PDA

View Full Version : Will an agent in the UK rep an American author?

HopelessDreamer
08-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I've sent queries to about twenty agents so far (all in the US), and I found most of them in the 2007 Guide to Literary Agents. There are a few agents listed in London who really interest me. If I send them queries, will they automatically reject my MS because of distance, format, inconvenience, etc.?

Bo Sullivan
08-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Some agents in London say they won't represent anyone in America or overseas, for practical reasons.

waylander
08-11-2007, 12:05 AM
But some will.
John Jarrold has clients from across the world
You don't know until you ask them

BrookieCookie777
08-11-2007, 12:34 AM
I"m sure some do. I still think it's better to have one in the US and there are alot of good agents in America. Do you research first. The thing about UK agents is there would probably be little phone contact due to overseas calls. That could grow pretty pricey for the agent and for you.

Good luck and God bless.

aruna
08-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Go ahead, if you think the shoe fits. I queried US agents from the UK and there was never a problem.

The only thing to think about is whether the book is one UK book publishers will want. Each country has its own tastes as far as publishing is concerned. Agents will look for a publisher in their own country first, so be aware of UK publishing trends.

victoriastrauss
08-13-2007, 09:31 PM
The only thing to think about is whether the book is one UK book publishers will want. Each country has its own tastes as far as publishing is concerned. Agents will look for a publisher in their own country first, so be aware of UK publishing trends.This is very wise advice. Before you query a UK agent, be sure your book is suitable for the UK market, or else is the kind of book that isn't market-specific, such as science fiction or fantasy.

- Victoria

Bo Sullivan
08-13-2007, 09:52 PM
And also be aware that English readers are sticklers for British spellings and not American spellings.