Worst Query EVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
You read it folks. Get the kinks out, time to get all those mistakes and bad sentences out in one, horrible, query letter.

Disclaimer: I got this idea from another website I'd been browsing, and thought it might be fun to do here, too. (I checked around, and I don't think there's already a thread on this, if there is, I beg pardon. I didn't think there was.)

Basically, :Trophy:to whoever can write the worst one. I thought it might be nice also, to highlight why you wouldn't do some of the things you put in your query (for some of the less outrageous things, so that if someone realizes they have that exact thing in their query, they can figure out why we're saying it belongs in the "worst-query" pile.)

K, I'm a little tired tonight, so mine's not super, but here it is:

To Whom it May Concern,

My name is Jilly Betts, and I'm writing 'cause I want you to be my agent. I'm a totally good writer (I've got loads of recommendations from family members and teachers...I even won a contest once in fifth grade).

So, my story is about this girl whose ten and she goes to live with her father after a really bad divorce and realizes that she's a fairy princess and there's this horrible betrayal thing that happens, and she learns this secret, and then the story ends with this marriage. (but it's totally not what you're thinking!)

You've got to read this, because I know someone will eventually pick it up and you'll regret not being this person. So go on, request it!

Love ya,
Jilly

Last edited:

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
MR AGENT:

Hey there secret agent :) I just thought you'd wanna read my book. It's almost done! I spent twelve years writing it (mostly after schole, but sometimes while I was babysitting for my paren'ts friends the Dobersons who live down the street from us. There kids are SOOOOO cute!) and my mom and the Dobersons both think it's better than Steven King and you know he sells alot of books. It's basicaly a story about Dave, who decides at forty that he's sick of his life and wants to change, so he divorces his wife and leaves that whore and his fucking brats to go drive cross country. Mayham insues!!! It's a really funny book set in 1988 from fall to slightly after fall. You will love it cuz you're forty too! I read your blog. That joke you posted on last friday was funny! My mom thought so too! I've put the book on here as an attachment cuz I know you are already wanting to read it so I saved you the trouble :D
Looking forward to working with you for the next 8 books in this series and not working at McDonalds anymore,
Lila Davis (age 20)

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Miss Query Agent:

I came across your email on some website. I hope I got the right address because I stopped paying my subscription, so I no longer have access to it. Anywho, back to this here thing. Shit. Where was i? Oh, ugh, yeh. You see. I got this memoirs in the works. I hate writin’ letters. do you want to represent me or not?

Yours Truly,
Ms. Fabulous Writer

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
And here's my contribution frm that thread (Can't be bothered to write a new one)

Dear Miss Agent,
Please present the enclosed manuscript to publishers. I am looking for a major publisher such as Tandem House. My book has 300000 words and it is an supernatural erotic thriller set in outerspace containing a conspiracy secret so great that will destroy the very basis of Western Civilisation, but highly literary in style, something like Ulysses meets Star Wars meets the Da Vinci Code.

The Vampire Princess Hoh-inarrah's whole world spirals out of control when she meets Pierre Beaulieu de Richelieu, a French Barron desceded from Louis XIV, whose inner demons have revealed to him the Secret of the Fourth Reich, by which the tiny city-state of Appenzell-von-Kleinmuendingen has catapulted Hitler's Third Molar in a golden casket, into space. The secret of this Casket can only be revealed, by desciphering a Code which can only be found by placing the King James Bible in an online translation service by which every fifth letter is elimenated and words are formed by placing the remaining letters in the cage of a Gorilla captured in the dungeons of Furzwangen-von-Zappelweiler. Through telepathy, Hitler's ghost then reveals the secret formula what will lead to the Molar and drag it down from the capsule that is circling in space. But first, Nasa headquarters must be overthrown and in a breakneck car-chase through the streets of pre-war war-devastated Warsaw, the President of the United States is assasinated by a villain worse, than your worst nightmare. As I mentioned above the style is highly literary. I have decided to write this book without the letter I, so as make it an enticing read for aficionados of literary puzzles.

As this book wil be in higfh demand from publishers and Movie studios I would prefer you to proceed with secret negotiations immediately, through a Literary Auction. I have chosen you because I see you represent Authors such as Phillip Roth and Ernest Hemingway.

My pen name is Princess Doctor Claudia Von Pieksieben-Hotzenpotz, my legal name is Mabel Dong. Checks should be made out to the latter.

Please only call me during regular office hours.

Mabel Dong

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This dings my bell, Dong. Soon as you reads this remove thse posts on AW instantly to keep the compositon out - screw Tandem - I is what you need. Offer on the way. PS what's your address?

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Steve,

I remember when you said you were a agent while we were at the gym. It's possible you weren't talking to me, since I was just getting changed behind you, and you were on your cell phone. (Your abs are looking great, by the way).

Since you're an agent, and we know each other, I'm submitting the first chapter of my unwritten novel, Bad Cliche to you. I started writing this two years ago, and never got past the first chapter because I didn't have it sold. I need it sold to motivate me to finish writing it. My mom told me that I was always a slacker when I was growing up, but if I'm signing with you, then that's not really slacking, is it?

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Future Agent,

My books RAWKS!!! LOL Buy it, or else.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Mr. or Mrs. or Whatever Agent:

IVE WRTTN A RLLY KEWL BOOK. ITS ABOUT SM ELVES & GNOMES & SHT & THEY RESQ A PRNCSS & THEY SAVE TEH WRLD & SHT. I RLLY THINK U WILL LIEK IT SO PUBLISH IT & SEND ME MY MONEY.

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
TO WHO IT MIGHT CONCERN:

My name is Grate Author, and I have just finished writing the first chapter of what will, ultimately, prove to the greatest book in the known universe; and in some other universes as well that have recently discovered (LOL :p).

The book is for now titled 'F*** You and F*** Your Mother,' but as long as the profanity remains the title, I am open to many suggestion. (The contents of the book is so shocking, and I want the title to provoke a big reaction when the reader sees it so they will look; "once they look; they will be hooked!" my mother liked to say - she died last year it prompted me to finish the chapter - the book is dedicaed to her memory and my cat Samson. "Say hi, Samson!" "Mrrow!" LOL)

Several friends and professionals and engligh teachers read the book and had this to say:

"This book will change the life of anyone who reads it!"

"The government doesn't want you to know things; you should buy this!" (This was my mailman - he is a decorated war veteran of five wars.)

"I thought it would be offensive and I was right!" (LOL - this was my best friend being sarcastic - I was all WTF, but she said, 'explain it its funny' - so yeah, it is, now that I think about it LOL.)

"It's so serious it shoudln't be so funny!"

See enclosed the original copy of the first chapter. When you finish please mail it back not to the address on the envelope but the secondary address on the back of the thrid page (I am living with my sister but I am moving in with my other fiernd in two weeks - so much going oon LOL!). I am poor so I don't have the money for copies so please send this back ASAP if you don't want it (But of course you will :p). There is also a link to my site below and to my Paypal (I am asking anyone who reads the book and likes it donate five dollars - its cheaper than it would be to buy it in a store; so if you enjoy it, pls donate - like I said I AM POOR LOL.) When I have enough donators,, I will write the second chapter (or if it sells and I get a BIG PAYCHECK - *hint where you come in hint*).

Thx!

-G.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Whoops, didn't mean to step on that other thread. Maybe I'll head on over and write another bad query for Soccer Mom's thread.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are some dandy's in that old thread. It brings a nostalgic tear to my eye.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Whoops, didn't mean to step on that other thread. Maybe I'll head on over and write another bad query for Soccer Mom's thread.

No, it's okay! I just wanted more people posting in this to see that one. Feel free to post over there, and take a look at it, because it's hilarious! If you like this stuff, you'll love that thread!

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
<Desperately fights the urge to timewaste . . .>

<Sighs and admits to self that she wasn't fighting all that hard.>

Deer Ms. Transparently Male Name,
Oh hai I upgraded yur bizness! LOL See I wroted a book that will make you lotz of $$$ it iz called MAGIC PONY PRINCESS DOES EVERYTHING RIGHT!!! My sister sayz it reminds her of an author called MARY SUE, so I use teh Goggle and iz MILLYUNZ of hitz! ROFL Mary Sue must be rilly famous only I don't know 'cause I don't read enny books Xept my own ROFL You website sayz you do not take kidz bookz but that iz where the reel $$$ iz I see that on TV with the j/k Rollings and she iz richer than THE QUEEN lmao so I knows you want my book. Well, u can reprezent it ROFLMAO but so noOone will steel it iz in my SEKRET SAFE DEPOZIT BOX and you have to com to my house to reed. Call me and we set up time, 'k?

kthxbai
Clueless Writer

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Yo.

Let's just get down to business.

YOU -- in need of a killer screenplay.

ME -- in need of a sale.

US -- perfect match!

Comprende?? GOOD!!!

I went ahead and just sent you the whole script (as you can obviously tell) with this letter. I expect you to read it no later than the fifteenth. So call me by the sixteenth. And we'll talk.

Toodles!

-Me

jurched

Registered
Reaction score
The Vampire Princess Hoh-inarrah's whole world spirals out of control when she meets Pierre Beaulieu de Richelieu, a French Barron desceded from Louis XIV, whose inner demons have revealed to him the Secret of the Fourth Reich, by which the tiny city-state of Appenzell-von-Kleinmuendingen has catapulted Hitler's Third Molar in a golden casket, into space. The secret of this Casket can only be revealed, by desciphering a Code which can only be found by placing the King James Bible in an online translation service by which every fifth letter is elimenated and words are formed by placing the remaining letters in the cage of a Gorilla captured in the dungeons of Furzwangen-von-Zappelweiler. Through telepathy, Hitler's ghost then reveals the secret formula what will lead to the Molar and drag it down from the capsule that is circling in space. But first, Nasa headquarters must be overthrown and in a breakneck car-chase through the streets of pre-war war-devastated Warsaw, the President of the United States is assasinated by a villain worse, than your worst nightmare.

Mabel Dong

How on earth did this mabel dong "person" get a hold of my plot?!

No really. How?

I mean, apart from Hitler's molar (didn't thinka that one), its like, word for word!

J

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Dear to whom it may consern:

I wrote a book. I know you want to publish it. don't you?

Write me a check and we'll talk business,

yours

Argoff Z.

jordijoy

In pursuit!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandrafoy.blogspot.com
Dear agent,

i've got a book just like so-and-so that you've just gotta read. It's a cross 'tween star trek (the won with Picard) and star wars. I've been rightin' far many years know and i'm reel good ate it. So hit me back and we'll discuse it farther. know stamped envelope, so hit me up on my email-piece out!

sighed/Me

Status
Not open for further replies.