My Daughter's First Bra?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a freelance article for parents of preteens.
Subject: The First Bra.
Buying a bra for the first time is a major outing in a young girl's life...and in her parents' life, as well! I would like to get quotes from real moms/dads who have been through this first shopping experience. What was it like? How did you feel? How did your daughter react? Any problems? I’d love to include both serious and fun quotes. I'll need your name, city and state.
Please email me at [email protected]
Thanks!

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
"Why do I have to wear a bra, anyway? My boobs aren't all droopy like yours!"

Charming quote from my 14-year-old on our first outing!

Brighton, UK.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
My dad's "wit"

I'll never forget my dad's comments when my mother told him we were going to go shopping for a bra for me ...

His first reaction was: "What? Why does she need a bra? I only see two mosquito bites!"

Followed by: "She doesn't need a bra -- just two band-aids!"

I was, of course, mortified.

In retrospect, I now realize my dad was very uncomfortable with the situation and just trying to use humor to mask it ... rather than, say, deliberately scarring me for life!

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
These are from my 8 year old niece:

Why do I have ta wear one of those?

I'm not going to wear that.

It itches. I don't like it!

The boys aren't looking at my chest, they look at yours.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I was 11 when I first started wearing bras. I was too uncomfortable to go into a store to buy them so I just wore my mom's (oh, they fit fine). It wasn't long until I had to face my discomfort since I pretty much outgrew her bras in a year or two.

I remember my mom trying to force me to try on the bra "over my shirt" right there in the middle of the store *sob*! I'm never doing that to MY kid.

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
I remember that I got my first bra in 6th grade. It wasn't that I necessarily needed one, but I felt social pressure. *All* the cool girls wore one, and to fit in with the crowd in the gym's locker room, you had to get one.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I was a very late bloomer and I think my step-mom took me bra-shopping wearing black for mourning. I was wearing a zip-up sweat jacket. I was 14. I really didn't need a bra yet, but it would be something to snap back with in the girl's locker room.
We went to J.C Penney's, and we did not pick out the handfuls I envisioned, as there were only two styles in my mortifying size. Once at the dressing room, I refused help from both the attendant and Mom. No way did I want them gazing pitifully at the lopsided nail heads protruding awkwardly from my bony frame. Carpenter's dream indeed.
The first stupid thing Mr. Brassiere or rather Herminie Cadolle, or whoever, was put the opening to the damn contraption in the back. Twisting that thing around the middle can't be good for the elastic, or one's skin.
I was still mid twist-and-wiggle when I hear the sing-song voice of the store attendant. I look up, and there she is-peering over the door! 'need some help in there?' Then, of course, the shocked stare. My distorted nipples were twisted uncomfortably by the straps, but there were no breasts.She could not hide the upward turn o her mouth, the stifled snicker.
I growled at her, I don't even think I said anything, but she went away. I gave up and put myself back together. I emerged from the dressing room and faced my Mom, who had a nervous look on her face. She didn't like being here any more than I. She was used to my defiance and I'm sure she expected it here. But I handed her the other bra, the one Inever tried on, and in my best good-girl voice, I asked, 'Mom,can you buy me two of these?'.
I zipped up my jacket and walked out to the car.

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
DD kind of dropped hints, so I picked out a sports bra at Wal-Mart in her size. Then I put the package in her room and said it was up to her when and if she wanted to wear it or felt she needed it. She's flat as a board right now, age 11.

I'd taken all the kids' measurements b/c I needed to get jeans for the boys and they all wanted to be measured every where, even their head circumferences.

She's thrilled. I *think* we've done an OK job telling her about The Change and That Growth Spurt Mom Keeps Talking About.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
My daughter is only two. She wears my bras.

Mind you, my boob is only slightly smaller than her head. Still she picks that bad boy up throws it on with a pair of underwear, grabs her purse and is ready to go! She calls boobs her "ows"

sneakers145

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed my daughter developing and mentioned bras, so I asked her if she had a preference, and she chose sports bras. No momentous occasion, just matter of fact. Same when I noticed she needed deodorant. Hey, you might want to use some. You want to pick some you like? For her period it was, here's a cabinet full of all kinds of stuff. Try it out and let me know what you like so I can buy more. And there's some tampons in there if you want to try those.

And then I find she's already shaving her legs...I'm so out of the loop, LOL.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
This is all very helpful to me. As a 60 year old man, I'll have to be buying my own soon.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I think that girls need their first bras about the time that boys need their first pair of glasses.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
I noticed my daughter developing and mentioned bras, so I asked her if she had a preference, and she chose sports bras. No momentous occasion, just matter of fact. Same when I noticed she needed deodorant. Hey, you might want to use some. You want to pick some you like? For her period it was, here's a cabinet full of all kinds of stuff. Try it out and let me know what you like so I can buy more. And there's some tampons in there if you want to try those.

And then I find she's already shaving her legs...I'm so out of the loop, LOL.

I too hope to be as nonchalant about my daughter develping as you are. You have set a new bar. :)

Sunkissed27f

Banned
Reaction score
What was worse: having your evil step-mother force you to wear a bra you don't need, or your mother going along with her?

My step-mother took me to a store, forced me to be polite to a sales man while he measured me. A MAN! WTH, was he doing measuring young girls!?! So, I get this itchy contraption stuck on me that I had to wear ALL the time. And what was worse than the bra, was having your stepmother run her finger down your back every time she passed JUST to make sure you were wearing it! THEN when I hit Jr High the boys figured out fast who the girls wearing the bras were, because they insisted on "popping" it every chance they had!
~Sigh!~ And now we actually enjoy bra shopping, do we not? Bleh!

4indianwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I don;t think daughter need to go for shopping of Bras with her parents...

sneakers145

Registered
Reaction score
I too hope to be as nonchalant about my daughter develping as you are. You have set a new bar. :)

After hearing how some people gush about 'becoming a woman' and making a huge hairy deal out of periods (I mean, come on, really, is it that wonderful?? Uh, no!) I told my daughter the truth (along with giving her some good books). I told her that life as she knew it would be over and it was gross and annoying and a PIA and that was the truth. That someday it would come in handy if she wanted kids, but for now, reality is, is that it sucks. (And if you're a woman who just loves her period, then you are an alien!!)

My mother made huge hairy deals out of everything and I was mortified. Then she'd tell my dad (doubly mortified!) and the neighbors and the ladies at church. I'm surprised she didn't throw a party.

And, she gave me no real info on anything at all. I was the naive one and didn't want to admit I was clueless and look like a dork.

I tell my kids, if you want to know, ask me, and I'll tell it to you straight, no problem. And my kids ask (about all kinds of weird stuff, including what the F word means) and I tell them truthfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.