Request for a full, hmm, worry...

Jack_Roberts

Scribe of my muse, Annabelle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
night-children.blogspot.com
I'm done with the 5th edits and now I'm submitting again.

I've got four email submissions out (two more back, instantly rejected), two more as snail mails and...

A full.

Not sure about this one though. Here's why and advice needed.

I was at the local fair and discovered an author signing her cook books. I asked who her agent was. She didn't have one but she gave me the name of a contact person for a small publisher here in Utah.

Cedar Fork Inc

I called the guy and talked of my book, my passion and the kids and betas who loved it. He's more than happy to look at the manuscript.
It's a small publisher, though.

As some of you might remember, I asked about jumping in with a small press.

Here's the link...

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44643&highlight=Shadow+Mountain

I'm still concerned. I've "only" been looking for a year and as you guys know, that’s small potatoes. Feels like forever. Still I hear about how authors start out with small publishers, then after a bit they sell to bigger ones. I believe JK and the Eragon writer both did this.

I want Annabelle everywhere, not just in Utah. It's for any young adult audience. Of course, it's not LDS and this small publisher seems to focus on LDS, so it'll probably be rejected. I did send in to Shadow Mountain last October. It was rejected.

I guess I still have fears that it wont get very far with a small timer and since I have no agent I will get shafted in the deal.

Yet I hear that it's easier to get an agent if you have a publisher already. Kind of like you've done their work for them. And I do need a foot in the door.

Look at me, putting the cart before the horse.

I put this in "Goals and Accomplishments" because it's kind of exciting to me that some one will be looking at the whole book. And this is the version where we begin in the thick of the main plot.

Wish me luck and if anyone has more advice on the good/bad of small publishers please let me know.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Scott!
I'm beginning to wonder if agents and editors are shying away from vampire books...because I'm not having much luck either.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Aim high.

If you can get a legitimate agent with a solid history of sales, take that route every time. You say that you've heard writers can get agents easier if they have a publisher; the problem with that is you're ruining your chances (for now) with a big publisher with this book even if you do get an agent. Second, you don't know if an agent is going to recognize the small publisher. Sometimes landing with a small publisher means very little in the larger world of publishing.

Once you've exhausted the agent route, then you can explore this small pub.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Jack_Roberts

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score

Because the book will have already been placed at the smaller publisher.

You might be able to get an agent, but the agent will be working on the assumption that s/he will sell future books.

There's nothing wrong with smaller publishers, of course. Some of them do very good work for what they are. But if you want mass distribution, then the agent route is really the only viable way to go. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even think about the smaller pub until you had queried at least 35/40 and heard back from them.

Jack_Roberts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
In the last year I've queried about 40 but I haven't heard from them all.

I don't want to blow my chances. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to ask them what thier distribution is.

Montage

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sydneywakefield.com
Blowing your chance

It's also my understanding that if you sub to a publishing house, then sign with an agent, that agent cannot approach that house again with the same property. So say you got your foot in the door somewhere, but got rejected, then your agent can't submit you to that same house once they're on board. Also, you might have trouble finding an agent if you've already submitted (and been rejected by) numerous publishing houses. It's a tricky balance.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
It's also my understanding that if you sub to a publishing house, then sign with an agent, that agent cannot approach that house again with the same property. So say you got your foot in the door somewhere, but got rejected, then your agent can't submit you to that same house once they're on board. Also, you might have trouble finding an agent if you've already submitted (and been rejected by) numerous publishing houses. It's a tricky balance.

Hmm. I have no experience with how it works in fiction, but in non-fiction, my agent was willing try to auction my book off to get a better deal, even though the publisher had already offered me a contract. In the end, I just had my agent negotiate with the publisher. I did find, however, that sending queries indicating I had a deal on the table and needed an agent to negotiate it for me got really quick positive responses from the agents I contacted.

Jack_Roberts

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Good advice. I'm going to stick with agents first.

I decided not to go with that small publisher. I never gave them the book to look at. It just didn't feel right.

Since then I've received two requests for fulls and then got one of those back as a rejection. They said it flowed "unnaturally". This repeats the rejection that said it was "stilted" and what my first beta said, "stuffy".
I realized that I hadn't found my "voice". After some time away in frustration I thought I found my voice but another recent beta has me questioning that.

Sigh.

So I'm still trying to relax it a bit. I feel like I'm going around in circles, acting on bad advice and remaining clueless about what I really should do.
Kids do love this book. Not just my kids, but kids whom I don't know. Children in both those 6th grade classes. I KNOW it can inspire and entertain people. It already has and that was the wrong versions.
But all the kids in the world can't convince one agent.

How will this ever happen? I think this belongs in Rejections now.

Sorry. I was just going to simply respond but you got me on a down day.

Sometimes I can taste it. Writer's House liked it. They LIKED Annabelle! If not for my stupid unnatural, stilted, stiff narration then maybe...

Everywhere you look, from Stephenie Meyers to "Young Dracula" on the BBC, from "Moonlight" on CBS to so many more vampire novels flying off the shelves, they're everywhere. Just try to carry a copy of "Twilight" on a plane. You'll get stopped by a few ladies and when you tell them Annabelle's basic story idea they all get thrilled.

Yet here I sit. Clueless. What works? WHY IS IT STILTED? I just wish I could have one professional writer, someone actually published who knows what doesn’t work, look at it and tell me WHY.

I feel like I'm crawling up a long, steep hill and I'm inches from the top, but I can't see it.

When Lord? When?

Sorry. I'll be quiet now.