Blank Pages

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
I have read on these forums that black ink is super cheap, but paper costs money. So if anything, publishers would rather cut down on page length, but word length is not the problem.

However, I noticed a lot of novels on my book-shelf here have quite a few BLANK pages at the end of the books. I am not sure if these were meant for some sort of note-taking (does anyone even do this with a fiction novel?).

I'm curious why so many novels include blank pages since it is considered expensive and a large waste to do so.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Books are printed in pages of 16s: 32, 48, 64, 80, 16, etc. pp. Most books have a couple of pages of front matter, where title page, copyrights, legal, etc. ar printed, and a couple of pages in back for whatever (in nf, indices, resources, notes, etc. In fiction, often this is where they'll talk about the author's other books, review quotes, or even what kind of type is used). Usually you leave at least two (one page, front and back) pages blank in the front of the book just because it looks nicer, too. Sometimes the length of the printed text doesn't match up perfectly to the number of pages necessary for printing, so you'll have more blanks.

Toxic_Waste

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it has something to do with one page being connected (bound) to another. Perhaps the pages in the front (title page, forward, dedication page, table of contents, etc.) just do not have anything on their "other half". Oh, now I see some similar comments.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Nomad is correct. There are a set number of pages in a "fold" (look at a textbook and you'll see it's made up of many tiny booklet style folds). If your book doesn't match that count exactly at the end, the blank pages make up for it. It's cheaper to print it that way than to the exact end of the story.