What religion are you, really - a quiz

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

This is a personality test of your religious and spiritual beliefs.

There are no right or wrong answers. No belief system is considered better or worse than another. Nothing is being judged here.

Answer twenty questions about your personal beliefs, then see which religions or belief systems are most in accord with your innermost convictions.

You may be surprised at the results. :)

Reaction score
Even within the first couple of questions, there were...shall we say, difficulties in answering? Whoever devised this quiz seemed to ask, A, B or C? And there was little room for other beliefs. Sure, there's a 'other' answer, but I didn't want to go through the whole quiz answering other, other, other all the time. So it was difficult for me to complete the quiz.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well, I got what I expected: Mainline conservative Christian/Protestant. On the other hand, #2 on my list was Orthodox Quaker.

I have to agree with Scarlet, though, this quiz is not brilliant. You could tell what each answer was "aiming" for, and it was all very cookie cutter. I had trouble with some where I was "in between" or didn't care.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first two questions presuppose that one already subscribes to a religious construct.

I try to enjoy surveys, but I always end up feeling like I have to compromise to fit into one of the pigeonholes.

Still, I hope others have fun with the survey.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's more for entertainment than scientific, and could not reasonably cover the many possibilities for each answer without making the quiz ridiculously long.

The Results page says this:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] The top score on the list below represents the faith that Belief-O-Matic, in its less than infinite wisdom, thinks most closely matches your beliefs. However, even a score of 100% does not mean that your views are all shared by this faith, or vice versa.

Belief-O-Matic then lists another 26 faiths in order of how much they have in common with your professed beliefs. The higher a faith appears on this list, the more closely it aligns with your thinking.

But, to me, it's an interesting diversion. I'll take my fun where I can find it. :)
Enjoy.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Well, I got what I expected: Mainline conservative Christian/Protestant. On the other hand, #2 on my list was Orthodox Quaker.

I have to agree with Scarlet, though, this quiz is not brilliant. You could tell what each answer was "aiming" for, and it was all very cookie cutter. I had trouble with some where I was "in between" or didn't care.

Ditto, that's exactly what I got, too. It wasn't what I thought it was going to say...This quiz is too Christian biased I think, not that there's anything wrong with Christians!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The quiz is totally Christian biased.

I like the part where they said they weren't responsible for your soul.

I'm a Christian who loves everybody just like God does.

Last edited:

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing I said supported any creed, religion or belief but it assigned a bunch.
1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Secular Humanism (98%)
3. Theravada Buddhism (90%)
4. Nontheist (83%)
5. Liberal Quakers (78%)
6. Neo-Pagan (61%)
7. Taoism (58%)
8. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (56%)
9. New Age (42%)
10. Mahayana Buddhism (41%)
11. Reform Judaism (39%)
12. Orthodox Quaker (36%)
13. Bahá'í Faith (27%)
14. Jainism (27%)
15. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (25%)
16. Sikhism (25%)
17. Scientology (24%)
18. Seventh Day Adventist (23%)
19. New Thought (21%)
20. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (19%)
21. Hinduism (16%)
22. Eastern Orthodox (15%)
23. Islam (15%)
24. Orthodox Judaism (15%)
25. Roman Catholic (15%)
26. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (14%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (0%)

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Mine came back basically accurate, although I thought some of the questions seemed political. They also grouped different things together in the same sentence. Still, very interesting!

Jacob

Registered
Reaction score
Wait I dont get it ,according to belief- o -matic. I am 100 precent Christian and 50 percent non Theist... and 45 percent Secular Humanist. Hmmm.... well Im thinking of starting a new religion wich somehows ties all these categories together and wraps them tightly in a coherent doctrine wich cannot be proved wrong by any measure of intellect or rational thought because I am modern man who no longer obeys primitive laws of non contradiction. I shall call it Jacobism.
Anyone want to join? 10 dollar fee required .................................plus tax. :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Hmm, 100% Unitarian, 98% Liberal Quaker...lowest on the list 30% Roman Catholic. I was raised Roman Catholic. :roll: I've been an egg-nog-stick for the last 11 years, and was pretty much atheist from 5th-8th grade :p

What does it say about my intelligence level that I sat here for a full minute trying to figure out what an "egg-nog-stick" was?

Gah, I am SO bad with wordplay.

ETA: I also spend like 10 minutes trying to decipher every post made by davids.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Wait I dont get it ,according to belief- o -matic. I am 100 precent Christian and 50 percent non Theist... and 45 percent Secular Humanist. Hmmm.... well Im thinking of starting a new religion wich somehows ties all these categories together and wraps them tightly in a coherent doctrine wich cannot be proved wrong by any measure of intellect or rational thought because I am modern man who no longer obeys primitive laws of non contradiction. I shall call it Jacobism.
Anyone want to join? 10 dollar fee required .................................plus tax. :)

After I'm in do I have to give you all my worldy possesions? :tongue

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
It said I am:
Orthodox Quaker 100%
Mainline to Conservative Christian Protestant 90%
Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestant 90%

I was raised Evangelical christian and later when I was in college got more conservative or at least away from the speaking in tongues and laying on of hands.

One of the questions I couldn't even answer because my answer wasn't there. Salvation is a free gift that we accept and that there is nothing we can do to earn it. We don't have to follow a bunch of strict guidelines and rituals either. So I just left it blank.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I got Mahayana Buddhism 100%.
Bottom was Catholicism, 14%

Both are wrong. It was a pity to see "Hinduism" as only one entry - Hinduism has several thousands of paths and I identify most strongly with Advaita Vedanta, which is not mentioned but is similar to Mahayana Buddhism.

Roman Catholic, bottom? Funny!
Actually, I quite like Catholicism, even if I don't "agree" with their teachings. For me religion was never exclusionary.
The religion that I identify with least is Islam, which in the quiz results was near the bottom but not as low as it should be. Oh, and Scientology which should not be on that list at all IMO.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Ditto, that's exactly what I got, too. It wasn't what I thought it was going to say...This quiz is too Christian biased I think, not that there's anything wrong with Christians!

I wouldn't agree that it's Christian based. They had some questions that surprised me for their very non-Christianness.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, to be honest one look at the first two questions and I was out. Impersonal ultimate realities, incorporeal spirits, countless incarnations... definitely not designed for the theologically challenged such as myself.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
According to this, I'm Unitarian Universalist or a Neo-Pagan.

Both sound fine. Reform Judaism, my "official" religion, matched me 69%, so that's not so bad.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
According to this, I'm Unitarian Universalist or a Neo-Pagan.

Those two are the ones I got last time I took the quiz; but I think Neo-Pagan was first. I don't like that label at all! (I don't like any labels but I guess we need labels in this world.)

I don't have an "official" religion. My family was of Christian stock but my parents were atheist.