Rejected by Tor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
Title says it all, really. I just got a form rejection on my YA novel. :cry: I will resist the urge to attempt rejectomancy and analyze the wording, the timing, etc. I will I will I will.

Thing is, it came just a day after I got my Rhysling Award Anthology, with my own personal poem (which still looks an awful lot like flashfiction to me) inside it.

The universe is trying to make me bipolar. That's the only explanation.

Izunya

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, it's just one publisher. There's more. Go get one!

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Rejection, to put it simply, sucks. Good for you, though, that you're not going to analyze the heck out of it! Analyzing tends to do more harm than good.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Don't sweat it. Tor is a big time publisher that's swamped by tons of subs - mine included, which was rejected earlier this week (I shared my pain over at the Coffee House). I know how you feel, wanting to get in with a big-time company like Tor. It would be, by far, one of the biggest feathers you could stuff in your cap. Like the others said; don't analyze it. Find another publisher and proudly show off your anthology creds and soon enough, your piece will see print.

Pike

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Tor asked for a full on my first novel, after I sent the partial. My first novel was not good, to put it gently. It had many fantasy cliches, such as worldbuilding in the prologue and a story starting with the main character's birth (and of course he was the typical orphan boy with a great destiny). It was also about 200,000 words long and sucked royally in places. Yet Tor requested a full (but then came to their senses and rejected it).

Now I've improved and submitted much better partials to Tor, for novels which don't have those mistakes, novels which I think are pretty good and as original as possible. Yet have I received any requests for fulls? No. Go figure.

What you and I both did right was to aim high. What we both shall continue to do right is to lick our wounds, keep submitting and keep writing. :)

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I know your pain, I just got two rejections (from agents) today. It stinks. *hands chocolate* < everybody's been giving it to me, and I decided it really helps. (that, or eating your weight in ice cream - this however, can backfire - tummy aches at 2am, backfire)

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Tor is a tough sell, but Susan Chang is a fine editor, just keep pitching away.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the rejection and I agree with the others ... keep subbing. I wish you the best of luck!

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Siddow,

Aw, it's just one publisher. There's more. Go get one!

I read your post but read it:
Aw, it's just one punisher.

I dunno which one is right???? Publisher or punisher??

Kevvers

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
It'll be ok, Izunya, and in the meantime, keep sending out your novel and think chocolate. It takes all your cares away.:)

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it. Tor rejected me too, so I know how ya feel. Would've been nice. But there are other publishers out there. Keep sending the work out until it finds a home. Good luck.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Sorry about the rejection.

I have had my share of rejections from the "big" houses (even with my agent doing the submitting). It is tough out there!

But keep going. Lots more places to go, including smaller houses and independent presses. Absolutely nothing wrong with finding a place there (it's what I'm hoping for, myself :)

Good Luck!

Susan

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Awww... :( I'm sorry. Did they give any suggestions, or was it just a form rejection? Sometimes those suggestions can REALLY make the book a better piece.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about it Izunya. We're holding a stool for you in the Coffee House. You can regale us with your tale of anthology success. :)

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I didn't think posting about it would make me feel better, but it actually did.

Cathy, it was a form rejection. I really didn't expect anything else from Tor, because I read the Nielsen-Hayden blog and have gotten the distinct impression that the Tor slushpile is getting big enough to climb up the Empire State Building and start swatting biplanes. What bugs me is how quickly it came back.

Still, nothing for it but to find another publisher and try again. Probably another big name; I might as well try them first. Wonder if Baen has a YA imprint?

(Wanders off toward google.)

Izunya

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
Me too! Forge, actually. It was the only snail mail submission I've sent out, so the rejection cost real money. OUCH!

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Tor rejects me like every day of my life.

I'm not even really sure what I mean by that. Don't let it get you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.