Self-Destructive Traffic Magnet

Vanhoven

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't get a chance to introduce myself with the first thread I posted before it was shut down with with almost 400 views and 36 posts in less than two days. I'm a Traffic Magnet. There may be a few of you that have actually heard of Vanhoven in heated discussions from other screenwriting websites. Obviously I have a extensive background in screenwriting that I use to start dicussions on the boards that immediately draw responses and views to a thread. At first, the moderators and especially the owner of the site, love me. They say, who the hell is this Vanhoven, he got 500 hits and 50 responses in that thread the other day? Did you read any of it, the moderator responds. No, says the owner. Pretty interesting stuff. I'm very good at bringing in the traffic, which is why I'm called a traffic magnet. But with any open discussion with different viewpoints and opinions flying around you're bound to get conflict. This is where my self-destructive persona comes into play, that often puts the modertors into a dilema. Christ, did you see what he said to that chick, yeah that's way over the line. Yeah, but our membership is up 20% over the last month. Give him a warning--but oh don't make it sound like you're mad at him, okay. And then the line is shifted, where exactly is the line that you step over to get booted from the site? I can't believe he said that. Yeah, but it's Vanhoven, the sites been thriving. Where do you balance conflict and possible flame wars against doubling the membership to your site in a short span? Just something to think about. However, my posts are funny and interesting so take them for what they are worth.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Welcome to Absolute Write.

The #1 rule around here is "respect your fellow writer." Whenever threads go wrong 'cause folks start sniping at each other, they tend to get locked.

There's a point where funny and interesting can suddenly become unfunny and tedious. This could be one of them. Eh, everybody's a critic.

-Derek

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And then the line is shifted, where exactly is the line that you step over to get booted from the site?

I don't know about AW, but with some sites it's when the God complex kicks in.

Jerm

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.. kinda of a odd intro.. but welcome. As I read your post the first thing that came to mind was the scene from the clint eastwood movie Heartbreak Ridge.. I'll just say, "RECON!!!!!"

javili

Registered
Reaction score
However, my posts are funny and interesting

That's good to know. So few people straighten us out on such matters.

You sound very much like somebody who does "business" with Anthony SanFillipo

zagoraz

Registered
Reaction score
I guess if you can't be a chick magnet, being a traffic magnet is the next best thing. I'm perplexed nonetheless.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Generally speaking, when I'm a newcomer to a web community, I look at all of the forum names before deciding where to post.

A post like yours here doesn't happen to have one single iota of value as a screenwriting post, so it's difficult to believe that you paid any attention to your surroundings. If you had, you'd maybe have posted this one in the "new people saying howdy" forum.

For the record, 500 hits and 50 posts in a single thread in a day is a slow thread for AW. There are true messageboarding professionals here, and you're pure bush-league.

Look me up when you hit the majors.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't get a chance to introduce myself with the first thread I posted before it was shut down with with almost 400 views and 36 posts in less than two days. I'm a Traffic Magnet. There may be a few of you that have actually heard of Vanhoven in heated discussions from other screenwriting websites. Obviously I have a extensive background in screenwriting that I use to start dicussions on the boards that immediately draw responses and views to a thread. At first, the moderators and especially the owner of the site, love me. They say, who the hell is this Vanhoven, he got 500 hits and 50 responses in that thread the other day? Did you read any of it, the moderator responds. No, says the owner. Pretty interesting stuff. I'm very good at bringing in the traffic, which is why I'm called a traffic magnet. But with any open discussion with different viewpoints and opinions flying around you're bound to get conflict. This is where my self-destructive persona comes into play, that often puts the modertors into a dilema. Christ, did you see what he said to that chick, yeah that's way over the line. Yeah, but our membership is up 20% over the last month. Give him a warning--but oh don't make it sound like you're mad at him, okay. And then the line is shifted, where exactly is the line that you step over to get booted from the site? I can't believe he said that. Yeah, but it's Vanhoven, the sites been thriving. Where do you balance conflict and possible flame wars against doubling the membership to your site in a short span? Just something to think about. However, my posts are funny and interesting so take them for what they are worth.

I've never heard of 'Vanhoven'. You profess to an extensive background in screenwriting. Have you written any screenplays I might have heard of? I'm dying to find out!

How far would your self-destructive persona go? I mean, like, would you ever self-destruct, do you think? It'd make for a good script! :D

BTW - your post was not funny. Really. Not even a titter. From me or my dog. It was however interesting in its display of self-aggrandisement, which I understand is normally linked to an inferiority or persecution complex. ;)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Glad to see everyone is welcoming a fellow screenwriter to the board! Keep up the good work!

-Derek

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Dear God, not another Gordon Jerome...er, I mean welcome. Please do not take on the "god" complex. We aren't here for hits, we aren't here for attention, we are here to learn and help each other.

Want to contribute to that? Then please, by all means. But please don't be another spotlight poster who's only concern is "Look at me."

scripter1

Article Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Kitchen table, parked in front of the computer.
Ah D,

you know we only attack those we love!

Warmest AW welcome Van.
I look forward to more of your incredibly funny posts and to watching the excitement your traffic magnet personality brings to this site.

First drink's on me.

zagoraz

Registered
Reaction score
If you re-read the original post and pretend that Owen Wilson is saying it, it's much more amusing. There's something about that drawl.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
So .... the OP is basically saying:

"Hi! I am a poster who is guaranteed to cause controversy in this forum community! I will offend other posters! I will upset other posters! And I fully admit that I suffer from an unstable personality which can be best described as self-destructive!"

Welcome!

:gone: :gone: :gone:

*backs away slowly*
:gone: :gone: :gone:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
hmm....I don't normally pop in here that much, but I was told there was something really funny in here....

Oh.

*big grin* Welcome to AW--hope you have as much fun here as everyone else does. Of course, I LURVE self-destructive traffic magnets so I bid you a most cordial welcome!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
36 posts is not traffic. It's like a four way stop out in BFE.

But anyway. :welcome:

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome back Gordon-the Memorial Can awaits and has not moved!

Last edited:

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
The best strategy might be to create your own board. Being a "traffic magnet" you could pay for your bandwidth with Google AdSense alone.

Buy Vbulletin here.

Find a good web host.

You won't have to worry about being banned because it will be your board.

Because of the huge influx of traffic you will be on Big Boards in no time.

When you headline on Foxnews, CNN, & the BBC for over 24 straight hours then sell your board and retire.

The question I have is why didn't you think of that?

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
I think, for maximum effect, OP's post could be read aloud in the style of Ben Stiller in either Zoolander or Dodgeball.

Welcome Van Halen. I loved 'Jump.' :)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome, Van. I like the fast moving threads, so long as they stay cool. This is the only board I have ever belonged to (I don't count Gather, because I just did that for the contest.), and I have found this to be a wonderful community.

But they won't hesitate to jump your **** if you mess up, which I have done occationally, as dpat can attest.

We have a few guys and gals who can keep up. I'll keep a weather eye out for you and be sure to include Rob, BoP, Haskins, Tour d F, Haggis, Dawno, OFG, Blacbird, Spooky, and Aruna in on the fun. That should be a blast. Dclary, Plot, Soccer, Hill, davids, and Ice are already prepped I see. Dpat's always a great addition. I left out so many. Javili's pretty new, but he seems to hold his own quite well.

RT provides comic relief.

So this seems like a good start.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
With Leonard Nimoy flexing his ears! He also does great voice over! Now Gordon just come on over-the world awaits your flexed thrust!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Hmm.. kinda of a odd intro.. but welcome. As I read your post the first thing that came to mind was the scene from the clint eastwood movie Heartbreak Ridge.. I'll just say, "RECON!!!!!"

He strikes me more of Stitch Jones than Profile, man.