Personalizing queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
I had mentioned on an earlier thread the good results that I have gotten by personalizing queries. Reading the thread about the paid service that resulted in so many positive responses, I have to wonder about some things. It is obvious that BeranAries must have a great, timely idea and that's wonderful. Maybe I put too much stock in personalizing and researching queries. So here are some questions:

1) Is it more important to carefully select and research agents for fiction since it is harder to sell?
2) If the writing is good enough, will a generic query prompt more interest?
3) Am I wasting my time plowing through blogs, agents' current client lists + books they may have worked on as editors, etc.?
4) How do you personalize your queries? Do you simply change the name or do you talk about how the agent would be a good fit for you because of his or her background?

Pour yourself some tea (or whatever you want/need to drink right now) and share your experiences personalizing (or not personalizing) queries.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Seems that every agent who has blogged has mentioned how they dislike generic queries. I was never good at completely personalizing the queries, not in the "I read your blog/authors' books/whatever" way, though of course I didn't write "Dear Agent" either.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Like Barbarique, I change up the genre descriptions to fit the particular agent and perhaps state how it seems to fit into what they are interested in, but that's about it. I too am trying to get the queries out, probably too fast, because I'm a little on the impatient side.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Queries

To this point, at least, I've never had a personalized query fail to generate yes response.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Addressing the query letter with the person's name is important, because it shows that you've done enough homework and had enough interest to find out the agent's or editor's name.

Little irritates me more than the writer who doesn't bother to research the publishing house or agent and just goes down a list. It's newbie stuff and unprofessional. Look at it this way; you've spent a long time writing your manuscript, so it hardly makes sense to blindly send it out to any Joe or Jane Editor/Agent. People research plumbers far more than they do agents and editors, and this is a huge time waster for us. It doesn't matter what genre you write in; research is paramount.
2) If the writing is good enough, will a generic query prompt more interest?
Being addressed as, 'Dear Sir/Madam' tells me this writer didn't care enough to research our company and is more than likely a newbie writer. So, in a minor way, it's a Strike 1, but it isn't necessarily a deal killer. Just know that you'll be at the mercy of an editor's or agent's receptivity over being addressed generically.
3) Am I wasting my time plowing through blogs, agents' current client lists + books they may have worked on as editors, etc.?
The thing you have to ask yourself is whether anyone ever lost a deal because they knew too much. Knowledge is power and the more you know about an agent or editor, the more educated you are. This is not a bad thing. Remember, you're doing this to get the best deal for your hard work. Honor your writing by doing the research.
4) How do you personalize your queries? Do you simply change the name or do you talk about how the agent would be a good fit for you because of his or her background?
Most agents and editors can sniff a canned query letter from a mile away. Not a deal killer, but I am impressed with those who have obviously investigated us. It means they are fully aware of who we are and the books we publish and feel their work could fit in with our lineup. It's much nicer (and infinitely smarter) than the author who's basically throwing darts at a dartboard.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't personalize my queries very much beyond the salutation and a slight variation of the genre description (which was hard to pin down anyway.) My object all sublime was to send out a ton of inquiries, fast. (I have this impatience thing.)

Blogs generally bore me, but in the end I went with the only agent whose blog I really, really enjoyed. Funny how things work out, eh? :)

Barbarique, how many queries did it take -- and how many did you send out at a time?

hnh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hollynicolehoxter.com
Initially I thought personalizing my query letters would sound like "sucking up" and I wanted to stay as professional as possible. But then I personalized one and received a partial request, so I thought it might be a good idea.

All of my personalized query letters received requests for pages. I didn't do anything in-depth--I just mentioned specifically why I had selected them (mostly because they represented an author I enjoyed, but once because I'd heard from a specific author that she was a new agent interested in x genre). I don't know if the agents responded favorably because of the personalization, or if I'd just done a good job of targeting agents who would enjoy novels like mine. I also received a few requests from more generic queries.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Having a Hard Time

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to work in those portions of the query where you tell the agent why they'd be good for the book, short of saying "you state on (such and such site) that you want this, and my book has this" AND I've never quite figured out how to show the agent you understand about marketing, etc. In one of his books, Jeff Herman says to show the agent that you have a marketing plan in your initial query - but, short of fully describing my plan, I don't know how to sneak that in there.

Basically, what I'm ranting about is this:

I can write the synopsis and intro. fine, but everything after that is hard. Any advice?

I know, I know....

I'll go google now.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
This is not something you have to do.

I can see where Herman is coming from, but if you're sending out mass queries -- as 90% of writers do -- then I don't see how it's quite possible to fit each query with a particular agent. I certainly didn't have anything like it my query. If the story is solid, and if you've got a solid hook, you will get feelers from agents.

However, if you want to add something like this, you might track down the agent's client list and compare your book to one of the agent's. You might say, "I loved your Bestseller, and I feel like my book is a lot like that one." Or something like that.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
but couldn't work it in so I didn't sound like a total ass-kisser or creepy stalker.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

This is not something you have to do.

I can see where Herman is coming from, but if you're sending out mass queries -- as 90% of writers do -- then I don't see how it's quite possible to fit each query with a particular agent. I certainly didn't have anything like it my query. If the story is solid, and if you've got a solid hook, you will get feelers from agents.

That's good to know. Thanks!

I always thought it was like essential that you add that stuff in. Maybe I just won't now, and I'll concentrate on the synopsis instead. Thanks!

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I've never personalized my queries (beyond addressing agents by name), but I never sent out 85 queries, either (gasp!). I think I sent out about twenty or thirty for THOR, got a bunch of requests for full submissions (it was a long time ago), and one (accepted) offer of representation.

But after reading jamesaritchie and priceless' posts, I'm definitely going to personalize my queries for my latest. Especially since I'm starting by querying agents I REALLY want to rep me...

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
I can write the synopsis and intro. fine, but everything after that is hard. Any advice?

Yeah, don't think of it as a synopsis, think of it as a sales pitch. When you read the back of a paperback, it's a teaser, not really a synopsis. That's how your query should read, too.

If you can make your "synopsis" compelling, so the reader wants to know more, you're more than halfway there. For one thing, it shows the agent that you know how to grab and hold a reader's attention.

First rule of showbiz (which is what fiction-writing is):

Always leave 'em wanting more.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Why should I personalize my query if they're just going to turn around and send me a form letter anyway?

That said, I wouldn't know HOW to personalize it. I'm only picking them because their name popped up on agentquery and I had honestly never heard of them prior to that.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
To this point, at least, I've never had a personalized query fail to generate yes response.

I would just like to point out that James is a tried and true professional in the writing and editing business. I think we'd do well not to pass this nugget of information up.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Why should I personalize my query if they're just going to turn around and send me a form letter anyway?

That said, I wouldn't know HOW to personalize it. I'm only picking them because their name popped up on agentquery and I had honestly never heard of them prior to that.

Hi Shadow,

It can take some time, but I think it is worth looking past agentquery for information. Most agencies have websites and they list authors they rep...if those authors write books like yours, point it out.

For example, my book is a suspense novel starring a midwife (shocking, I know!). So, when an agent reps medical thrillers, I point out how it is like a medical thriller. When an agent reps books about bed & breakfast owners, wine experts, chefs, etc., solving mysteries, I suggest that a mystery solving midwife might interest them. Heck, I have my eye on an agent who represents mysteries but also represents a nonfiction book on women's health by a nurse practitioner...that agent might be very interested in my book.

Like I said, this takes time. I send out maybe 2 queries a week, but I have been getting positive results.

Do you have a query or synopsis on SYW? Maybe we could brainstorm some ways for you to personalize your query letters.

Good luck!

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
I tried working in that I read a particular agent's blog every day (which was true) but couldn't work it in so I didn't sound like a total ass-kisser or creepy stalker.

It isn't essential and most likely won't earn you a reject. :)

I phrase it: "I'm a longtime reader of your blog...." Could mean everyday, could mean on occasion....

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm working through my A list of agents I'd love to have represent me. I make sure to get their name right, and that they are looking for the kind of thing I write. Other than that, I haven't done much in the way of personalization like "I think my book would be a good fit because its like so-and-so who you represent". I can't seem to do that without (like some have said upthread) making it look like I'm being a complete kiss-ass. Instead I try to make it professional overall, make the 'pitch' part as intriguing as I can, and I take real pains to adhere to their submission/query guidelines.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big believer in personalizing queries whenever possible. It takes time to read blogs, etc., but anything that demonstrates your professionalism is worth doing. I even joined Publishers Marketplace, which allows you to search their database of deals. Highly recommended.

When I was seeking representation, here are some of the approaches I took, depending on the situation:

1. I understand that you represent one of my favorite authors, Name, and are seeking new clients. (This was part of the query letter I sent to my now-agent.)
2. Knowing that you represent Author X and Y, I thought you might be interested in my mystery novel, TITLE.
3. I discovered you through your informative and entertaining blog, and understand you’re interested in mysteries.
4. I've heard great things about your agency from my fellow Sisters in Crime members.

All of these approaches resulted in requests for partials or fulls.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score

What people are saying is, when they've taken the time to do research and personalize a query, they're not getting form rejections. They're receiving requests for partials or personalized rejections.

Regardless of whether you're personalizing your query or not, you should still be researching them before submitting to them. You want to make certain they truly represent your type of work and that their business practices are reputable.

I can't seem to do that without (like some have said upthread) making it look like I'm being a complete kiss-ass. Instead I try to make it professional overall, make the 'pitch' part as intriguing as I can, and I take real pains to adhere to their submission/query guidelines.

Don't think of it as kissing-ass or sucking up, but as a simple statement of fact. Where you learned of them, why you're submitting to them, why you think your work would be a good fit for them to represent.*

*Keep in mind, I've just started the agent hunt. Weight my opinion accordingly.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I've personalized queries and have had form rejections, but maybe I'm not a good personalizer or a sucky writer; maybe those agents were just wrong for me. Anyway, if the rest of your query isn't great, the fact that it's personalized isn't going to help you much.

Of course, I still suggest doing it. It will help some. Even if they would've requested sample pages from your generic query, they'll probably be more impressed and more eager to read your work after you've personalized it. If they're on the fence about requesting or rejecting, maybe the personalized query will help you get on the right side of the fence. If they're going to reject you, maybe it'll mean the difference between a personal and form rejection.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten my best responses through personalized queries and now I try to personalize every one I send. I start by asking myself why I want this particular agent and why I think we would be a good match. There must be SOME reason I'm querying this specific person.

I spend a ridiculous amount of time researching each one I send to, including reading blogs and checking with Publisher's Market, etc... This is why I don't send more than one or two queries a week. I think it's also why I get very few form rejections. Targeting the correct agent for your work is key. Letting that person know why they should want to read your pages is just good business.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
I've personalized queries and have had form rejections, but maybe I'm not a good personalizer or a sucky writer; maybe those agents were just wrong for me. Anyway, if the rest of your query isn't great, the fact that it's personalized isn't going to help you much.

Exactly. I think personlizing a query simply helps tip things in your favor. But if the agent isn't interested in your premise for whatever reason, the personalization won't cancel that out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.