PDA

View Full Version : Industry association newsletters

talkwrite
08-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I have a problem with profession organization newsletters wanting me to submit an article for free and they won't accept simultaneous submissions. I have high level credentials in their field and I have been publishing articles on their subject matter for 15 years. Despite having a large audience which gives me more exposure to my peers and professional colleagues, these are volunteer run newsletters, they don't pay anyone. I know it isn't easy for them to get well written and informative articles and I am constantly having to educate them on rights and reprint permissions. My standard response is to say ~ if you don't pay for it, I own it and can submit it wherever I want~. Now I have a specific book review I want well distributed so I want to find a compromise that is based on publishing standards.
Is there a standard that mentions an amount of time that I can let them have to publish the article first and then I can submit it simultaneously retaining all rights?

Tsu Dho Nimh
08-15-2007, 06:47 AM
No standard. It's whatever you can negotiate.

talkwrite
08-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks. And a matter of finding newsletter editors educated in publishing.

Jeff Colburn
09-26-2007, 11:23 PM
In your cover letter you can always say, "If I haven't heard from you by (a future date 1-2 months away) I will be submitting this manuscript to other publications." It's always worked for me.

Have Fun,
Jeff