Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, so I have come to the conclusion that my novel should be categorized under mainstream/contemporary fiction.

Oddly, I don't read much mainstream/contemporary fiction. :)

Now that I'm starting to research agents and beginning my query letter, I'm wondering if, based on my little synopsis/hook, anyone could recommend any books that mine reminded them of? My aim here is to find some titles that I can compare my novel to, and perhaps also find agents on that basis. I appreciate any help! Here it is:

Raised as an assassin, Timothy decides to abandon the “family business” when Roger, his adoptive father, is shot and paralyzed. Now, finished with his surgical internship, Timothy returns home to find Roger bitter and untouchable. Timothy encourages him to meet an old associate at a local café; there, Roger encounters and forms an unlikely friendship with librarian Ellie Song. The relationship becomes life-threatening when Roger’s unbalanced elder son reappears, unintentionally alerting an old enemy to Roger’s presence. Faced with this deadly threat, Timothy must choose whether he will kill again. Can he save his family without sacrificing his future?

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jo,

I did this in my query. From what what I've seen on AW and agents' sites as examples of good query letters since my disastrous try, this is a no-no. You might want to ask in the novels forum, but I don't think we should compare our books to other books; use that space to talk about your novel instead.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jo - The first thought that came to my mind was The Godfather. But, as Erin said, I don't think it's a good thing to compare your work to a published work in your query (which, by the way, was a bit hard to understand). Using similar books to research agents is another matter and a good idea. Puma

bergalia

Registered
Reaction score
Can you think of similar books

Hi Jo - The first thought that came to my mind was The Godfather. But, as Erin said, I don't think it's a good thing to compare your work to a published work... Using similar books to research agents is another matter and a good idea. Puma

Spot on Puma.

Read, Jo, read. Everything you get your hands on. Remember there are only a limited number of 'plots' in existence. No-one (even me) can be totally original.The thing is to 'improve' on the subject. Write it better than it's been written before. Good luck.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
What I really find odd about this plot is that the center-piece action is done by Roger and not Timothy. To me, this is Roger's story not Timothys-- Tim's just a sub-plot.

If it is Roger's story it is a romance novel. Ex-hitman in wheelchair meets librarian just as old enemy comes to kill him.

236design

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.236design.com
Very interesting concept here. I'm very torn on the idea of pointing out novels similar to your own. I'm still not sure if it is a good or bad idea. A lot of the feedback I get on this topic are from writers of fantasy/horror/thriller. And in my opinion a vampire novel is a vampire novel is a vampire novel is a vampire novel. Since contemp. lit. covers such a large spectrum, I don't feel it's such a bad thing to point out novels/writers similar to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.