PDA

View Full Version : Asked to send "pages" - a question

Lavinia
08-02-2007, 02:30 AM
I just returned from a writer's conference. At the conference I was asked by an agent and an editor to send a certain number of pages of my manuscript. My question is this; Do I just send the pages with a cover letter? What about the prologue? What about the chapter titles? Would it be presumptious to send my book proposal too?

Thanks in advance,

Karen L. Alaniz

underthecity
08-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Karen,

I'd advise to send them what they asked for. You will send a cover letter with the sample pages, and the letter will be a "reminder" that you were requested to send them. Don't send a full proposal just yet, but I might suggest that in your cover letter, you include a one-page proposal synopsis--just a brief breakdown of the book. This is assuming that at the conference, you told them about your book, giving them a "verbal proposal," if you will.

On the outside of the envelope, write "Requested material."

allen

ritinrider
08-02-2007, 06:54 PM
what he said. since underthecity answered your question all that's left for me to say is congratulations.:)

Congratulations, see you did good at the conference. Guess you found those staples you needed.

Lavinia
08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks to both of you! I'll do it. And the staples...well, I cannot tell how I came about a stapler...it involves illegal activity...haha!

Thanks again,

Karen Fisher-Alaniz

atthebeach
08-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Congrats! Yep, just send exactly what pages the agent asked for, and let them request the full proposal later. Definitely include a cover letter, and I agree to include a one page synopsis, or for practical nf, a table of contents.

JAG4584
08-03-2007, 09:00 PM
This is a great post as the agents asking for a proposal seem to me that they are more serious or that this is more traditional than say asking for just pages. Any thoughts.

Prevostprincess
08-06-2007, 02:42 AM
Lavinia,
Congratulations!
Can you tell us about the pitch sessions and the group editor sessions or did you already post that in a different thread?