Dialogue help, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roskoebaby

Hey, I have a dialogue question. Kind of. I have a part in my chapter where the MC is exchanging notes with a new guy in class. I got tired describing all of the ways they could physically pass it to each other and I began to write it as if it were dialogue. Does it work?

Suddenly, something pegged my calf and I flinched. I looked down to see a note lying near my foot and glanced around until I caught Surfer Boy looking at me. He motioned for me to pick it up, but I stared back with my mouth open. He huffed and let out a little laugh before turning to face the front of the room.

I checked to make sure no one was looking before bending down to snatch it off of the floor. Mr. Powell was back at the front, writing formatting notes on the board. I slowly unfolded the paper under my desk, wincing at each crumpling noise.

“I appreciate the offer, but I don’t need a shadow. Maybe another time?” He signed it Tate Fox.

I didn’t offer anything, I thought defensively and looked at him. He was pressing his lips together as if holding back a smile. I didn’t want him assuming that I was itching to take him around, so I smoothed out his note on my desk.

I don’t have to write back, I rationalized as I gripped my pen. But at the same time, my heart was racing and my mood had suddenly improved.

“Just for the record, I didn’t ask for you to follow me. And as far as another time, I’m not interested. Thanks anyway, Emily Clover.”

That’s fine, abrupt and to the point. Afterall, I didn’t have time to play footsies with some new guy that just walked in the door. With Mr. Powell’s back turned, I handed the note to the girl next to me and she curled her lip as she grabbed and it and passed it to Tate. I brought my pen back to my mouth and occasionally jotted down sentences from the board.

“Mike is going to kill him,” the girl whispered as she slapped another note on my desk. I widened my eyes at her as if I was confused and dragged the note onto my lap. I fought the urge to look at him as I unfolded it.

“Are you sure? I am partial to blondes.” I unintentionally reached up to twirl a strand of my yellow hair between my fingers. I heard a snort and swung quickly to face him. He turned away before I could catch his eyes, but he kept his palm over his lips as if suppressing a laugh.

Who is this guy? I wondered. I could actually feel beads of sweat pooling on my forehead and I sat back against my seat and glanced out of the window. I’d never dated anyone other Mike, and honestly had never wanted to either. We’d been together since I was 14 and in the last 3 years, no one else had ever approached me.

I was nauseous as I tried to think of the best response to give Tate Fox. After a few minutes, inspiration struck and I flipped the paper over onto the back.
“That’s nice, but I’m not your type.”

Is this flirting? I thought and sent it.

Before I had a chance to mull over my question, another paper hit my shoulder and fell onto my desk. I heard a couple of quiet giggles and I knew that some of the other students had noticed. I exhaled at this development and checked Mr. Powell’s location. He was reading directly from the textbook at his podium and I chewed on my lip as I read.

“And what do you know of my type, Emily Clover?” I smiled, despite my nervousness and read it over again.

This is kind of fun.

“I’m sure I might know a couple of girls that I could set you up with. Let’s see, what do you like? Oh I know, brainless, right?”

“You’re a sassy little thing. What if I said that I liked girls that play hard to get? Ring a bell?”

“Not really. You see, I’m not playing hard to get. I’m just not playing at all.”

“Clever. So you’re saying that you like me?”

“No, Tate. I do not like you. I have a boyfriend. A big football player boyfriend that’s in college. Had enough?”

“Away at college?”

“Yeah.”

“Well then, Emily, you are fair game.”

The bell rang as I looked down at his last reply. I hadn’t realized how quickly the time past. I shot a glance over to Tate’s desk, but he was gone. Several girls eyed me on their way to the door, but I just shrugged in return. Mr. Powell called me from the front.

“Mr. Fox ran out of here quickly, so it looks like you’re off the hook.”

“Thanks.”

“Can you try to get to class on time tomorrow?”

“I’ll be here,” I said and stood

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Wow--this is good. The dialogue pacing works fine, since you've already told us how the note is getting between them, but maybe there's some other way to designate the notes? The quotation marks might have thrown me off if you hadn't specifically told us they were notes.

Last edited:

roskoebaby

Wow--this is good. The dialogue pacing works fine, since you've already told us how the note is getting between them, but maybe there's some other way to designate the notes? The quotation marks might throw me off if you had specifically told us they were notes.

See that's what I thought. I wonder if I should bold it, only I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to do that on a manuscript. Maybe I could just call and read it out loud to them.lol.

MerryDay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
evemarieperry.com
I've seen similar things done in novels before and normally they use two different, easy to read, handwriting fonts. So, that's an option! Plus, I think that in a manuscript submission that would be completely acceptable.

roskoebaby

I've seen similar things done in novels before and normally they use two different, easy to read, handwriting fonts. So, that's an option!

I like that better. I wonder if in the manuscript I should just put the wavy lines under it rather than using quotes. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to change fonts within the manuscript. But I do think it would look cool in handwriting. Thanks for the idea!

katrina_wooooo

Registered
Reaction score
Yess! Tate is communicating!

I'm already rooting against Mike, just because Tate seems pretty cool. :)

Last edited:

roskoebaby

Yess! Tate is communicating!

I'm already rooting against Mike, just because Tate seems pretty cool. :)
Great! That is the reaction I'm looking for. At first. Want to read more? I'll post some of the racy stuff. Or I can email it. LOL

TWK

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, cool, the continuation of the scene I read earlier! I like this—I really like the way you did the notes. It felt nice. Don't worry about formatting it in the manuscript; that's really not a problem. I think many authors overemphasize formatting and don't realize it's not about the page: it's about what's on it. When you do get this published, it's possible you could have other fonts for handwriting, or maybe the editors will have it italicized. I'm pretty sure quotation marks won't be chosen, as they look like dialogue. Anyway, nice job!

roskoebaby

Oh, cool, the continuation of the scene I read earlier! I like this—I really like the way you did the notes. It felt nice. Don't worry about formatting it in the manuscript; that's really not a problem. I think many authors overemphasize formatting and don't realize it's not about the page: it's about what's on it. When you do get this published, it's possible you could have other fonts for handwriting, or maybe the editors will have it italicized. I'm pretty sure quotation marks won't be chosen, as they look like dialogue. Anyway, nice job!

Thanks TWK, you made me smile :)

TWK

Registered
Reaction score
=) I love this YA board. Back in May of 2006, before the board's info was wiped (and my entire account was lost), I and a few others petitioned Jenna to start this. I'm so glad she did. It shows me I'm not alone in thinking writing for non-adults isn't second rate.

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
You could make it clearer by giving it an intro, then splitting the sentences to follow under each other, and include the signature in the piece, then comment her disbelief (it that's what you were meaning)
ie:

I checked to make sure no one was looking before bending down to snatch it off of the floor. Mr. Powell was back at the front, writing formatting notes on the board. I slowly unfolded the paper under my desk, wincing at each crumpling noise, and I read his message:

I appreciate the offer, but I don’t need a shadow.
Maybe another time?
Tate Fox.

I couldn't believe he'd signed it!

(colour = bits I've added)

As suggested, I've used another font. I have avoided italics so that it doesn't clash with the italics used for thoughts. The main rule is to make it clear.

I've certainly seen CAPS in a different font for computer code and things, so if you think it's appropriate, why not use a scripted font that actually looks like handwriting. That way, you're saying to the agent/publisher that this is how you imagine it to look when printed; especially important if you want to include something really specific: a drawing, scribbled out words, smiley face etc. There no reason not to scan it in and put it in the document. Just keep the original safe in case the book gets taken on and the publisher wants to scan it themselves.

TWK

Registered
Reaction score
One comment: I don't agree with the "I couldn't believe he'd signed it!" line. I could never hear a teenage girl actually thinking, being surprised about a signature. And not this character, particularly. She seems tough. I don't think she'd be impressed by a simple signature. Just my seven cents.

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's probably down to me misreading the original line and not quite getting if she was making a point about the signature, or just mentioning it.

roskoebaby

Sorry, this was just an excerpt from the chapter. That was how she learned his name. Thanks !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.