Less sleep

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i read this batman comic several years ago, and it almost changed my life.

bruce wayne basically meditated for 3 or 4 hours a day to recharge his batteries, and then he was up fighting crime and running a multi-billion dollar company.

i was really really impressed w that.

but as we all know, he was trained by shaolin monks, so i'm not sure if regular people could do something like this.

are there any shaolin monks here?

if so, do you know how to survive on 3 or 4 hours of sleep?

i've decided that this will help my future.

thank you

Last edited:

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Man, I wish. If anyone can answer this, I wanna hear it.

I heard about a woman in India who sleeps... like, never. She just sits down for an hour or so every day, and it's been something like 17 years since she's slept.

I am so jealous.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, I've always been awed by people who can function well on just a few hours. I only know two people like that and neither can account for the ability.

I'm wildly envious.

I'll be following this thread for tips on how wean myself happily from my eight and a half hour habit. Life's just too damned short for all of that nonsense.

Reaction score
I get four hours' sleep a night if I'm lucky and I've been that way most of my adult life. There's no Shaolin bollocks involved, just insomnia.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Yeah, I've always been awed by people who can function well on just a few hours. I only know two people like that and neither can account for the ability.

I'm wildly envious.

I'll be following this thread for tips on how wean myself happily from my eight and a half hour habit. Life's just too damned short for all of that nonsense.

Considering I am a lifelong insomniac who only GETS 3-6 hours of sleep a night (usually around 4-5), I'm interested to know how people function that way too. I've grown rather...well...tired of constantly BEING tired.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com

bruce wayne basically meditated for 3 or 4 hours a day to recharge his batteries, and then he was up fighting crime and running a multi-billion dollar company.

Bruce Wayne runs around in tights and dresses like A BIG BAT.

Much as I adore the man, you have to think... do you REALLY want to end up like that?

Incidentally, I think there are certain medical conditions in which you don't have to or cannot sleep. People always say that if you don't sleep you go crazy, but I think that's mostly a myth. My mom once had a patient who had been in a car accident where he had significant brain trauma. He had not slept a wink since, and this was years later. My mom asked him what he did at night. He said he did stuff around the house but most of the time he just lay next to his wife in bed and thought about stuff. Apparently it was pretty boring.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
the irony is that i love sleep.

i love my dreams.

but i'm pretty sure there's lots of time wasted until REM kicks in.

i want to jump right into deep sleep and then just jump right out and face the world as a superhero .

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You and I are more I alike than I knew. My dreams are hilarious. And I do a lot of lucid dreaming, so I can stop, rewind, change or abandon a dream altogether.

My body likes sleeping, but my will resents the time spent.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
it's quite possible that you've had a starring role in many of my dreams.

it'd be a shame to miss out on those episodes with the new sleep secrets im about to learn.

:(

Last edited:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Well if you have head trauma or something...yeah then you don't need sleep.

But they've done studies, also there was a man who didn't sleep for a week for a promotion who ended up brain damaged...causes like, personality change, like Phineas Gage and the railroad spike, man.

Now I want to see The Machinist.

Batman AND no sleeping.

Damn Christian Bale is hot.

Reaction score
I don't sleep anymore. I'm an insomniac of mega proportions.

It's a miserable way to go through life.

I will be trying Lunesta shortly.

Last night, I had two beers and it did help me sleep.

I had this dream.

Hand to god.

I was at a wedding and a grown up Chunk from Goonies was there. And he drank too much and went crazy. And the cops were called. And he was arrested. And still being witty even in my dreams, I said to the wedding couple, "You should send everyone party favor T-Shirts saying 'Chunk got arrested at David and Jodi's wedding 8/7/07.'"

Nice.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

i was really really impressed w that.

but as we all know, he was trained by shaolin monks, so i'm not sure if regular people could do something like this.

are there any shaolin monks here?

if so, do you know how to survive on 3 or 4 hours of sleep?

i've decided that this will help my future.

thank you

I currently sleep about 4 hours a day (to bed at 2:00, awake at 6:00).

How do I do it?

a) Take a power nap at lunch, 30 good minutes will do ya.
b) Make sure your 4 hours are good 4 hours.
c) About once every 2 weeks I completely crash. Home at 6:00 pm on a friday night, sleep until Saturday, 2:00 pm or so.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I do not function if I get less than 8 hours. I can go about 4 or 5 days on 7 hours, but then I will end up crashing and taking a three-hour nap.

I wonder if the sleep thing has anything to do with height, build, age, etc?

Well, I know it has to do with age; old people generally need to sleep a lot less.

So if you don't sleep, you must be OLD!!! :p

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Legitimate deep meditation - in which you are thoughtless, but nevertheless resting in full awareness - will reduce the need for sleep, and keep you fresh to face the day.

Caveat: it takes years to get to that stage, and you can't learn it "in order to" need less sleep. Doesn't work that way.

If you want to research it, look up Yoga Nidra.

Last edited:

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
In order to get more writing done, I will go weeks at a time getting 4-5 hours of sleep...and then I take a week or two and 'catch-up', sleeping 6-7 hours. Unfortunately, during those times, I usually wake up after 4-5 hours and struggle to get those last few hours in. When I used to work at the police department, I used to work rotating shifts every week - a couple of first shifts, a couple of seconds and a couple of thirds. Every couple of days, I'd sleep during a different part of the day...so if I put my mind to it, I can do those crazy kinds of sleep shifts and generally function okay for a while...

...but then, with kids, I figure I won't actually be able to sleep well until they are long moved out (and since my youngest is almost 9 months old, well, I'm not holding my breath on that! LOL)

Take care -

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
My mom once had a patient who had been in a car accident where he had significant brain trauma. He had not slept a wink since, and this was years later. My mom asked him what he did at night. He said he did stuff around the house but most of the time he just lay next to his wife in bed and thought about stuff. Apparently it was pretty boring.

I was in a car accident in 2001. I had a head injury that caused me to have anxiety attacks for a while and insomnia from now on. It's truly awful because I like sleep. I usually get about four to six hours a night. I would love to be able to get eight hours. However, I will say that after about a month of not sleeping well, I will usually crash on a Saturday and sleep for about three hours in the afternoon. My problem isn't staying asleep; it's going to sleep.

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
People who sleep fewer hours actually live longer. http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2002/02_08_Kripke.html.

Not only do they get more hours in each day, they get more years too. Not fair. I'm an 8 hours a night girl, and wish I wasn't. Think of all I'd accomplish if I had an extra 2 or 3 hours in my day.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read once that Leonardo da Vinci took a fifteen-minute nap every four hours. I've been curious ever since, but not game to try it.

Maybe this holiday.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I read once that Leonardo da Vinci took a fifteen-minute nap every four hours. I've been curious ever since, but not game to try it.

Maybe this holiday.

Didn't Kramer spend a whole Seinfeld episode trying that? As I recall, it didn't go so well for him...

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
My best friend only sleeps five to four and a half hours a night. I don't know how the hell he does it. He is responsible for a major division of a fortune 500 company. He goes to bed at eleven or so, and is up by 4:30 every morning. He laughs at me for getting drowsy during the day.

I've known him for years, and he's not a fake, that is all he sleeps. Weekends, weekdays, it doesn't matter. Nice for the neighborhood, because he's out there in the wee hours and has called the cops on many a teen vandal.

I'm so jealous.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
People who sleep fewer hours actually live longer. http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2002/02_08_Kripke.html.

Not only do they get more hours in each day, they get more years too. Not fair. I'm an 8 hours a night girl, and wish I wasn't. Think of all I'd accomplish if I had an extra 2 or 3 hours in my day.
Nuts! You stole my thunder, I was gonna tell y'all the same thing. But, you've got the link so... OK