Writing through Jell-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Arggg! I am stuck in a thick bog of writer’s sludge!

I am a total dialogue writer who occasionally throws in some description between character conversations. Right now, I am building up to the main conflict between good vs. evil and the possible destruction of the world. (If everything doesn’t go right) And now it is time for my characters to take action, with lots of horrific visual effects, and battles.

Problem is I am lacking the “feel” of what is going on. (Building suspense, creating that sense of doom etc..) I just don’t think I am doing it justice. Plus I am a mom, and I’m hosting relatives who have been popping in and out during the last month, so I haven’t had a chance to dedicate any real time to hunker in a corner, and get it all out on paper. So it has been difficult to keep the momentum going.

Has anyone else had these similar experiences, and if so, what did you do to overcome it? Besides Tolkien, are there any really good epic battles that you have read that could provide me with some style ideas?
Finally, how do you get in-laws out of the house? ☺ Just kidding.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I get to those BAM scenes I like to either watch a movie with a massive exciting scene or listen to the soundtrack of a movie that had a scene like that. For me, it really helps me get into the moment and the scheme of things and then, when I write my own scene, I think it sounds so much better and it seems to flow.

And getting in-laws out. Hmm...maybe you can ask your kids (assuming you have more than one) to act out an intense apocalyptic battle scene. I'm sure they'd love it, and you in-laws just might decide that a hotel seems nice...

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Ooo! Movies! Yes, if anyone has any good movie battle scenes to recommend, feel free to share those too! (IE, King Arthur, Troy, Braveheart, and Last of the Mohicans, or even sci-fi stuff) Thanks reenkam!

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
End battle of The Last Samurai is pretty hardcore intense.

Gladiator? :D

Immerse yourself in whatever media can help you envision the scene--movies, articles, photos...it all helps. I was having terrible problems envisioning the setting of my second WIP until I googled "mediterranean marine life"...suddenly I know EXACTLY what the setting looks like, from a handful of pictures.

Last edited:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Whew! Made it through the battle scene! That was a lot of fun to write! But unfortunately, all the late nights writing has resulted in a head cold! Bleh! So now my creativity is being influenced by DayQuil.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well...I was about to suggest that you watch "From Dusk Till Dawn."

But you've got a headcold, and the sudden arrival of several hundred Mexican vampire zombies might make it a bit worse. Congrats on getting through the fight scene.

Fight scenes are the hardest to write. It's basically, "Fire" they fire. "Fire!" they fire. "Fire again!" And they fired again. Torpedoes flew everywhere and everyone died.

Snorarific, if you get my meaning.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
You'll be happy to know that there were no guns. Just wraiths, phantoms, and elves with daggers. (You know; your typical fight scene.) :)

Thanks for the movie suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.