Berlin in the late 80s/v. early 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
I've never set foot in Berlin, but in my WIP there's a scene set in Berlin the weekend the Wall came down. Can anyone here give me some local color, places to go, details about how people were reacting (especially Germans--there were thousands of non-Germans in town to check out the Historic Moment of the Wall coming down, but I don't know how actual Germans felt and can't look it up easily because I don't read German and my one German friend was too young).

Thoughts?? Help??

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
East Germans were elated. Imagine it as if a few hundred thousand Mexicans were waiting for the wall to come down between the dirty, run-down, falling apart Mexico (East Berlin) and the glittering, shiny, filled-with-hope-and-new-things America (West Berlin, and, by extension, all glorious things both western and modern).

West Germans on the other hand, well, their elation was tempered by knowing that they were going to absorb a large collection of low-skilled, less-educated workers, as well as a bunch of rotting infrastructure, and that it was going to sack the economy. (At least some older generation Germans felt this way.)

Reunification of Germany, then, was good and wonderful in terms of filling up the hole in the middle of the national doughnut (figuratively speaking), quite literally putting families back together again, and in terms of putting back together the once-sundered former (and now again) capital.

During the Reagan years, by the way, he was despised, American politics were despised, and American politics in Germany, in particular, were despised, especially those politics relating to American military presence there. Kind of like now. Never mind that the American military and political stance in Germany had a lot to do with the dismantling of that wall. (Just ask Gorbachev.)

It seems, though, that if you were there when the wall came down, twas something of a festive mood, at least for the younger and politically active crowd in the west. As for the Easterners, they were choking all exits from East Berlin back on November 9, 1989, after an official announcement by Günter Schabowski, the East German Minister of Propaganda, seemed to say they were free to go. Parties followed. In fact, there was much cheering and celebrating and whoop-de-do from the world of musicians, many of whom wanted to share that stage with that historic event, and did.

Don't know much more, as I wasn't there then, these memories plucked from visits when there was still a wall and later when there was not, still other memories plucked from recollected conversations with those who lived there then, and some who still do now.

As for color, the Brandenburg gate is perhaps the most well-recognized relic in the city -- and perhaps useful in this context, too, because it's where Reagan famously asked Gorbachev to tear down the wall -- and it's only about a block from the Reichstag on one side and even closer to the Russian, British, and U.S. embassies on the other.

If I come up with something more interesting and specific, I'll post something else. By the way, if you go there now, in places where the wall used to stand, you'll often find a line of bricks or concrete slashing right through sidewalks, streets, pavement, commemorating what was once there, and when it went away...

Penguin Queen

Break the rules.
Registered
Reaction score
Cardiff. Berlin. Mars. (One day.) Buenos Aires, so
Website
www.herrad.net
West Germans on the other hand, well, their elation was tempered by knowing that they were going to absorb a large collection of low-skilled, less-educated workers, as well as a bunch of rotting infrastructure, and that it was going to sack the economy. (At least some older generation Germans felt this way.)

I'm not sure that this was true at the time; certainly later on - by West Germans of all ages - but I think around the actual 9 of November when it was opened and East Germans poured through into the West, the mood was mostly elation on both sides. At the time, the speed of collapse of the DDR (East Germany) and indeed the Sovyet Union & the entire Eastern Bloc was unforseeable. I think most poeple at the time assumed that, at least for a few years more, both states would continue side by side, but with open borders. Sure reunification was in the air, but it was only a few months since East Germans had besieged the West German embassy in Hungary & been allowed to journey out. At the time, the East German government looked pretty solid.

Oh, and re. your parallel with

dirty, run-down, falling apart Mexico (East Berlin) and the glittering, shiny, filled-with-hope-and-new-things America

-- of course if was about material things too, but it wasnt just that. It really was, for a few days and weeks, about freedom, and ideals, and making connections with the other side. Poeple both sides of the wall (but esp. the East) had been kept apart for four decades.

@Ideagirl, if you can get hold of the film "Good-bye Lenin", I'm pretty certain that it contains some footage from 9 November 1989. And it's just a fabulous film.
Also, try YouTube, most things seem to be on there & I shouldnt be at all surprised if there wasnt a clip or two from that night.

I totally agree re Brandenburg Gate as location -- so hugely symbolic.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it. The worries about economic wreckage occurring as a result of absorbing the ruins of the east were those of a German uncle who spoke about this during those days. Seemed to me a case of, "Oh joy, but what's the downside?" (As far as I recall, the German side of my family were all in the west. Could be wrong. But it may say something about such thoughts.)

The clearer way to pin the mood, though, may simply be with the word I left out: Freiheit. After all, the fall of the Berlin wall was, at the heart of matters, an issue of freedom for Germans on both sides of it.

I totally agree re Brandenburg Gate as location -- so hugely symbolic.

Yep, and it has an interesting history in terms of co-opted symbolism, especially since it was originally designed to be a monument to peace and subsequently found itself in three different wars (four, if you count the Cold War).

Thought Leadership

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TLIRGroup.com
I've never set foot in Berlin, but in my WIP there's a scene set in Berlin the weekend the Wall came down. Can anyone here give me some local color, places to go, details about how people were reacting (especially Germans--there were thousands of non-Germans in town to check out the Historic Moment of the Wall coming down, but I don't know how actual Germans felt and can't look it up easily because I don't read German and my one German friend was too young).

Thoughts?? Help??

I was stationed in WB for close to two years, one of my duties involved guarding Rudolf Hess in Spandau prison. Something that struck me during my time there - the West Berliners were fatalistic, low morale, preferred sins of all types since they probably thought tomorrow would be their last day... quite a depressing sight for what was supposedly the free zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.