Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conny1109

Registered
Reaction score
I had a look around where to start this topic and the roundtable seems the best place to do it. It's where people talk about writing, so maybe this post will be suitable.

Basically I want to ask fellow writers why people find it necessary to hurt others? I know, it's a question nobody really has an answer for, but let me share with you what happened to me today.

A little background info first ...
I wrote a book (haven't we all), published it with a POD company and hoped for the best.
Since I wanted to share this story with my family I translated the book (477 pages) into Flemish as my family lives in Belgium and doesn't speak nor read English. It was a project that took me several weeks.
When it was finished I send the translated version to my family and they were very enthusiastic about it. So enthusiastic in fact that they pitched the manuscript to a publisher. He took a look at it, said it was good, but that it had too many spelling mistakes.
So I set to work on correcting those mistakes, then sent the manuscript back to my family to give it the once over and point out mistakes that I might have missed.

This morning my mother called. Said she was abandoning the project as she had still found mistakes in the manuscript and the grammar wasn't what it should be.
Well I could understand that. I've left Belgium some 20 years ago, I've mastered the English language and since I don't use Flemish at all (not even at home) my Flemish vocabulary has suffered somewhat.
But to abandon the project over that!

She seems to forget that I translated the story for her in the first place. Which was a big job. I corrected spelling mistakes, which was another big job. And now that I ask to perfect the story (where language use is concerned) she tell me no! This I thought was unreasonable, more so because my mother is of age and has nothing better to do. It's not like she's a career woman.

But that wasn't the only thing ...
When she asked me what I was up to these days, I told her I had just started a third novel, which is the sequel to my first (Waiting for Silverbird). Her reaction ... "Oh I'm not sure that that is such a good idea."
Those words and that attitude felt like a bucket of ice cold water.
Why couldn't she be excited? I am, I'm writing this story and I feel it's going well.
Why not give encouragement? Why do people find it necessary to pull someone down, rain on their parade?

I don't mind telling you, after this morning, I don't feel like writing anymore. It's bad enough that we have to battle literary agents and publishers while trying to get recognition, but to battle own family ...

How do you all feel about that?
Do you also get discourages or do you say 'To hell with them'.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Don't listen to her. My mother's like that. Always finds the negative in everything. Always a million reasons why something won't work. It's very discouraging. That's why I never discuss anything writing-related with her. I'm not thick-skinned enough to be able to stand it.

Do you have anyone else around you who is more supportive? You need to hang around them a lot. The difference that some positive encouragement can make is truly amazing. That's one of the great things about this forum.

It's so sad that you're doing this for your family and not getting the support back (from at least one of them). What about the rest of them? What are they like?

Or maybe you could get some help from someone who's totally unbiased about it. I don't know.

Hope this helps in some way.

Conny1109

Registered
Reaction score
In a way I find it 'nice' that you seem to have a mother like me ... unsupportive and full of criticism. At least I'm not the only one.
Do I have other family? Yes, I have my dad and an older brother.
My dad is very sweet and wouldn't deliberately hurt me, but I'm afraid he's not much of a reader. He reads the newspaper, cover to cover, but that's about it.
As for my brother ... he kind of looks down on me.

And no, there's nobody else Mandy-Jane, that I can discuss my writing with. It's one of the reasons I joined this forum.
I have my son of course, but, although he reads, he hardly unbiased.

I have been thinking about this all day and sort of reached the conclusion that it's no wonder I never amounted to anything.
For as long as I can remember I've heard my mother say (whenever I wanted to do something) "No, you'll never be able to" or "No, it will never last."

Just like you I never discuss my writing with my mother either Mandy-Jane, but there are times that I can't avoid her sharp words.
I keep thinking that she didn't intend to be mean, that she had good intentions, but right now I wish I could give her a piece of my mind.
Which I actually might do.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least now you've found your way here. And I'm pretty sure you'll find lots of people here who will give you encouragement when you need it, who'll tell you when something is crap but who will also suggest how to fix it, and who are just plain fun to be around.

Welcome to the boards. Poke around, have fun, join in.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
You know what? Don't ever say you've never amounted to anything. You have. But I do understand what you mean. And maybe this should make you more determined to go ahead and succeed in spite of her.

Something I just thought of, and have experienced myself - (yes, with my mother!) - you have to try to not be disappointed or upset or angry because people don't react to your efforts in the way you expected them to. Quick story to try and explain - my mother recently organised a family reunion for her side of the family. All her siblings have died and she's the only one left, so this was a huge deal for her - all her nieces and nephews and their kids, and of course us, her immediate family. On the day, I took my little video camera and got some footage of the day for her. Then I put it all onto a tape, set it to music, put a title on it; the whole thing, and gave it to her for her birthday. I was so excited, thinking that she would absolutely love it. Well on the day I gave it to her, she didn't even watch it. She said "I'll put it on later". So after that, every time I spoke to her, I kept waiting for her to mention it and say how much she enjoyed it. Nothing. Eventually I asked her about it. "Did you watch that video?" I said. "Yeah" she said. "It was alright." Alright! What! And then she said "It was a bit shaky." Shaky! What do you want? A cinema-quality movie? (Keep in mind I never said any of this to her.) You know what I mean. And then after I finally calmed down, I realised that I was holding her responsible for my feelings, and the way that I expected her to react. And it wasn't her fault that she didn't react the way I thought she would. Disappointing, but I guess in the end, we're only responsible for our own feelings, not someone else's. So if she's not supporting you, maybe you just have to accept that that's the way she is, and let her deal with that.

My mum has good intentions too, but I think she just has no idea.

Give her a piece of your mind if it makes you feel better, but remember, people don't forget stuff like that. And it could put your whole project at risk. Just my opinion.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Hey Conny,
I am sorry you're hurting. You certainly have a benchmark now of where not to look for support, eh?

When you hoped for the best with your POD, what were you envisioning would happening? I'm wondering what your understanding of the publishing world is? Are you expecting your book to be in bookstores?

At any rate, it's wonderful that you have completed a book and are enthused about another. Keep at it! Perseverance is key in this field.

(I do cringe reading your comment that your mother has nother better to do than work on your book. Unless someone is my employee or my child, I really don't get to direct their activities and decide how well spent their time is.)

Hang in there!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi Conny,

I'm guessing your mother means this to be "tough love," but it still stinks to be on the receiving end of it. Definitely look elsewhere for a critique.

I have to admit it's odd to me to see that a publisher said they were turning it down over spelling errors. If a manuscript is very good, that's the key point. Publishers hire copyeditors and proofreaders to fix errors. Is it possible they weren't being truthful with you, and that's the real reason your mom is jumping ship?

In any case, good for you for continuing to work on your craft and for taking it seriously even without family support. Hope you'll get some of the support you're looking for here.

Eeman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Conny, and congratulations on your successes.

Editing is a lot of hard work, and my guess is that your mother found that out when she started to seriously review your manuscript. A few spelling errors is one thing, but it sounds like there may also be a deeper language problem that is harder to fix.

If you are serious about this project, I recommend you hire a professional translator to review the translation. After that, have a professional Flemish proofreader look over the translation and make whatever corrections are needed.

It is easy for us to think our moms are free to help us out with important projects, but is it really fair for us to judge how they use their spare time? I don't say this to be hard on you. It's just something to think about.

Reaction score
I think the main reason people get overly-critical and bitter is because you're at least trying to make something of your life. You're arousing jealousy in other people.

And that, I think, shows you're on the right path. Only successful people, or those on their way to success, elicit such strong reactions in others.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I started cutting toxic people from my life years ago.

My mother was the first to go.

Here's a nice quote for you, though:

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

And a whole bunch more in case that one doesn't work:

http://www.quotegarden.com/confidence.html

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Book

It's your book, not your mother's. I doubt she's trying to hurt you, but, jeeze, aren't you big enough and old enough to handle your own writing without your mother getting involved?

The whole thing, start to finish, sounds highly presumptuous on your part. Why think they would want to read a POD book filled with errors? Why in the world try to get them to get the novel to a publisher?

And do you want people to tell you the truth, or do you want them to lie so little you won't have your feelings hurt?

Writing isn't supposed to be about your family. You're the one who is supposed to write a good book. One with no errors. Then you find a good agent, who then finds a good publisher, who publishes the book.

When and if this happens, then, and only then, do you send copies of the book to your family.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Notice I call it tough love. I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said. It's an opinion and a perspective and as legitimate as anything else said here, but it's a tad bit condescending to say to the OP
so little you {emphasis added} won't have your feelings hurt?

I just think there's ways to express the same opinion without being insulting and condescending.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I had a teacher once who said, "people will tell you all kinds of things. They'll tell you you're not good enough, they tell you you'll never be published, and that's just from your friends and family. You have to learn to ignore it."

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. If I had a nickel for every time someone looked down on me or made a negative prediction about me ...

... I would be a useless sot right now, traveling the world first class & always ordering room service.

Even my husband, sweet though he is, thinks this is just something to occupy my mind a little bit.

I don't tell anyone what I'm working on or what I'm doing anymore. If it is published & does well, my efforts will speak for themselves.

Why not get that book published in English & let the publishing house translate it?

-wee

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Man, I almost feel guilty for having a very supportive family. I think they believe in my novels more than I do half the time.

I'm sorry your family isn't backing you. But don't give up and don't let them make your decisions for you.

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
There's not much more that I can add to what the others have already said here so I will just encourage you to keep writing and follow your own heart. You always have support from all of us here!

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
A big part of the writing process is learning how to improve, even if the criticism you get doesn't TELL you how to improve. You have to read between the lines, and to do that, you can't let your feelings get hurt.

celeber

Insatiable Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
celeber.livejournal.com
There will always be people who respond negatively and hurt you. It is worse when the person is your mother.
Find your cheerleader is my meager advice. And know it is much easier to critisize and condemn than to celebrate and cheer you on.

brunoshouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jaandersonhouse.com
I'm glad you found this forum. I don't post too much, but I am a lurking fanatic. Please keep your chin up and keep following your dream. Just remember, you can pick your friends, but you can't choose your family. Life is short. I hope you can look past this, after all, you only have one mother.

Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.