Who's Who At PublishAmerica

JCT

Banned
Reaction score
To give lurkers and new members a little insight into PublishAmerica, here's a who's who of the upper levels of PublishAmerica.

Willem Meiners: Co-founder of PA. Previously ran an upfront vanity publisher, Erica House, which became AmErica House which then became PublishAmerica. Willem Meiners is a native of The Netherlands.

Lawrence "Larry" Alvin: Co-founder of PA. Currently President of PA. No known experience in publishing of any shape or form.

Miranda Prather: Executive Director of PA. Runs the day to day operations of the place. Known scammer who faked a hate crime while a college student in New Mexico. No publishing experience.

Victor Cretella: Used to be on retainer for PA, now in house lawyer.

Alice King: Head of Human Resources, a confidante of Willem and gunslinger in defense of PA as required, for court appearances and such.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
The lower eschelon players have a huge turnover, so it's difficult if not impossible to keep track of editors, acquisition people, cover artists and so on. The biggest turnover is in Author Support -which is three or four people- and the worst possible position at PA. Sometimes new people are hired and walk out the same day. Normally a new hire is started out in Author Support, and if they can manage to survive the daily browbeatings from Miranda and learn to bullsh** to the authors successfully, they have a chance of being 'promoted' to another area. It's a miserable, cult-like existence. Not too many people can hack it for long. Most employees do not use their last name, for good reason.

JCT

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, that's why I concentrated at the top. No way I could keep up with the lower level employees.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I read a first-hand account of life as a PA editor in the comments over at Making Light a while back. I'm on very limited computer time now otherwise I'd link to it myself, but if someone else could dig it out it would make very interesting and appropriate reading for this thread, I think.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
I read a first-hand account of life as a PA editor in the comments over at Making Light a while back. I'm on very limited computer time now otherwise I'd link to it myself, but if someone else could dig it out it would make very interesting and appropriate reading for this thread, I think.

I know True Stories about PublishAmerica has some info directly from former staff. I'm not sure how to find the Making Light comments you mention, but this search for the phrase "Publish America" within the Making Light blog might help locate it. I know that first-hand PA employee information has almost completely dried up these days since they now have to sign away that right to get hired.

ACapron

Registered
Reaction score
I've only dealt with someone named Loretta and Michael.

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
I can't believe someone named "Clopper" works there. It sounds far too whimsical. Like the name of a Smurf or a Dwarf or some lovable such character, as opposed to one of the gatekeepers of Hades.