Conflict caused by the difference between my writing and speaking skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Overall, there is a very significant difference between my writing skills and my speaking skills. The evidence of this major difference can be found in the kind of response I receive from others when I write to them versus when I speak to them.

My writing tends to rub people the wrong way. I have been on the receiving end of all manner of unexpected negative response as a result of what I wrote.

It is very different when I speak. After I finish, people come up to hug me or shake my hand. They say thank you and tell me how much they appreciate what I had to say.

I realize there is an existing difference between the way people speak and the way they write however, my differences appear to be extreme.

It isn't my tongue that cuts like a double edge sword, it's my writing!

Any suggestions on how to bridge the gap a little better between writing content and speaking it would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you...I have the exact opposite problem. I generally write far better than I speak. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Can you give us examples?

Without examples, I could only guess... Perhaps in writing you tend to speak more freely and without inhibition, and sometimes that may come off as abrasive? Also, because there's no tone of voice, or body language, we do need to choose our words and context more carefully in writing. The same words could rub people the wrong way in writing because they could not see the twinkle and smile on your face to know that you were just joking, or being sarcastic. People also can't hear the warmth and concern in our voices, so in writing, we need to add things like "are you okay? I worry about you" etc. to indicate warmth and concern that can't be observed in real life.

I know I'm usually much more articulate in writing than in speech. Because in speech I rush, and I have an accent, and I don't have time to "edit." It's funny this past weekend people told me that I didn't type with an accent -- it was a funny observation. I also find myself more conscientious when I write -- I ponder more of the word choices I use. In real life, I tend to either babble or shut up if I don't have anything witty or wise to say. So I do seem to censor myself more in real life, but less articulate at the same time.

One thing I notice, especially when I go to an audition or see myself on video, is that I speak much faster than I type. I type fast enough -- about 70 words per minute, but if I talk at the speed of my typing, I would be speaking REALLLLY SLLLLOOOWWWW. I know I need to slow down my speech and articulate/annunciate better, and it's something I try to practice. A friend of mine, who was a TV newscaster, has the opposite problem. He types much faster than he speaks, and he appears to be much more articulate in person than in his writing (which feels wordy and jumbled sometimes).

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Gehanna - I gotta agree with the maestro. Give us some examples. Give us something short that you got negative feedback from. We'll ask you if "this" was what you meant to say, or invoke. Maybe that way we can focus in on "what's up".

Other than that, you might try recording what you want to say, then transcribing it. Try it a few times to see how it differs from what you would have written otherwise.

If I ever get my brain trained to use the speech recognition software built into Vista, I'm going to try doing my next short story verbally.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Speaking is different, to state the obvious. Inflection, body language, facial expression–all play into it. People who are personable can, for example, state political positions that are 180 degrees from the listener, but do so in such a way that the no one takes offense. Their whole persona can indicate, “I know you disagree, and I respect your opinions, but here’s the way I see it,” in a non confrontational manner.

Take the words alone, write them down, and you may well enrage a reader. I don't know if there's a way to avoid this, other than constantly walking on written eggs, and who wants to do that?

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Back when I used to supervise a whole bunch of people, I used to train people in the first week on how not to piss people off when sending an e-mail. I would explain that the recipient can't see the smile, hear the sarcasm, or just plain don't know them. It was very difficult for them to acquire the skill of the friendly, professional e-mail. When I had to address someone's work issues, I would always do it in person - so they could see my friendly face, my sympathetic expression, or sometimes a very stern visage, depending on what the problem was.
It seems that, for some reason, the warm and caring aspects of your personality is not coming across in your writing. If the subject matter is not too personal I agree you should post an example. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to give you some helpful feedback.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
I'm like Kristie911. I tend to have an exact opposite reaction. My writing tends to be better because I can take the time to edit and make sentences sound as fluid as possible (except when I post here :tongue ). When I talk, I find myself stumbling all over what I want to say unless I'm really interested in the subject at hand...and still, that comes out as a jumbled mess at best.

Individual body quirks can make up the difference possibly. Your inflection and tone of voice could be a reason.

I know a woman who is sarcastic to no end but we know it because she's sounds like it and it comes across as funny. But to write down those same words could be deemed offensive. For example, "I really love Strawberry Rhubarb Pie" could be taken just the opposite if she said it sarcastically while writing those same words without mentioning the tone would mean that she likes to gobble down on the strawberry-rhubarb pie.

For the record, I really love strawberry-rhubarb pie (said in sarcastic tone).

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
For the record, I really love strawberry-rhubarb pie (said in sarcastic tone).
I never cared for it, myself. Then we hired a new baker at work, and it was one of her specialities. I took a bite just to be polite. The best pie I ever tasted. Ever.

Sorry for the quick hijack. I'll pretend it's about writing--moral: anything can be great if done well.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
The best I can do to provide an example is to point out how I write here but, what I write here is not sufficient. Here, I am writing to writers who understand the mechanics of writing. Also, I have been responding to controversial topics indirectly. This is because I know my writing will only serve to start a fight or fuel the spark into a roaring flame. I know this because it has happened many, many times already.

The discrepancy between my writing and speaking blows me away. I am utilized at my place of employment to intervene in conflict. In fact, I teach others how to do it. When I began to prepare my CV for the first time, I realized that the majority of my recognition was based on how I communicate with others. I am not trying to brag. I just do not understand how my written communication seems to create conflict while my verbal is used to end it. I feel like a hypocrite or something.

I don't know. I suppose my writing lacks the conscientiousness I am able to communicate through non-verbal and para-verbal means. I do not know how to incorporate that same conscientiousness into my writing.

The reason this is such a big issue for me is because I have been asked to create additional programs about the subjects I speak on. Needless to say, I was thrilled until... I realized I was also being asked to create written material! The written material will be distributed and used as a resource for reference purposes!! Heh!

Ummm sure. I can do it provided they are willing to overlook the potential my writing has to instigate hate crimes! *smirk*

I was doing just fine with an outline and a few bullet points here and there. The provision of written detail by me is not just wrong, it's a mortal sin!

Yes I became a little dramatic just now but, I am serious about my inability to effectively communicate in writing.

Gehanna

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Yes I became a little dramatic just now but, I am serious about my inability to effectively communicate in writing. Gehanna
Sorry. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Seriously, there are some people at AW who delight in searching through posts hoping to find something to take offense at. They remind me of drunks in a bar. (Surely no one will take offense at that.)

Are you sure your perspective on your supposed lack of written communication skills is accurate?

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I am not certain rugcat. My prior experiences have left me feeling as if I had been writing to satan and a readership of demons. Doing that would certainly warp a person's reality.

Granted, not everyone is going to accept or understand what others write. My experience is such that I have had more negative response to my writing than positive. Enough to thwart my muse that's for sure.

When I look at a screen to begin typing or a piece of paper to begin writing, nothing happens. I can write here because, it is a different type of writing. It is different because there is an immediate or near immediate exchange of communication. I can't communicate with or to inanimateness.

Gehanna

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
Sounds like you need direct feedback. As others mentioned, why not post some of your writing that others have responded to negatively but which you didn't intend that. Maybe if others can identify the aspects of your written words that have been misread, you can figure out where the problem lies and fix it.

And maybe it's not all in what you wrote, but in the situation of the people reading what you wrote. That has to be part of it, but it's more reason to choose your words with extra care.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Karen Junker! :hi:

I actually tried that before. Unfortunately, it was then that I discovered I'm only good at faking one thing. :D

Eventually, I will figure something out. I hope.

And now I'd like to say something completely unrelated. Folding fitted sheets must be an OCD'ers nightmare! Not that I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder..much..but, I've been struggling with this fitted sheet for 15 min! argh

Gehanna

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Well, I really feel for you, Gehanna, and I mean that! I'm one of those people who isn't taken well in writing as well as in person (I'm big, with dark eyebrows and when I smile the corners of my mouth actually turn down!). It would be a full time job for somebody to help me figure out why people take me the wrong way. Even though I understand that people can be touchy, I still sometimes think they're being too touchy!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I realize that this may read as if I am making excuses however, I only have a few things left that I've written. Those things I had help with. Everything else has been deleted. Beyond that, I am unable to post what I have for ethical reasons.

Gehanna

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Could you share the specific negative feedback you've been getting? That might help us identify the problem and make suggestions.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Overall, there is a very significant difference between my writing skills and my speaking skills. The evidence of this major difference can be found in the kind of response I receive from others when I write to them versus when I speak to them.

My writing tends to rub people the wrong way. I have been on the receiving end of all manner of unexpected negative response as a result of what I wrote.

It is very different when I speak. After I finish, people come up to hug me or shake my hand. They say thank you and tell me how much they appreciate what I had to say.

I realize there is an existing difference between the way people speak and the way they write however, my differences appear to be extreme.

It isn't my tongue that cuts like a double edge sword, it's my writing!

Any suggestions on how to bridge the gap a little better between writing content and speaking it would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

OMG Geegee...I am the exact opposite. I get praise for my writing, am told that it moves people, etc, etc. And as soon as I start talking the magic stops. I wish I knew how to talk the way I write. If you figure out how to fix your problem...let me know and I will just do the opposite!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I have realized what is wrong with my writing! By the time I finish explaining this, you may suspect that not only do I have a couple of screws loose but, several are missing to. :D

The other day I was watching TV while also munching on some of those little white powder doughnuts. I love those things! As I was munching on one of them, an internal voice of mine said, "Describe that doughnut."

Notice I said internal voice as opposed to an external voice or auditory hallucination. I point this out because I do have some loose screws but, I keep the missing ones in my pocket. :tongue

My response was such that I began describing the doughnut in my head by means of my thoughts. That's when the internal voice said, "Now describe it on paper."

It was then that I became aware of the major difference between the way I write versus the way I speak. The thoughts I had in my mind when I initially described that doughnut changed. My thoughts were transformed from subjectivity to objectivity. In other words, I get stuck in documentation mode!

Now I understand why I was elected to be on the P&P (Policy and Procedure) Committee! lmao

Gehanna

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you found your answer. Always pick up something fatty and sweet when searching for truth :D

More seriously, if you find yourself stuck again, try using a tape recorder, then type it out. Compare. Good luck.

Seriously, there are some people at AW who delight in searching through posts hoping to find something to take offense at. They remind me of drunks in a bar. (Surely no one will take offense at that.)

Well, I'm offended! :guns:

Status
Not open for further replies.