Mothers & daughters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess_13

Hi - I'm in the process of refining some ideas for my YA novel and was hoping for some inspiration from you guys. I've seen in past threads that some of you have some awesome ideas and advice. Basically, I want to write a novel in which the relationship between a teenage girl and her mother is significant. Firstly, I've read previous messages indicating that teens aren't specially interested in reading about adults or parents in novels - so one of my concerns is, if the teen protagonists relationship with her mother is significant, will that instantly turn teen readers off? Also, in the novel, the protagonist's older sister has gone missing - leaving the protagonist and her mother to pick up the pieces, as they attempt to unravel the mystery of the older sister's disappearance, and in the process the protagonist and her mother will learn stuff about each other, and maybe unravel some family secrets...What I was hoping for is feedback re:
- Does this sound really boring for teens to read about?
- Any ideas about why the older sister may have gone missing, and what secrets might be unravelled? Any thoughts and ideas welcome cos I'm finding it hard to think of anything very original re: the sister's disappearance!

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
I am sure you'll get quite a few answers like mine, but: anything is interesting if you write it interestingly! If the main character is easy to relate to, feels three-dimensional and real, then readers will care about what happens to her and what happens to her relationship with her mother. Plus you have the mystery - I think a teen would see that as the real story, not the mother-daughter relationship. That should be something which just infuses the story, you know? And you have to make the relationship to the mother important to the MC - maybe she never had a good one before the sister went missing, maybe mom favored the sister, maybe she feels the mother wishes she had been the one to go and not the sister etc. Create drama, tension and conflict and you have yourself a story!
I'm crap with mysteries so you'll have to figure out why sis goes missing on your own! ;)

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
Hello and welcome, Princess_13!

I agree with moonfish in that anything can be interesting if written well. I do think teenage girls would be interested in reading a good mother-daughter story. However, one of the conventions of YA, and one of the things that makes it different from middle grade (MG) literature, is that the teen protagonist should be the one solving the problem. In MG books, you often see an adult stepping in to help the young protagonist. In YA, we see the protagonist taking charge of his / her life and problems and being the one to take risks and make decisions.

I'm writing a YA novel right now in which the teen guy protagonist's relationship with his mother is a big part of the story. The mother has some mental and emotional problems, so the protagonist is her caretaker much of the time, and he makes most of the decisions around the house.

As for why the sister in your novel has gone missing... hmm... she could have been kidnapped. She could have run off to live with another member of the family, which perhaps figures in to your "family secrets" idea. She might be scared of her mother for some reason, and ran away to escape her. She could have run off to live with a significant other. She could have run away to join a band / theater troupe / dance troupe / movie cast / circus group, but didn't want to tell her mother because she knew she wouldn't approve.

Have you started writing the story yet? While I try to outline some of my stuff beforehand, I usually find that the answers to some of my questions about plot and character motivation come to me while I'm writing the first draft (or second draft. Or third draft). Anyway, good luck with it!

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps the daughter and mother have a bad relationship -- until the 2nd daughter goes missing. There could be a wide range of emotions to write about in such a scenario. On the other hand, perhaps this has already been done.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
You can also make it more compelling for the reader by adding some major emotional challenges to your MC. Sister was crack addict, joined skin-head gang and is living on the streets. Mom has terminal cancer, and wants to bring family together before she dies.

Or you can go to a sci-fi or fantasy route.

Sister was kidnapped by aliens who are major fans of the I Love Lucy Show. (You sister looks a lot like Lucy Ball) And now your MC and her mom are left to search the galaxy to find her. Your MC is surprised to find that her mom is actually a retired space cowgirl and has a spacecraft that she keeps in the shabby barn on their 20 acre farm. Adventures ensue...:guns::guns::guns:

Last edited:

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
I think if you pulled the mother-daughter relationship off right it would work. You can't just have the relationship for the sake of having the relationship, you have to make it real, you have to make it believable, and like any relationship, it can't be perfect all the time. Also, what satori said, I agree with, I think it also a very big point. If you're going to write YA and you have an adult step in and the adult takes the main role of solving the mystery, I think that would almost immediately turn me off, because I want to read about people like me who can do it, because I know, as a teen, that I might not be invincible, but I shouldn't have to hold mommy's hand for everything; I want to go out there and solve it myself. Sometimes they fail in that and then you need the help. Does that make sense?

And maybe, if this relationship was so close, the sister ran away for attention? Because she felt like her mother was neglecting her by spending so much time with the other sister that she wouldn't be missed anyways?

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...I believe in that thread I protested the idea that adults shouldn't be important in YA. I'm actually sick of reading YA's with invisible parents. I don't know a single teenager who doesn't go home every night, who doesn't fight with their parents, who doesn't love their parents deep down.

A teenager's relationship with his parents is very, very important.

This book sounds interesting. Go for it.

VisionScript

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm.... What would make a girl disappear? I'm too whimpy to go negative, so let's say... shame. A pregnancy. After all those long discussions and warnings. She fights with her boyfriend and runs away to a home for pregnant girls.

And what if the girl who's still with the mom finds herself with an unwanted pregancy and the mom (more clingy and snoopy because of the other daughter's disappearance) overhears a phone conversation and discovers the pregnancy. They have tender and angry discussions and debates over how to handle the estremely unwanted pregnancy. The mom wants the child desperately because of the loss of the other daughter.

The pregnancy could end in miscarriage and the mom would still have a newborn when the missing daughter finally decides to come home.

Part of the mystery could be how strange the missing daughter's boyfriend is acting in her absence.

I know, probably not something teens want to read, but it was off the top of my head.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I like reading about adults as well as teenagers...it's not like you turn a certain age and turn boring. Well, maybe some people do.

Maybe she was kidnapped and inducted into some cult?

Princess_13

Great ideas

Thanks guys for your responses - some great ideas re: why the sister might have disappeared. Stuff like pregnancy, being kidnapped, joining a cult, living with another family member etc - all good stuff! I also like the idea that maybe the mother and daughter never had a good relationship, until the sister goes missing. I haven't actually started the writing process as yet - like satori suggested, perhaps some of the answers will come to me once I start writing (I hope so!) I'm glad to hear that teens are actually interested in reading about parents in their novels - but I agree with some of the posts that the teen protagonist should be the one to solve the mystery without the mother intervening too much - the teen should show independence and courage - this would be more interesting for YA's to read about than having the mother step in and solve everything.

I think the reason I want to write a relationship in which the mother-daughter relationship is significant, is because it seems to me that in a fair few YA novels the mother is given an insignificant role - sometimes portrayed as weak or ineffectual. Or else being a mother is her only role - she is not portrayed as a strong character in her own right, with her own interests and desires and weaknesses. I like the idea of challenging the stereotype of the mother role in YA novels. But having said that, I do understand that the novel can't be purely about the mother-daughter aspect - the mystery of the sister's disappearance will actually be the main focus of the novel.

roskoebaby

What could be interesting is if the mom always favored the older sister, and now the MC is struggling with not only the loss of her sister, but also the guilt that feels for being (slightly) happy.

Maybe in the beginning the mom is a bit of a witch, but as they try to unravel the daughters disappearce, she is in awe of her younger daughters intelligence.

Girls go missing for a lot of reasons, but I'd put my money on an ex-boyfriend. I think any talk of guys will draw in even a reluctant reader.

Hope i helped!!

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
You can always build a good story in which a parent plays a major role as long as the focus remains very squarely on your YA protagonist, her world and her concerns. You won't run into trouble unless you mess up that balance -- and then you have trouble indeed.

One really great example is the book Bloom by Elizabeth Scott (just read this and loved it, so will be raving about it for a while!) Although the main focus on the story is on Lauren's first love, we get a lot of background on her troubled past and the emotionally distant father who raised her alone. At first it seems that the dad isn't one of the main characters, but it becomes clearer, later in the book, that some of Lauren's inability to commit romantically is an inherited trait. Although she works out her problems on her own -- keeping the focus on her -- there is a very meaningful conversation between her and her father that serves as the final scene of the book. It's a compelling scene between the father and the daughter (and made me choke up a bit), but it works in the greater scheme of the book as well, because we know that the greater understanding Lauren has of her father is part of her greater understanding of herself. That, to me, was a superlative example of using a parental relationship as a key part of a YA and having it work very well.

Princess_13

Sounds like I need to make a huge effort to remember to focus on the teen protagonist and ensure it's her who is solving problems by herself. I like the idea of the sister going missing because of an ex-boyfriend, thanks roskoebaby - you're right that this may hook in some teen girl readers! Claudiagray, the book Bloom by Elizabeth Scott sounds like a great e.g. of the parent being significant without taking over the plot. I'll definitely hunt down a copy of this.

If anyone has any other suggestions of YA books where a parent is significant to the plot but the focus is still on the teen, I'd love to hear them! Any help appreciated.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

My sister wanted me to mention the Alice books my Phylis Renolds Naylor...okay....

The Book Thief by Markus Zusac

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

Where the Kissing Never Stops by Ron Koertge

Stoner and Spaz by Ron Koertge

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in an extremely antagonistic relationship with my mother, and as a young adult, would drop this book like a hot potato.

The reason why I don't read a lot of YA is because I tend to project a lot of my own problems into YA fiction and then proceed to see the characters handle the problem in profoundly stupid ways. It may not happen in your story, but it may happen in many story before.

I'm not going to say that this is explicitly a bad thing and that you should go on and have transparent parents (which is absolutely ridiculous, they should have some modicrum of intelligence), but that's just a warning about your audience.

Princess_13

Thanks heaps for the book suggestions - I have a lot of reading to do! I was pleased to see Melina Marchetta's Saving Francesca on your list Shady - I always like to see Australian authors being recognised o/s. I'm a big fan of the way Marchetta handles the mother-daughter dynamic in her books. The Book Thief has been on my reading list forever - think it's time to give that one a try too. Think it's one of those books that crosses over into adult fiction too from what I've heard?

I was also interested to see Haphazard's response to the idea of reading about mother-daughter rleationships in YA fiction:

I'm currently in an extremely antagonistic relationship with my mother, and as a young adult, would drop this book like a hot potato.

I was interested to read this cos as a teen I had a bad relationship with my father and yet was always fascinated to read about father-daughter relationships in books to observe the different ways the relationship was explored. I can understand how reading about a teen MC handling the relationship in an unrealistic way could be really annoying though if you're going through a similar thing yourself in real life. I guess I was hoping to just show one experience of a mother-daughter relationship and hopefully it will be realistic - but admittedly this is a tricky thing to pull off. I think this highlights to me again that the mother-daughter dynamic should really only be one aspect of the novel and the focus should be on the teen and other things that are significant to her - like her friends and her missing sister and maybe boys. Feels like this is going to be a hard book to do well though...

Status
Not open for further replies.