Her POV. His POV. We all got a blankety-blank POV!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyRabbit

Registered
Reaction score
I worked for a bit (as long as I could afford) this summer with an editor on part of my latest manuscript. I've had books published, but I wanted to fine tune my writing and apparently one of my big issues is POV. I really worked hard on straightening out that business, but now I have a question concerning POVs and editor opinion.

In the manuscript I am about to begin, I wanted to start with a side character (not the hero or heroinne) and his POV of the hero. Actually, this is one of my favorite things to do, building on the fact I believe a lot of real people are harder on themselves than their friends.... Rather, this said character is going to give us a quick insight into my hero not being the cold-hearted figure he might appear in the next scene. Now, this side guy has a reason for meeting with the hero and it ties directly into the hero getting to the next place. He's not just walking up to him and saying, "I like you, Frank. You are nice."

BUT, I can also start the story with the hero in said place and just leave Sidey and that scene out.

So what does everyone think? Can it just be a matter of author taste, to throw in another POV (as long as she's not doing so willy-nilly), in the fashion I mentioned?

This is a big question for me, because on the manuscript I worked on with that editor I cut out the prologue because she said it was unnecessary and came from the villains POV. I thought it gave the novel an exciting beginning and may change it back to what it was, depending on what I hear here.

Thanks!

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it might be disconcerting to start with a side character you never return to.

I probably wouldn't mind it at first -- especially if it's done well -- but once I got into the book I might begin wondering, What happened to that first fellow, the one who opened this whole thing?

The genre you're working in might make a difference. I don't think it's something I would do in a thriller, but the POVs in thrillers are normally pretty streamlined. However, you do see things like that sometimes in fantasy and science-fiction (mostly fantasy? I'm thinking of George R.R. Martin) novels.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Rather, this said character is going to give us a quick insight into my hero not being the cold-hearted figure he might appear in the next scene

This is just a variation on telling instead of showing (and it also ruins your rising conflict/tension by giving everything away). You're bringing on a puppet to tell the reader what you'd have to show otherwise. If the reader doesn't know or care about the character who's giving an opinion, the reader has no reason to believe his opinion. If the reader sees the hero acting cold-hearted, that "showing" won't be outweighed by some random person having said he was a real softy.

Instead, show the reader that he's a softy. Or let the reader think he's cold-hearted and wonder about it for a bit before you show he's really a softy. Why give away all the tension by announcing to the reader: he's not as bad as he seems. If you're going to portray him as cold, and you're not in his pov, sharing his emotions that justify his behavior, then use that behavior to ramp up the tension and make the reader worry. Worry = good, when it comes to storytelling. Let him be cold, let the reader worry about the ramifications of his being cold, and then, clue by clue, show the reader that he's not so cold, or he has good reasons for it. Perhaps the secondary character (who was going to tell the reader the hero is a good guy) could, instead, show through his actions (therefore never having to go into the secondary character's pov) that the hero has some goodness in his depths. For instance, the secondary character has a stutter, and the hero helps him to cover up his embarrassment when he struggles with a word. Showing that sort of thing is much more effective than having the secondary character think "he's a good guy who never makes fun of my stutter, even when everyone else does."

JD

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
You can do it any way you want, but there's a price to pay. In this case, you're starting with a character that the reader won't be vested in and may not stick with your story. If your story is compelling enough it might be okay, but at first blush it sounds like a band-aid. Why not just tell if from the POV of the character with the most interesting problems?

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
It's OK to let your hero seem cold-hearted. Makes it all the more interesting (and challenging) to reveal that he isn't what he seems. :D

Character redemption rocks.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I hate being inside the head of a character who then deserts me. It's okay to use different POV, but I would go with option B: Just give us the important scene with hero being turkey and then show us that he isn't really a turkey.

Simon Woodhouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwoodhouse.com
I try to have as few POV characters as possible. This does make the writing process more challenging, but in the end I think the story benefits. The POV changes adopt a rhythm and allow the reader to concentrate on what's happening, without having to suddenly shift sideways and see the world through a new pair of eyes.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
POV

I agree with Jan here. You can either have a side character come on and tell us about the main character, or you can actually have the main character do things that show us what kind of person he is.

SpookyRabbit

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I actually just had to send off the first chapters of this manuscript to an agent, and I did. Chapters 1-3, sans prologue, due to your tips. So may it be on your heads if the agent writes back a rejection letter.... "If only this had a prologue...I would sign you, get you a gazillion dollar book deal, make you more famous than The Beatles, and hook you up with Johnny Depp."

I enjoy watching a character develop as a better person (i.e. non-turkey) than at first believed in stories I read, and never before thought about my prologue stealing away from all that good stuff...POV points aside.

And I certainly don't want to be a wiener writer who wants an easy out in character development.

Yes, character redemption does rock,

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.