Gas Prices.....

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Well, I almost had to have some "alone time" when I saw it for $2.55 this morning. :D

Would now be a good time to rub it in that I drive a hybrid?? :D

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been paying $2.99/gallon for diesel all summer long.

Of course, my 50 mpg makes it all okay.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
If you stop to consider that the Exxon up the road has gas at $3.13 right now, regular, and that it is down from $3.27 last week

Well $2.83 and $2.55 seem mighty low.
(Actually the generic gas station just lowered it to $2.81..so I'm going to go fill up.)

I'll buy a hybrid one day...until then I have two fine legs, two healthy arms, and I know where the store is.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I juat got an '01 elantra (love it!) that gets about 32 mpg on the highway. (It still hurts to fill the tank, though....we're still at 2.90 where I am.)

Now we just need to get rid of our big stupid Dakota Sport.....

Salem

query-impaired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Is it okay if I throw in a question about hybrids here? Are the emissions saved from the actual vehicle enough to counter-act all of the emissions now being generated form the electric plants that have to burn more coal to produce electricity for the hybrid car? I want to make sure we're not just trading one source of pollution for another before I invest in a hybrid.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Is it just me or does anyone else "cream their jeans" when they see $2.83?

Actually, I made a quick turn INTO the station I saw at $2.83 this week because I couldn't believe it was that low! It's been over $3 for regular gas where I am for... at least 6 months. For some reason this past week it's been coming down quite a bit.

How bad is it? I was commuting half an hour to a full time job. I quit. We're coming out about even. :)

(Okay not quite that bad, but... gas cost was significant.)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Celebrate by drinking one of those $1.00 bottles of water--you know, the ones that work out to seven or eight dollars per gallon for . . . water. The ones that are just tap water run through a reverse osmosis filter and given a fancy label on its own little plastic bottle.

Last edited:

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Celebrate by drinking one of those $1.00 bottles of water--you know, the ones that work out to seven or eight dollars per gallon for . . . water. The ones that are just tap water run through a reverse osmosis filter and given a fancy label.

Pepsi even makes that disclaimer now. I pay $1 for a 5 gal & bring it to work. It tastes like rusted metal where I work. Gotta love small towns & old buildings. At home it tastes like gas & has nitrates of 80!!

I take it thats a "no" on the jeans creaming? Damn...I should have made this a poll!

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I cheered when gas fell to $2.78/gal for regular. I splurged and got the Premuim. I don't know my exact mileage, but I drove to the shore (approx 120 mi round trip) and back and was only down barely a 1/4 of a tank. And that's with the a/c cranked the whole way home.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Is it okay if I throw in a question about hybrids here? Are the emissions saved from the actual vehicle enough to counter-act all of the emissions now being generated form the electric plants that have to burn more coal to produce electricity for the hybrid car? I want to make sure we're not just trading one source of pollution for another before I invest in a hybrid.

I think it comes out as better than an even trade when you consider the energy it takes to pump oil oit of the ground and refine it.

However I am ready to take issue with E85. Yes, we make it from corn. But corn is a water thirsty, fertilizer hungry plant. And the entire plant is not used, just the two to thre ears that are taken from each plant. I understand corn requires a LOT of nitrogen. If they made E85 out of soy beans, I'd be accepting. Soy beans are nitrogen fixers and they produce more convertable veggies than the same acerage of corn, I believe. Any way you put it, soy plants use less water and less fertilizer and need less intensive cultivation and less of the plant is wasted. I don't even think goats will eat corn stalks.

Celebrate by drinking one of those $1.00 bottles of water--you know, the ones that work out to seven or eight dollars per gallon for . . . water. The ones that are just tap water run through a reverse osmosis filter and given a fancy label on its own little plastic bottle.

Let me get on my soap box:

Back when Aquafina and Dasani came on the market, I kept telling people that they were not SPRING water, but filtered city water. (I'd heard Dasani was Jacksonville Florida Water, and that Aquafina was Passaic NJ water) and that they'd do better to buy a water filter and drink their own tap water. I buy those Rubbermaid bottles and put tap water in them for sports meets or just driving. But I was being weird..especially when those bottles at the store are only 79 cents. I even demonstrated to a friend how much he was spending on bottled tap water as opposed to what the water company charged. I got laughed out of the place.

Now I get a lecture on how bad bottled water is from those same people.

***Climbs off soap box***
Yes..I am guilty of buying bottled water on occasion. I like to keep a six pack or two hidden for an emergency. If 6 monts goes by without an emergency..the bots go in lunches ( and my kids know to bring them home and refill them as many times as possible) and I buy a new dozen to sit and wait for that emergency.

The empty bottles can also be filled with juice or milk during trips.

Uh, gas. Yes.

At $3.00 we're lucky. Just wait til someone other than an American chimes in on the gas prices in their country. Looking at horror stories in the making.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading to the ABC store on the way home just now. I'll let you know later how much the new mint version of Baileys Irish Cream costs (a little bedtime sippy).