of clothing, plastic bags, razor blades, 5 pound box of AA batteries, etc. etc. Checkout: $600. Ok, I exaggerate, except for the checkout, but not much. Always stop for a hot dog before you start.

akiwiguy
08-13-2007, 04:41 AM
Why, when one is hungry in a supermarket, does the perceived edibility of cakes suddenly become porportionate to the gawdiness of their colour? So that those rows of cakes that are flourescent, or even radio-active, in appearance suddenly seem so enticing? Even my kids say "For God's sake Dad, what the hell is that you've bought?"

sunna
08-13-2007, 05:34 AM
I completely understand. I confess, for all my love of produce, I have an unnatural affinity for orange and blue food that didn't grow that way. Cheetos and Fanta make me drool. I have to avoid those aisles altogether, or risk having my tongue dyed bright orange for at least 24 hours and all my taste-buds burned out. :D

NiennaC
08-15-2007, 04:00 AM
I love blue food. Especially anything flavored in black raspberry.