Advice, please?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing on a supernatural coming of age story. I was working on a while back, but I got sidetracked with a screenplay I started working on. I am directing the film in October, and I am pretty busy with that. But in the meantime, I want to do some reading that will help me with the story I want to write.

Can anyone recommend some good books along those same lines? Horror, or paranormal romance, perhaps, preferebly with younger characters, but not necessarily YA? I want to check out lots of different styles. Thanks for reading!

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Dragonjax's Hell's Belles. It is a paranormal romance-came out at the beginning of the year. It was a good/fun read and might be something you'd like. I believe the sequel is supposed to be coming out soon...

Good luck with your writing and your film.

Take care -

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series is great. It is YA, though, so I'm not sure if it'll help you.

There's a series of 4 books I'm trying to remember tha titles/authors of, but I can't...I have them, though, so I'll repost with the names later today.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
There are four books by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie that can be bought in two volumes called Wicked and Wicked 2. They're kind of paranormal romance...well, yeah, I guess they are. They're in the YA section, but I think they're more for the lower end of YA.

Then there's the Unseen tetralogy by Richie Cusick. It's YA horror romance, I guess. I'm not really sure about ages for those, though...I didn't find them scary, but others might. But I think you could probably still get some help from them.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
It is YA, though, so I'm not sure if it'll help you.

Thanks, everyone who has responded so far. I just wanted to add that while the story I am writing is probably not going to be YA, it's okay if the books you recommend are. I would like to see some that are YA, and others that are maybe not YA, but have teens as characters.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Best coming of age story I've read is probably Robert McCammon's Boy's Life.

It's not necessarily supernatural, but there are some ghosts and death and a mystery. I read it in high school and was absolutely blown away by it. It's so much better than anything else McCammon wrote that you wonder if he weren't struck by some divine lightning. I think Stephen King calls it one of the finest coming-of-age stories he's read as well.

Fine, fine novel.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
John Connolly...one of my favorites...has written a book called 'The Book of Lost Things' which sounds like what you're looking for. The protag is a twelve year old and everything John writes hints at the supernatural at the very least. The Book of Lost Things is sortof a fairy tale type story.

Neil Gaiman has a book...recently released in movie form...called 'Stardust'. It is totally a fairy tale but a very good one. The mc is young and must do some growing throughout the course of the story.

Jonathan Lethem...aside from being my favorite writer...has a book called 'Girl in Landscape'. The mc is a pubescent girl named Pella Marsh. It isn't a supernatural story but it is a science fiction so there is oddness abundant. It was based at least partly on The Searchers by John Ford.

Lethem...again...also has a book called 'The Fortress of Solitude' which is pure coming of age with some superhero type stuff sprinkled lightly throughout...very lightly. Probably the best coming of age story I have ever read. Lethem is a master of place and you can really live through his young lead.