PDA

View Full Version : Publisher help?

brenda c
08-07-2007, 07:26 AM
MY gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After reading 95% of the info posted I don't know If I should Say Hello first or just let all of the newbies to follow me, and the old members to not forget me in the room for hopeless, helpless and loss! just on my reading of a couple of chapters i have request from 1500 and was given permission to have a book signing at my daughter's high school today! but
i don't know if i should go stand in my backyard in the pouring rain or just stop now and not go through with my book! I WASSSS considering self publishing, because after getting all geeked up, begging on wounded,crippled knee to my husband,and finally threating to send him to the moon(just kidding!) if i couldn't go the the big BEA Writers Conference
he caved in probably because he knows how bad i want this,I spent more on the flight,and conference then we could afford, got 6 request for my
manuscript, later rejections from 5 and 1 stating if i got a professional editor to assist with the editing just 2 tweak it! MEMBERS! I AM TOTALLY LOST AND CONFUSED! handouts will be graciously accepted.
boy! i feel better.

James D. Macdonald
08-07-2007, 07:44 AM
BEA Writer's Conference?

Okay, which publisher asked you to get a "professional editor"?

JerseyGirl1962
08-07-2007, 05:15 PM
if i couldn't go the the big BEA Writers Conference
he caved in probably because he knows how bad i want this,I spent more on the flight,and conference then we could afford, got 6 request for my
manuscript, later rejections from 5 and 1 stating if i got a professional editor to assist with the editing just 2 tweak it! MEMBERS! I AM TOTALLY LOST AND CONFUSED! handouts will be graciously accepted.
boy! i feel better.

Brenda,

Who's the publisher? And did that publisher steer you to any specific editors?

~Nancy

veinglory
08-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Take a deep breath. There is always a next thing to try, a way to move forward. Start by working out if the recommendation was a good idea or a bum steer.

CheshireCat
08-08-2007, 04:03 AM
BEA Writer's Conference?

Yeah, that baffled me a little bit.

Birol
08-08-2007, 04:14 AM
MY gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After reading 95% of the info posted I don't know If I should Say Hello first or just let all of the newbies to follow me, and the old members to not forget me in the room for hopeless, helpless and loss!

Deep breath. Slow down.

Hello is always a great place to start. My name's Lori. I'm known as Birol around here and I moderate the Roundtable forum, which is just one very small section of the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler. We're a diverse community united by our love of the written word. We're happy to have you as one of us.

If you're ever not certain where to go, just click on the View Forum Leaders (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showgroups.php) link near the bottom of the main page. It will show you a list of moderators, sages, and administrators, and who's responsible for what room. You can click on the Send PM button next to any of their names and send them a private message asking where the best place to post your question or experiences would be. We do our best not to lose anyone.

just on my reading of a couple of chapters i have request from 1500

I'm not quite certain what you're saying here. Is 1500 an agency or a publisher?

and was given permission to have a book signing at my daughter's high school today! but
i don't know if i should go stand in my backyard in the pouring rain or just stop now and not go through with my book!

Are you saying you have permission for a signing before you've even finished writing your book and before it's been published? That's great!

But, again, let's take a deep breath and slow down. One thing at a time.

I WASSSS considering self publishing,

What about self-publishing appeals to you? Why were you considering it?

because after getting all geeked up, begging on wounded,crippled knee to my husband,and finally threating to send him to the moon(just kidding!) if i couldn't go the the big BEA Writers Conference
he caved in probably because he knows how bad i want this,I spent more on the flight,and conference then we could afford,

Given this, you may want to very carefully consider whether or not to self-publish. It can be very expensive to do and the majority of individuals do not earn their investment back.

Uncle Jim has a slogan that he's taught to all of us, it's "Money flows toward the writer."

Remember it. Repeat it often.

got 6 request for my manuscript, later rejections from 5

Six requests and five rejections is not bad at all. Congratulations!

and 1 stating if i got a professional editor to assist with the editing just 2 tweak it!

This is raising some red flags with many members here. Who is the editor? Did they recommend a specific editing service? We need a few more details if we're going to be able to help you out to the best of our abilities.

MEMBERS! I AM TOTALLY LOST AND CONFUSED! handouts will be graciously accepted.

It's okay. You're among like-minded individuals here who want you to succeed and are willing to help you. We just need a little more information before we can do so.

boy! i feel better.

Good, but remember to keep breathing. Breathing is very important.

brenda c
08-08-2007, 05:10 AM
BEA Writer's Conference?

Okay, which publisher asked you to get a "professional editor"?
Thanks for inquiring,
The Krista Goering Literary Agency LLC.
Lawerence Kansas

brenda c
08-08-2007, 05:12 AM
Brenda,

Who's the publisher? And did that publisher steer you to any specific editors?

~Nancy
Hi Thanks,
No and thank gawd i didn't learn about their antics until after i'd read writers beware. The Krista Goering Literary agency

brenda c
08-08-2007, 05:15 AM
Take a deep breath. There is always a next thing to try, a way to move forward. Start by working out if the recommendation was a good idea or a bum steer.
Thanks at this point i'll try anything.. Its just that i completed this after re-writing it 10 times and i have soooo many people who wanted to buy it.
now only to find out that if i do self publish , the odds r sooo much against me

brenda c
08-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Deep breath. Slow down.

Hello is always a great place to start. My name's Lori. I'm known as Birol around here and I moderate the Roundtable forum, which is just one very small section of the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler. We're a diverse community united by our love of the written word. We're happy to have you as one of us.

If you're ever not certain where to go, just click on the View Forum Leaders (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showgroups.php) link near the bottom of the main page. It will show you a list of moderators, sages, and administrators, and who's responsible for what room. You can click on the Send PM button next to any of their names and send them a private message asking where the best place to post your question or experiences would be. We do our best not to lose anyone.

I'm not quite certain what you're saying here. Is 1500 an agency or a publisher?

Are you saying you have permission for a signing before you've even finished writing your book and before it's been published? That's great!

Given this, you may want to very carefully consider whether or not to self-publish. It can be very expensive to do and the majority of individuals do not earn their investment back.

Uncle Jim has a slogan that he's taught to all of us, it's "Money flows toward the writer."

This is raising some red flags with many members here. Who is the editor? Did they recommend a specific editing service? We need a few more details if we're going to be able to help you out to the best of our abilities.

It's okay. You're among like-minded individuals here who want you to succeed and are willing to help you. We just need a little more information before we can do so.

Thank you for your response. i went to bed in tears, which was 1 reason that i was intimidated in sending my manuscript out in the first place.The rejection.
they say if u can't take it then ur not cut out 2b a writer. maybe so my story is real. its what happened 2 me, i know every detail, from that time and evry page by heart. the 1500 is the number of people who want a copy of the book which i call the witness. some wanted to put a payment to hold it,i didn't accept, i figured with sooo many people it had to be ok. these r not family, these r total strangers and people that i have talked 2 about the book.why self publish? because of the rejections, annnndddd, i don't know how to edit or tweak my book any more than i have already, and i'm tooo chicken to let a group pick me apart. other than that....

brenda c
08-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Thank you for your response. i went to bed in tears, which was 1 reason that i was intimidated in sending my manuscript out in the first place.The rejection.
they say if u can't take it then ur not cut out 2b a writer. maybe so my story is real. its what happened 2 me, i know every detail, from that time and evry page by heart. the 1500 is the number of people who want a copy of the book which i call the witness. some wanted to put a payment to hold it,i didn't accept, i figured with sooo many people it had to be ok. these r not family, these r total strangers and people that i have talked 2 about the book.why self publish? because of the rejections, annnndddd, i don't know how to edit or tweak my book any more than i have already, and i'm tooo chicken to let a group pick me apart. other than that....
ps. the book signing is for 2 clinics the second is 21,216 sq ft. i am a nurse and a patient and know mostly all of the staff. we're talking alot of people. i have been a nurse for 29 years i know alot of doctors,nurses,cna,lab people does it mean that they wouldn't buy the book? theres always that possibility not it wasn't a strong probability. as far as the literary agent she didn't specify when she said tweak /and whip into shape, she also said it was very compelling but needed help 2b written more stylistically, and that then she would be willing 2 take another look at it.

brenda c
08-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Deep breath. Slow down.

i looked up coyote wild.. they do fiction and a little poetry...
my story is a true story.

DeadlyAccurate
08-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Welcome to the boards.

Please understand that my intent is not to offend but as this is a writers' board, using proper spelling and grammar, rather than chat speak, is very much appreciated. It's a great way for us to keep our skills in top form since it's to our betterment to become the best communicators we can.

Birol
08-08-2007, 05:48 AM
Thank you for your response. i went to bed in tears, which was 1 reason that i was intimidated in sending my manuscript out in the first place.The rejection. they say if u can't take it then ur not cut out 2b a writer.

I don't think there's a writer on this board who will tell you that rejection doesn't sometimes get to them. It's hard for it not to. You work really hard at something only to be stymied by forces beyond your control. Some days, some weeks, some months, are just like that. But you keep going because the alternative is not to grow, not to develop, not to publish.

Even if you go the self-publishing route, there will still be rejection. It will just from different sources.

maybe so my story is real. its what happened 2 me, i know every detail, from that time and evry page by heart. the 1500 is the number of people who want a copy of the book which i call the witness. some wanted to put a payment to hold it,i didn't accept, i figured with sooo many people it had to be ok. these r not family, these r total strangers and people that i have talked 2 about the book.

You're saying the book is a memoir? It's about your life, your personal experiences? Then, yes, I know it will be very personal to you, very much about who and what you are and what you went through, but one thing you're going to have to understand is no one is going to feel your pain like you do. The individuals who read your book, the strangers, they will not see you as a person, but as a story, regardless of what you went through, regardless of what you lived. It won't be personal to them, not like it is to you. You must be prepared for that.

why self publish? because of the rejections,

Again, there will still be rejections even if you self-publish. There will be bookstores that won't host signings or allow your books to be shelved because you're self-published. There will be individuals who will consider the book "not real" if it's self-published. There will be people who are less likely to buy or read your book if they learn it's self-published. That's not to say those people are right. It's just one of those things that self-published authors must contend with. Even though it's not coming from editors or agents, it is still a form of rejection and it's something you must be prepared to face if you choose to self-publish.

annnndddd, i don't know how to edit or tweak my book any more than i have already,

This is actually a strong argument against self-publishing. Everyone needs a second set of eyes, someone who can tell you whether the images in your brain have actually made it to the page. Not having a book that is mechanically well-written book is one of the problems that will deter readers and bookstores.

and i'm tooo chicken to let a group pick me apart. other than that....

This is something that you're going to have to find a way to get over. If you publish, regardless of whether you are published by a commercial press or choose to self-publish, there will be people who pick the book apart. In a commercial press, your editor will be the first to do so in order to help make the book the best it can possibly be. Whether you are commercially published or self-published, reviewers will have a go at it. All reviews are not 100% favorable. Good reviews point out the books flaws as well as its strengths. And readers, yeah, readers, even readers who already know you, can be brutal.

DeadlyAccurate
08-08-2007, 05:50 AM
I did a search of the agency and haven't found any particularly reassuring information. The Publishers Marketplace listing is here (http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/KristaGoering/), but none of the leading clients seem to have sales for those listed books. Could be that the agency is new.

Strangely, I know I've seen that agent's website before, but I didn't find a listing in the B&BC Index.

Birol
08-08-2007, 05:54 AM
i looked up coyote wild.. they do fiction and a little poetry...
my story is a true story.

I'm not certain what you're saying... Are you saying you'd like to submit to us? We do publish non-fiction, too, but everything we publish is related to speculative fiction... We define speculative fiction as an umbrella term for horror, fantasy, science fiction, magical realism, etc.

Or are you questioning that since I'm with Coyote Wild, my comments may not be valid or apply to your situation? If so, that's fine. It's just an opinion. You'll get lots of those here. It's up to you to determine whose opinion or experiences you should choose to follow and it's good that you're questioning people's credentials, their ability and their knowledge to answer your questions.

maestrowork
08-08-2007, 06:11 AM
Like Birol said, you will have to find a way to get over your fear of rejection and get a thick skin, especially if this is a true story about yourself (memoir) because people will tear it apart, like it or not: readers, reviewers, people who are looking to buy your book. Rejections and criticism are part of being a writer. And if you think self-publishing the book is going to save you from rejections, then you may face some rude awakening in the future. Of course, there may very well be a good niche market for your book, as it's non-fiction. But you will have to do a lot of selling yourself (it's hard to get into book stores with self-pub books). It is definitely not "easier."

I'm curious, how did you get 1500 interested in buying your book? Which group did you talk to?

veinglory
08-08-2007, 06:26 AM
We have a great forum for life story writers here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

And a critique area for non-fiction here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

brenda c
08-08-2007, 07:06 AM
I'm not certain what you're saying... Are you saying you'd like to submit to us? We do publish non-fiction, too, but everything we publish is related to speculative fiction... We define speculative fiction as an umbrella term for horror, fantasy, science fiction, magical realism, etc.

Or are you questioning that since I'm with Coyote Wild, my comments may not be valid or apply to your situation? If so, that's fine. It's just an opinion. You'll get lots of those here. It's up to you to determine whose opinion or experiences you should choose to follow and it's good that you're questioning people's credentials, their ability and their knowledge to answer your questions.
NO,NO not at all i'm not trying to invalidate you at all... I only thought that they wouldn't want to read my work because they spoke of fantasy and science fiction, Although i don't know a whole lot, i did heed to submit to agencys that publish appropriate to what one writes. so i didn't want to try to submit my work to if the specialty was nfantasy and mine was a true story. i apologize for it being mistaken any other way. i would appreciate it if they would.

Birol
08-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Oh, Coyote's not an agency or a book publisher. We're just an online magazine, an e-zine. Most of the stuff we publish is 10,000 words or less.

brenda c
08-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Like Birol said, you will have to find a way to get over your fear of rejection and get a thick skin, especially if this is a true story about yourself (memoir) because people will tear it apart, like it or not: readers, reviewers, people who are looking to buy your book. Rejections and criticism are part of being a writer. And if you think self-publishing the book is going to save you from rejections, then you may face some rude awakening in the future. Of course, their may very well be a good niche market for your book, as it's non-fiction. But you will have to do a lot of selling yourself (it's hard to get into book stores with self-pub books). It is definitely not "easier."

I'm curious, how did you get 1500 interested in buying your book? Which group did you talk to?
Hi thank you for your response. And i do apologize for my mispelled and chat abbreviations reguarding deadly accurate. i have that many as i said earlier as i am a nurse, and have been for 28 years, in that time and with my skills, i have come in contact with a lot of people.you get to know doctors, other nurses,lpns, cnas, people who work in the labs.i have been around a lonnnnnnnng time.And i worked at large, well known hospitals. have had down time for a year due to a new diagnosis of diabetes and now glaucoma.

Dawno
08-08-2007, 07:47 AM
brenda, you've gotten some really good advice here. I can only add that doing your research (and we've got a lot of good threads in our forums) is essential. Read the Ask the Agent threads, the Bewares and Background Checks threads. Study what other memoir writers and non-fiction writers are saying in the Life Stories and Non-fiction forums.

As for Coyote Wild, it's a fine e-zine for short speculative fiction stories and non-fiction essays about spec. fic., but they aren't the right market for you.

CaoPaux
08-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I did a search of the agency and haven't found any particularly reassuring information. The Publishers Marketplace listing is here (http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/KristaGoering/), but none of the leading clients seem to have sales for those listed books. Could be that the agency is new.

Strangely, I know I've seen that agent's website before, but I didn't find a listing in the B&BC Index.A month or so ago, a newbie arrived to announce he finally got an agent, and would we please sign up for his "how I got an agent" ebook. Ring any bells...?

DeadlyAccurate
08-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Aha! Yes, I do indeed remember that.

Birol
08-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Link please?

Bubastes
08-08-2007, 08:18 PM
This does not look good. Krista Goering is also an attorney, a real estate investor, and a writer (how-to-get-rich-from-home, how-to-get-rich-in-real-estate, celebrity relationships, etc.). Looks like that being a literary agent is just another way for her to try to "make money in her sleep." She doesn't sound legit.

http://www.foreclosures-now.info/

http://www.wealtheducationcentral.com/articles/4321/1/Multiple-Streams-of-Income-Does-Your-Online-Business-Make-Money-While-You-Sleep/Page1.html

http://www.highprofilearticles.com/authordetail.php?autid=996&script=browse

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/10/prweb444415.htm

http://guruarticles.net/internet-marketing/adsense/real-estate-investing--having-pre-paid-legal-services-makes-life-easier-for-an-investor.html?PHPSESSID=b543031b2e16336fc5085ee972 46f6cf

DeadlyAccurate
08-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Link please?

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68655 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68655&highlight=Orcutt)
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68635 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68635&highlight=Orcutt)

Bubastes
08-08-2007, 08:31 PM
A month or so ago, a newbie arrived to announce he finally got an agent, and would we please sign up for his "how I got an agent" ebook. Ring any bells...?

Yep, it's the same "agent"!

Lauri B
08-09-2007, 02:18 AM

Strangely, I know I've seen that agent's website before, but I didn't find a listing in the B&BC Index.

I know who this agent is--she's the agent of the guy who wanted everyone to download his free ebook about how to get an agent, but only if people joined his fan list. And when someone looked up the agency, she also has a couple of other strange, web-based businesses. I wouldn't recommend going with this agent; she has never worked in publishing, she knows nothing about it, and she hasn't sold anything to anyone (that she has announced, anyway).

brenda c
08-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks. I guess members of the roundtable kept me from making a mistake.

Birol
08-09-2007, 08:06 AM
You might want to peruse the Bewares and Background Check (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22) forum a little bit, too, Brenda. You'll pick up lots of pointers there about who to avoid and what to look out for.

corcutt
08-11-2007, 04:45 AM
This is probably a waste of time since some of the people on this board seem to have made up their minds based on speculation without facts, but I'm going to give it a try.

I am Chris Orcutt, and yes, as NOMAD so cleverly pointed out, I am "that guy" who wrote an ebook about getting an agent. (By the way, I have received nothing but compliments back from writers who requested the ebook (http://www.orcutt.net/weblog/2007/06/the_killer_query_letter_chris.html). Thanks for mentioning it again!)

I'm seeing a disturbing trend starting here about the agent I recently signed with--Krista Goering (http://www.kristagoering.com)--and some writers' willingness to malign her on the basis of hearsay. Allow me to defend the absent--my agent--because she deserves it.

Over a year ago, I wrote a PI novel and began the querying process for it. It was read by over a dozen agents, including ones at Curtis Brown and William Morris. I was offered representation by four agents in total, and after meeting with or speaking with all of them, I chose Krista Goering.

One of the agents had a good deal of experience with mysteries, but she seemed preoccupied with other clients and simply wanted to add another author to her roster. In other words, I sensed I wasn't going to get much attention.

A second agent, who is mentioned elsewhere on this board, was peripherally linked to the EditInk scam of a few years ago. Also, I spoke to a writer who used to be represented by her and found out that he never met her. In general, everything about her was shady.

The third agent was a junior-level agent at one of the more prestigious houses, but he had no experience with mysteries and didn't strike me as a particularly good salesman. Simply put, I doubted his ability and clout to sell my book.

Finally there was Krista. She loved my book. She was mature and decisive. She was attentive to my emails and phone calls. When we met before BEA back in May/June, I found her extremely personable, professional and persuasive. She was up-front about her lack of experience and how getting into agenting was a new endeavor for her.

She didn't pressure me to sign with her immediately; in fact, I was able to weigh all of my options and send her the signed contract a month later.

That's another thing: since she is a lawyer, the contract was crystal-clear and fair to both parties. My father-in-law, a trial attorney, looked it over and found no problems with it. Nowhere does she ask for a fee; IN FACT, when I inquired about expenses, she replied that she considered those the cost of doing business and therefore would take them out of her 15%. No matter what, she ONLY gets paid if she sells the book. I couldn't believe it because most agencies take their expenses off the top, THEN take their 15% of the remainder.

Since taking on my novel, she has submitted it to several houses and received personal notes back from a few, including an imprint at Harcourt. At my request, she has shielded me from rejections, unless--as I requested--she believes the rejection has merit and can help me make the book better.

Yes, she is brand-new to agenting, and yes, she has other businesses and hobbies. (You don't?) Until she gets some books under her belt, she does need to make a living. Time will tell if her other dealings have a negative impact on her ability to sell my book, but that's my problem. However, having met her, I know this--she is dedicated, professional and honest, and she hasn't taken up this work on a whim or as a way for a "quick buck". Anybody who knows ANYTHING about publishing will tell you that this is FAR from a quick-buck profession.

If you queried her and were rejected, I'm sorry. Even though she's new to agenting, I know she is trying to be very selective about the work she represents so she can develop a reputation among editors for quality. If she recommended a professional editor, instead of carping about it, why not look into hiring a professional editor? Here's one I happen to know, who worked with me on a book years ago: Amy Holman (http://www.amyholman.com/). Amy is no relation to me, nor is she a friend. She's just a great creative writing teacher and editor based in New York, and if you contracted her services, she might also be able to recommend some agents and editors to query.

As far as I know, Krista Goering is an honest, competent woman who hasn't done a THING to merit any insinuations of shadiness or humbug, so don't judge until you have direct experience with her. Give her a chance, would you? We writers complain that the agent business--and publishing in general--is so insular, that there's no way to break in because everyone knows everyone, and THEN, when some new blood DOES try to get into the field and open up doors for writers, we spit on them. Keep an open mind.

And for the rumor-mongers on this and other boards--get a life. Better yet, why don't you go back to your computers and do the heavy lifting--writing something worth publishing? I think you'll find that it's not as easy as it might seem.

Finally, to anybody who would bear false witness against others, be thankful that we don't live in the days of the Old West, when you could be called out on your surliness and shot for it.

Respectfully,

Chris Orcutt (http://www.orcutt.net)

Birol
08-11-2007, 05:36 AM
My father-in-law, a trial attorney, looked it over and found no problems with it.

Trial attorneys and contract attorneys are different things with different areas of expertise. It may or may not be a good contract, but being a trial attorney does not guarantee the necessary expertise to insure that it is.

Since taking on my novel, she has submitted it to several houses and received personal notes back from a few, including an imprint at Harcourt.

You could have done this.

Yes, she is brand-new to agenting, and yes, she has other businesses and hobbies. (You don't?) Until she gets some books under her belt, she does need to make a living. Time will tell if her other dealings have a negative impact on her ability to sell my book, but that's my problem.

The business of an agent is to open doors for the writer and to negotiate deals. If she doesn't have the necessary connections and expertise, then her ability to act as an agent is questionable.

It may be your problem now if she can't, but why should it be any other writers?

If you queried her and were rejected, I'm sorry. Even though she's new to agenting, I know she is trying to be very selective about the work she represents so she can develop a reputation among editors for quality.

Just because someone points out problems with an agent's track record, or lack thereof, or other practices, it does not mean that they have been rejected by that agent. Nice attempt at insinuating those pointing out potential problems are just experiencing so-called sour grapes, though.

And for the rumor-mongers on this and other boards--get a life.

Insulting people who have different experiences or opinions than your own is not the best way to sway people to your point of view.

Better yet, why don't you go back to your computers and do the heavy lifting--writing something worth publishing? I think you'll find that it's not as easy as it might seem.

Quite a few of our members are professional writers and editors. Know your audience before casting aspersions.

Finally, to anybody who would bear false witness against others, be thankful that we don't live in the days of the Old West, when you could be called out on your surliness and shot for it.

It's only false witness if they are witnessing and it is false. Providing information or different opinions is neither. Again, nice attempt at insinuating that anyone with a different belief or perspective than your own is not telling the truth.

corcutt
08-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Trial attorneys and contract attorneys are different things with different areas of expertise. It may or may not be a good contract, but being a trial attorney does not guarantee the necessary expertise to insure that it is.

Yes, you're right. But the fact that he possesses a Doctor of Jurisprudence and has over 40 years' experience in the law is as close to a "guarantee" as I'm likely to get.

By the way, if you want to get into hair-splitting, read Ayer's LANGUAGE, TRUTH AND LOGIC first. Then we'll talk.

It may be your problem now if she can't, but why should it be any other writers?

You forgot an apostrophe above.

It's only false witness if they are witnessing and it is false.

Sounds like somebody needs to look up what it means to bear false witness.

Lauri B
08-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Chris,
I have written 11 books, all of which have been sold to mainstream publishers. I currently make my living as a writer. I have also worked in publishing for many years, and feel pretty confident that I know aspects of the industry quite well. I can't in good conscience recommend an agent who has never worked in publishing, never worked as an agent, and has absolutely no idea how the industry works as a good choice for anyone. If you are happy with your agent, then great--it's working for you. But the OP asked for advice, and I gave it, based on my experience in the field. There's no need to get defensive.
Regarding my earlier post--I didn't disparage you. Aren't you the guy who wrote an ebook about how to find an agent and offered it to people who signed on to your fan list? What's mean about that?
I hope your agent sells your book to a great publisher and makes you rich; it would be a pleasure to be able to say I was wrong. Good luck!

Krista Goering
08-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I heard through the grapevine that I was the subject of the conversation, so I thought Iíd drop by and say hello. Besides being the newest literary agent on the block, I am indeed an attorney, a real estate investor and a relationship reader.

A couple of years ago I wrote some articles on buying foreclosures and they became very popular and many people added them to their real estate websites. Iíve been told that about 100 people have posted my articles on their websites. Iím also active as a real estate investor and would be an excellent agent for any person who wants to write a book on real estate investing or foreclosures. Or any legal subject for that matter.

Besides being a left-brained logical thinking attorney, I also have an active intuitive right brain. Last year I thought it would be fun to promote my hobby of doing relationship readings. You see, I can tell a lot about a person and their relationships just from knowing what their birthday is. I sent out a press release and posted some articles on a blog, but I had so much email, I found it too time-consuming to continue, so I pulled the plug.

So whatís a person like me doing with a literary agency? A while back I took a hiatus from being a practicing attorney when I learned my mother had cancer. After she passed away, I wanted to do something different. When an acquaintance pointed out that I would be an excellent literary agent with my expertise in negotiating contracts and background in publishing (Iíve been in and out of publishing since 1975 as a freelance writer, translator, publisher and editor) Ė I decided to look into it.

I talked to people in the business and read everything I could find that is pertinent to starting a literary agency. I was told that most agents have a client base of 25-30 writers and break even after about 5 years. So I invested my nest egg and designed a 5-year business plan.

I listed my new agency on Publisherís Marketplace and began to read the solicited and unsolicited manuscripts that came over the transom. Nowadays an agent is the reader of the slush pile. As time permits I give feedback to authors and tell them my reaction to reading their ms.

I decided from the get-go that I would offer to represent work that I like, even if it seemed like a long shot. But the reality is, I donít make any money until I make a sale, so the second criteria is that I have to believe the work has some marketability.

Having only started my agency a few months ago, I am pleased with my progress so far. I have signed several authors and am working with several others to get their manuscript into shape so I can represent them, too. New York publishers are considering all of the manuscripts I have sent to them.

If you would like me to consider representing your work, please send me your query or your sample pages through my website. Sending an email is also OK, but my spam filter tends to snag new emails that donít come through my website.

caseyrobert
12-16-2009, 04:21 AM
this is in regarding to the Krista Goering Literary angency out of Kansas.
I had the opportunity to meet her in Los Anfgles at the BEA 2 years ago.

We have since taken on 3 of her projects. She is one of only 4 agents we work with as off this date. Our interview process for agents is tedious to say the least.

Coming our this summer is Doc Be Nimble, by a california emergency room doctor.
(Wish I could spell better (LOL)).

Anyway, of the 7 projects she has submitted, I found all were of high quality, and 3 so far have fit what we were looking for at the time.

She is new to the field, but we all have to start somewhere.

As a publisher I don't recomend agents, but she is somebody who can submit to us without asking ahead. We don't give out tht priveledge lightly.

AryaT92
12-16-2009, 07:07 AM
As a publisher I don't recomend agents, but she is somebody who can submit to us without asking ahead. We don't give out tht priveledge lightly.

I don't mean to sound insulting but when validating someone you should really do your best to spell words correctly, "priveledge"?

What publishing company do you work with?

This all seems very shady to me.

Eirin
12-16-2009, 03:42 PM
this is in regarding to the Krista Goering Literary angency out of Kansas.
I had the opportunity to meet her in Los Anfgles at the BEA 2 years ago.

We have since taken on 3 of her projects. She is one of only 4 agents we work with as off this date. Our interview process for agents is tedious to say the least.

Coming our this summer is Doc Be Nimble, by a california emergency room doctor.
(Wish I could spell better (LOL)).

Anyway, of the 7 projects she has submitted, I found all were of high quality, and 3 so far have fit what we were looking for at the time.

She is new to the field, but we all have to start somewhere.

My word, you do get around (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4375519&postcount=48), don't you. Is it too much to ask you to vary the wording in your enthusiastic validations a bit? Otherwise it merely looks like unimaginative sockpuppeteering, y'see.

Surely that's not what you're doing? Is it?

AryaT92
12-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Wow, that's hilarious..

AussieBilly
12-22-2009, 07:27 AM
I don't wish to pee on anyone's parade ... after all this site is too good a value to speak negatively, don't you agree?

BUT ... c'mon folks ... get real. Who cares if someone misspells a word now and again? Maybe not everyone knows the secret of how to use the spellcheck feature. And really, "looks like unimaginative sockpuppeteering" ? Now there's a word-picture I like. May I use it sometime?

My point is, while searching for info on a certain agent I come away unfulfilled. There are, in my view, far too many nitpicking, nonsensical comments about things that have nothing to do with the main topic of the thread. Of course that’s only my thought.

Have a happy holiday, be safe, warm and for heavens sake: Keep writing!

Thrillride
12-22-2009, 08:28 PM
My word, you do get around (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4375519&postcount=48), don't you. Is it too much to ask you to vary the wording in your enthusiastic validations a bit? Otherwise it merely looks like unimaginative sockpuppeteering, y'see.

Surely that's not what you're doing? Is it?

Bwahahaha...almost spit my tea all over the monitor! Good catch, Eirin.
I normally don't get into the forum games - it never really goes anywhere useful. However, honestly this wing-man deserved it. That link is priceless.

Eirin
12-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh, it gets even better (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4376829&postcount=58).

Thrillride
12-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh, it gets even better (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4376829&postcount=58).

LOLOLOL...I mean, seriously what gives? I'm trying to figure out the point of taking the time to do this...geezz. I hope they explain themselves - it has to be good.

DerekJager
01-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Very entertaining!

It's like when you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one who barks loudest was the one you hit.

One thing Chris Orcutt posted:
--

One of the agents had a good deal of experience with mysteries, but she seemed preoccupied with other clients and simply wanted to add another author to her roster. In other words, I sensed I wasn't going to get much attention.
---

Personally, why would an agent sign you if he/she seemed "too preoccupied" at the get go? "Adding an author" to the roster doesn't bring in any money unle$$ the book $ells, so just to sign someone to say, "Oh, goodie, I got another name on my list" isn't how agents work--how they make money.

Anyway, Chris, I'm not trying to pile on. I think a lot of questions were raised and the back and forth--if it's legit--can only help everyone involved.

Good luck with all your projects!

veinglory
01-07-2010, 08:14 PM
We care whether an agent has the ability to sell books. Everything else is beer and tinsel. Has she sold a book yet? It's been a couple of years now.

Miss Plum
07-02-2010, 02:45 AM
Krista shows 29 sales in fiction and non-fiction from December 2009 until now at Publishers Marketplace. Has anyone's opinion of her changed?

CaoPaux
07-02-2010, 06:39 AM
A question better asked in the BR&BC thread for Ms. Goering: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75750

Miss Plum
07-02-2010, 09:34 AM
A question better asked in the BR&BC thread for Ms. Goering: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75750
Ha! That's where I thought I was. On my way . . .