Gadgets, gear and/or tools...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh, I have plenty of gadgets! I have a ruler with a big circle thingie tacked onto it. I forget what it's called but it's used for charting flights. I got it when I took beginning aviation.

I also have a little... um, it's a very old drafting tool. It has a little dial on it, like the face of a pocketwatch, and then a teeny metal roller on the bottom. You roll it across your plan and then you can use that to convert the distance on the plan to the real-world distance. IE, 4 centimeters = 1 meter, or whatever. It was my grandpa's.

My dad has a tool which I will enjoy inheriting someday (not that I want him to die). It's a brass sextant that he used when we lived on a sailboat. Today if you buy one they're usually just aluminum or plastic. So this one's very fancy.

Those are my more interesting items. :)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
My favorite tool is Haggis. :ROFL:

Or maybe Thunder, or Bard. Then again, it could be me, I'm a tool, too. Perhaps Spooky. Oh, there are so many to choose from.

Normally it's just guys refered to as tools, but if we open it up to women, well, there's a whole new ballgame.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Normally it's just guys refered to as tools, but if we open it up to women, well, there's a whole new ballgame.

Heh. I'll take this a different way and say that if I had to be a tool, I'd be a crowbar: slender, curvaceous, and used to both open doors and shut mouths.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
That's cool, Az. I'm backing away now. I was just a-joshing, ya know.

Wow, look, the space shuttle. (Joe turns and runs for his worthless life.)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
tool or not, Az may well be my new hero.

Got this Vidalia Onion Chopper thingie from the "As Seen on TV" outlet awhile ago. Makes the veggie prep for potatoes o'brien, for 4 people, in about 2 minutes. Fruit salad in just a few moments more (more peeling). Just a cool tool.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Don't be sooooo obvious......

My Dremmell is pretty cool, especially when it is used to manicure the dogs' nails.
Ouch, a sore spot for me. I was just looking for mine a couple days ago (you can use a curtoff wheel to remove copper from a blank copper-clad board for making printed circuits, thus making crude traces. I want to see if I can reasonably solder 0805 SMT LED's to a board), and it appears that someone else who inhabits this property has "borrowed" it. Yet another reason I need to move out.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My front-loading washer with a window in the door. There's something meditative about watching an entire cycle from first fill to final spin.

I can so relate. And I'm doing so much more laundry now, which I hated doing before.

---

Removable hard drives. I love those things. Some people collect stamps; some people collect coins; I collect removable hard drives (at least 120GB).

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Thumb drive collector here. Aren't they just miraculous? Remember when a 100 meg hard drive was an expensive luxury? Remember when PCs came with 1 meg of RAM?

Yeah. Didn't think so, you young pups, you.