PDA

View Full Version : Excited about a rejection?!?!

nancy sv
08-04-2007, 06:59 AM
OK, I now know what you guys have been talking about... I got a rejection from a publisher, but he took the time to write out a whole page of recommendations - mostly changing the title. He also suggested that I send in photos WITH the query - a travel story like ours need photos. I had never even considered sending in a CD with a query!!

So - I don't have a publisher, but I have a lot of good ideas for the next batch of queries I send out!

Willowmound
08-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Let's hope you've actually taken some photos, then.

(Of course you have. Everyone takes photos. You're all obsessed. The minute anything remotely interesting happens, you look away from it and rumage for that gadget. Nothing beats looking at something when it's no longer there, and you neither. Lucky, that.

I, on the other hand, never take photos. I far prefer being where I am. Experiencing the thing, whatever it is, as it is, right there. But then again, I'm a space alien.

End of bracket. :Ssh: )

Birol
08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Congratulations, Nancy!

Petroglyph
08-06-2007, 07:45 PM
That's great, Nancy! Good luck with the next round of submissions.

{Re: Willowmound's comments, I encourage fathers to allow someone else to video or take pictures of births. I tell them they should witness the births through their eyes, not filtered through a box or a lens. So I agree with you on that part.

But we have a lot of pictures at our house of other things.}

StoryG27
08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Nancy, they don't take time to write personal notes on submissions unless they saw real promise in it. They are way too busy to write out personal rejections for every sub they get, so just that you received some actual individualized feedback is awesome. Congratulations and keep at it!

Willowmound
08-06-2007, 07:53 PM
(I'd venture that fathers should stay in the hallway, pacing anxiously. And when the little rascal's out, share a cigar with the doctor. Ah, to be back in the Fifties...)

nancy sv
08-06-2007, 08:25 PM
I was so excited to get that rejection!! I called my husband in and said, "Listen to what I just got!" He just sat there dumbfounded that I would be that excited!! And yes - we do have photos. My husband will burn a few of them onto a CD so I can send that out.

Willowmound
08-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Not that I know anything about these things, but don't you think maybe it would be better if you printed them? Would a busy editor or agent actually take the time to put the thing in the 'puter, to click, open, browse..?

Or would a few well chosen eye-catchers next to the manuscript work a million times better?

nancy sv
08-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Good point - and one I also thought about. Maybe I should do that - print out a three or four pics to include and mention that I have a CD available with a bunch more...

Birol
08-06-2007, 10:33 PM
The publication's guidelines might mention how they prefer to receive pictures. Different pubs, different editors, different preferences.

nancy sv
08-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Good point. I'll be sure to read what they say. If they don't say, I think I'll print out a couple to send in and mention that I have a CD with more. Sounds like a good approach to me!