Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I saw this news item on romance blog DearAuthor this morning:
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007/07/30/james-frey-may-have-lied-but-oprah-has-bad-manners/

The editor of James Frey's _A Million Little Pieces_ gave a talk at a conference where she said she had nothing to apologize about concerning the publication of Fry's _A Million Little Pieces_ (which came under criticism when it was revealed much of his memoir was fictionalized) but that *Oprah* had lots to apologize for because she was rude.

Uhm, sure, whatever. Yes, I'll admit Oprah blew a gasket during that show. But for the editor to act as if she and Frey are blameless, and say the only one who did anything wrong was Oprah?... Riiiight. :tongue

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
*chuckles*

yep - Oprah's such a horrible person...

*snickers*

She didn't say Oprah was a horrible person. Let's not get dramatic here.

Personally, I thought Oprah was rude. After having defended him when it first came out that "A Million Little Peices" was fabricated, she looked insincere. It seemed like she was trying to act hurt just to prevent a backlash against her.

I liked what Stephen King had to say about it:

Did Oprah come out of her bout with Frey unmarked? Each viewer will judge for himself, but I was made uncomfortable by how many times I heard her say he ''embarrassed'' her. In the book world, Ms. Winfrey is a person of great power. The unstated warning of her cool and methodical dismantling of James Frey seems to have been Embarrass the Book Queen and the Book Queen will get you back double, in front of millions...and your editor, too.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1155752,00.html

But yes, I agree with Anne. I think the editor is trying to avert blame from herself. Oprah's rudeness should be the last thing on her mind.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
That was the most painful show to watch. That was a woodshed beating. I felt bad for Frey and Talese, so much so that I sent a letter to Oprah as soon as the show was over.

She was rude. She could have just made a statement at the start of a show and never had them on for a public flogging, but no, she went the classless way and brought them out to be dressed and quartered. Made me sick.

The thing is, I don't think Oprah did that for benefit of the viewers. I think it was a totally selfish move on her part ("How DARE you embarrass the OPRAH! Off with their heads!").

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
You do realize that she has a team who track every mention of her name on the Internet, research the IP addresses, and make sure anyone who criticizes her will never be published. Those already published will find their books removed from major chains.

Which I think is perfectly reasonable. I love Oprah.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're right, Siddow, though I don't feel too sorry for Frey and Talese.

Reaction score
I prefer the Million Little Fibres episode of South Park, starring the wonderful Towellie.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Was she really harsh? Yeah. But I don't know what Frey expected to happen when he returned to that show, or that he deserved much better. He and his editor were content to let her wield her incredible power over the public when it suited their purpose, so IMHO they don't have a whole lot of room to complain now.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Tell big-time lies, suffer big-time consequences.

It's not nice to fool Mother Karma. :)

I wish I believed in karma.

Oh, hang on - no, I don't.:D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oprah was totally just doing a CYA. (who wouldn't though?)

But I didn't feel sorry for Frey and Talese. You reap what you sow.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
What was up, though, with Oprah accusing Frey of making up the names of the other folks in rehab? Of course he's going to change the names. It was like she was reaching for the smallest things: "But you really had lunch at 12:30, not noon, didn't you, Mr. Frey? And wasn't it, in fact, burgers and not fish sticks? Hmm?"

I really don't see what the big deal is about embellishing his memoir. I thought it was fantastic, I mean, come on, the dude was in rehab! I thought it was an honest portrayal of what it is like to be in that position (having been there myself), and I can forgive a few fallacies in the telling of the tale.

I really wish Frey would have just said, "I was effed up. What do you want from me?!"

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
While I think that Oprah is pretty incredible and does some amazing things, I think she has completely forgotten what it is like to be a Normal Human Being.

And I think Talese should have spoken up sooner. Much sooner.

Oh, and Frey is still a liar.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Was she really harsh? Yeah. But I don't know what Frey expected to happen when he returned to that show

Well, she stood by him at first...if people had not gotten so upset over it, I doubt she ever would have done what she did. It was to cover her own ass, not because she had any issue with it herself.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I saw this news item on romance blog DearAuthor this morning:
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007/07/30/james-frey-may-have-lied-but-oprah-has-bad-manners/

The editor of James Frey's _A Million Little Pieces_ gave a talk at a conference where she said she had nothing to apologize about concerning the publication of Fry's _A Million Little Pieces_ (which came under criticism when it was revealed much of his memoir was fictionalized) but that *Oprah* had lots to apologize for because she was rude.

Uhm, sure, whatever. Yes, I'll admit Oprah blew a gasket during that show. But for the editor to act as if she and Frey are blameless, and say the only one who did anything wrong was Oprah?... Riiiight. :tongue
My personality would react the same way. You embarrass me, especially one with power who promotes your book, and I have NO PROBLEM embarrassing you. I saw that interview and Frey looked like an idiot for going on there unprepared. HE knew what questions Oprah was going to ask, yet he had no response and either did the editor. I had no sympathy for him. In my opinion, Frey and his editor looked pathetic which reflected the true accounts of the book and lack of research on the editor’s part.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Oprah

Oprah wasn't nearly rude enough, and this editor is just trying to cover her own ass.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why Frey and Talese agreed to go back on Oprah's show. They must have known what was coming. She could have reamed them out all she wanted but would have had much less impact if they hadn't agreed to appear. Without their appearance, the story wouldn't have had the legs it did.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought the Oprah interview was really funny? She was so self-righteous. He was so uncomfortable. Hey, actions have consequences. There may not be any sort of author jail, but he still had to pay a little for his lies. Everybody does, sooner or later.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Am I the only one who thought the Oprah interview was really funny? She was so self-righteous. He was so uncomfortable. Hey, actions have consequences. There may not be any sort of author jail, but he still had to pay a little for his lies. Everybody does, sooner or later.

Oh, if only there were an author jail... I have such a long list.

Status
Not open for further replies.