what's in a query when email is different?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wading through some of the stuff and maybe found an agent to query, but noticed the email guidelines just say, "send a query...we will not open attachments...", whereas the snailmail has an extended list of things to send unsolicited (fist 50 pages, synopsis, cv, SASE etc).

I prefer email and obvioulsy an email without attachments can not contain the same bulk of information as a snailmail package. So do I simply send a couple sentence email and ask if their website is still current on them accepting queries regarding fantasy novels and just a sentence explaining who I am and then send more only if they request it?

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
If they accept equeries, email your query letter to them, just as if you were snail-mailing it to them. Some will ask you to post a certain number of pages in the body of the email below the letter; some want only the letter. Then if they want to see more, they'll write back.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I would send a full query letter, just like you'd mail, and paste the first five pages into the body of the email, below the letter. Worst case: they reject you. Best case: they're iffy on the letter but fall totally in love with your writing.

If you think you stand a better chance through snail mail, go that route. Sure, it takes longer, but you spent a lot of time writing the book. What's another hour on prepping the submission package?

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, ok, I'll confess. I agree with Siddow but didn't want to encourage nonconformity to agent rules. I always post pages in the equery. I have a line to the effect of "I have pasted the first five pages below should you wish to review a sample of the writing."

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
?????????

When sending a chapter through e-mail but you can't attach it, do you still need to go through and manually double space each line?

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I think agents are more lenient about email formatting because it comes up different depending on what program you're using. And even if it doesn't come up double spaced, they'll could just copy and paste it into a document and double space there. But, I think if you copy when something's double spaced, it'll paste in the email double spaced, too. Sometimes.

I wouldn't manually do it, though, because then the lines could turn out weird if the font changed or font size changed.

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Reenkam.

Although, whenever I copy and paste from word into an e-mail, it always seems to come out strange.