Dinner with my Agent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Fellow Writers,

I've reached a milestone. My agent has invited me to dinner to officially celebrate my deal. Wohooo! Now I need your advice. What should I talk about? Any dos and don'ts? You may think this is elementary - but my Dear Watson - I am not the saavy type.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Barbari!

Congrats on your accomplishments as well!
With me, it feels so surreal. This is an agent who seemed so unattainable, and now he's mine, all mine...muhwawwwhwaaa (love that laugh, whoever created it here). Anyway, since we'll be dining alone, I'm gonna feel awkward - I just know it! But I do have social skills, so i guess I'll manage. :)

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Ms. Star, agents, as a rule are cool conversationlists. Most are able to draw out any shy person. Relax and enjoy your dinner. Keep us updated. :)

Barbarique, good for you! :)

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Just poking my head in. My agent had to postpone due to family matters. We're planning for next week. I'll certainly give you the minor details. :)

Kaytie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaytie.net
Ask him what he has read lately that he loved, but be prepared--he'll ask you the same question. Usually I can talk about books no matter what but when I met my agent and he asked me what I'd read recently, I couldn't think of a single title. So embarrassing, especially as I read one or two novels a week! :)

Seriously, though, have fun!

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
This is just what I'd do:

1) Don't eat anything super-messy.

2) Don't drink more than a single glass of wine or cocktail.

3) Treat the occasion as you would any other out-of-work socializing with a professional colleague -- be sincere and cordial, but more reserved than you would be with your friends.

4) Listen at least as much as you talk, preferably more, and let the agent guide the conversation at first.

5) Have fun!

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! keep 'em coming. Limiting alcohol intake - marvelous idea! Hiccup.

Do all agents take out their clients to celebrate a book deal? Just wondering because my agent had to slap my wrist when I told him I couldn't wait to treat him for all the hard work he's done. My agency is fairly large so I'm not surprised they have the budget. Just wondering if an agent has to have a rapport with you before he decides to meet you in the flesh.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Hahahaa, that's funny Barbie. But I feel so used.:D

p.s. Do you know if agents get paid by their agency? Or do they have to pay just to use the office space? Just curious...and nosy.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, your name is hard to spell, so I shortened it. Any other nicknames I can give ya?

About "I feel used" - I'm kidding! I LOVE my agent and appreciate his offer. Just wondering if I should feel special, or is this standard practice - in other words, a requirement for agents to take out their authors once they land the deal.

About "factory setting." NOPE! Oddly enough, I've gotten the most personal attention from my agent I could have ever hoped for. In fact, when he introduced me to my new editor via three-way email, I almost felt like a little child being dropped off on her first day of school. He took CARE of me, and I don't know how he does it - responds to emails within minutes - and I'm not even a top dog yet. I feel so blessed. :)

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Barb works for me! Thanks for understanding. Shall we toast to our exciting publication journey? Er um...are you buying the bottle, or do I have to? ;)

Very sweet what you said about me being deserving. Right backatcha, Babe...ooops, I mean Barb, and I'm signing off! Have a great weekend.

:partyguy:

Last edited:

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Dinner Was Great

Greetings to all!

It finally happened. I had the pleasure of having dinner with my agent AND editor. We talked mostly about my book, and I think I over did my enthusiasm for my work, (bringing up the kids and myspace users who loved my first chapter) but other than that, it went well. They're both sweet and so HUMANLY HUMAN. See, when I couldn't get my foot in the publishing door, I used to think editors and agents were so untouchable. But yesterday, I was able to give both a big ole "thank you" hug. :)

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Barb! You're the best. Same to ya!
*still comtemplating whether to foot the alchohol tab.* hmmm ;)

Last edited:

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome Star! Awesome for you and the others here who've been able to dine with their book's main advocates. That's just awesome, thanks for sharing this thread, I somehow have to wonder if that will happen for me becaue I won't fly anywhere or GO anywhere, I can't because my family needs me here you know? But who knows? Maybe they would fly out here and meet me, maybe not too, but this is all assuming I get the joy of feeling what you've shared here Star, thank you for giving me hope. :)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
And this is why I am a staunch defender of agents as people. Because, you know, they are . . .people. My agent is always there for me, always ready for a pep talk or just a good gossip. And my friend's agent (who invited me to come along for lunch with them while we were in NY simply because . . . well I don't know, just 'cause she's nice) is her biggest supporter and is always pushing her stuff.

A while ago, a way while ago, there was this debate here that was basically about how agents shouldn't have to love the work they represent as it is just a business after all. And I tried to explain over and over that actually that is exactly what they have to do, they have to love the work in order to represent it. The other person refused to believe me. Ah well, I have enough proof of the matter of the passion agents feel for their clients. It's really wonderful.

So congrats Star again, and yay to dinners with agents, sound like it went brilliantly well!

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Pamster, you're welcome for the inspiration. Glad to give ya some, because goodness knows, I needed some not too long ago.

Toothpaste, you make me smile...a bright white smile at that. Many congrats on your success too. I'm so glad I found this place. Sniffle.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean Star, I am happy I found this place too. It's really special here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.