Beginning of four to six long weeks.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
My daughter broke her collar bone, she's 22 months. She doesn't understand what happened, she only knows she hurts and she doesn't sleep because when she does, she moves and when she moves, it's agony. The Dr's say it will be 4-6 weeks before she's healed. In the meantime, I get to try to keep a toddler from being overactive.

Thanks anyone and everyone for reading this, I just needed to tell someone.
I'm sorry, I've been up all night with her at the ER. It just looks very unpleasant and I needed to vent.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! The poor wee lamb :(

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you and your family Sherrytex. My oldest is four and it is almost impossible to keep him still. He refuses to watch tv and just wants to run and play. I would hate to think what to do if he was in the same situation as your girl. You are all in for a tough time and the only advice I can offer is to develop a routine and quick. By that I mean figure out what is most comfortable activities to do and best times to play and sleep. You know what I mean. When my oldest was about the same age as your girl his mum went to Europe for five weeks. I was Mr Dad and I am so thankful that nothing went wrong and I learnt very early all about routine. Good luck.

JJ

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor little baby. And poor Mom! I have a 20-month-old. I know what you mean. Time to pull out the DVDs, if you have them. We also have a chair for Emmory that's her size; it's one of those fold up chairs with arms. They have them in different styles, like with animal faces on them. Maybe if you let her pick one of those out, she'd be more likely to sit longer.

Good luck, Sherry. And may God have mercy on you this next six weeks!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Poor baby! And poor mommy. I've got a few of those toddler-type people in the house, and I've just got two words of advice for you:

Duct Tape.

(kidding!)

Really, though, you're probably going to be back to infancy with her. You sleep when she sleeps.

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Poor baby! And poor mommy. I've got a few of those toddler-type people in the house, and I've just got two words of advice for you:

Duct Tape.

(kidding!)

Really, though, you're probably going to be back to infancy with her. You sleep when she sleeps.

and let the other seven run wild! Duct tape idea has merit...

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you!
My Mom broke her collar bone and she was miserable. Hers took forever to heal, but that is another story (related in a way, foreboding I guess to what I posted on SYW). I've heard that kids heal much much faster. I hope they have some good pain medication for you to give her. She'll probably choose to take it easy because too much activity will hurt... load up on the dvds, yummy snacks and kids books.

How did it happen?

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks everyone! The good news is being so young, she should heal accordng to the pediatric orthopedic doctor, in three weeks. In the mean time, tylenol and motrin coctails for kiddo, nightly glass of wine or special Sherry hot chocolate sauce on vanilla bean ice cream for me. Or on bad days, both. Which goes better with ice cream, red or white wine?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It probably was just bad luck, but there are some medical problems that predispose to fractures and the Orthopedist may or may not think to look for them in a child. You should probably talk to the pediatrician and ask if the mechanism of injury explains the fracture or if they should check some other stuff like urinary levels of calcium and phosphorus as well as others

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
You could try the Wallace and Grommet videos, my kids loved them at that age.

I still like them.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Oh poor baby and poor Mommy, too. I broke my collarbone about 10 years ago in a car wreck. It was terrible. I hope she heals quickly, and you are able to sleep.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
I bet she is sooo unhappy! Poor baby!
I hope you both come through this with the least possible trouble.