Help! What does a managing editor do?

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure this is the right place to put this question, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm currently hunting for a new job (as with most writers, I don't exactly pay the bills just from my writing). Anyway, I was glancing through a listing online of jobs and came across an ad for a job as a Managing Editor for a small Jewish newspaper (for the record, I'm Jewish and an ordained rabbi, so I have that part down without a problem). Totally on a lark, I sent in a resume. I said to myself, "I'm a published author and when I was a kid I dreamed of being a journalist, so why not?"

To my utter astonishment, they want to interview me this Friday. I'm supposed to be talking (via telephone since they are in another state) with the director of the Jewish Federation there and I think it was the either the Editor-in-Chief or the Managing Editor of the local general interest newspaper.

Now I honestly don't believe I have a prayer of actually landing this job. The only journalistic experience I ever had was editor-in-chief of my high school newspaper and yearbook and a feature columnist for my college newspaper. I've sold one story so far and have a blog which has been up for a few months. I've written dozens of stories and editorials and one complete novel (plus started several others, so far unpublished, but I've submitted several stories).

That said, I don't want to look like a complete idiot when I interview with these people on Friday, so any advice on what a managing editor does (as opposed to an editor-in-chief, or are they the same thing?) would be helpful.

My guess is that managing editor is responsible for day-to-day operations, making sure stories are covered and get out smoothly and doing occasional proofing of stories and layout, but I could be wrong.

Like I said, applying for the job was a lark. I didn't actually expect to be called for an interview, but you know what they say: "Be careful what you wish for. You may get it."

Thanks again for any information.

Eric

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
A bit more than that, actually. Here's the duties listed in an advertisement for a Minnesota based paper. Since your's is a smaller paper, it might be more or less, but probably at least 80% of this. At least, according to my nephew, who has been a copy editor for a variety of papers:

Manage semiweekly and weekly print and electronic news related newspaper operations. Provide the necessary leadership, direction, training, and motivation to assigned personnel to maximize the productivity of our resources and serve our customers. Implement long term strategic plans to improve editorial content and grow circulation. Facilitate coordination of content improvement and share initiatives with regional sister newspapers. Research and benchmark the delivery of content across electronic platforms, determine which content categories most effectively build traffic and share recommendations with sister newspapers. Represent the newspaper in the communities served by the newspapers with planned subscriber, non-subscriber, and news source interaction. Establish clear and measurable high standards of excellence and assure that they are achieved.

Good luck!

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Well for the record, here is the ad for the job I'm supposed to interview for (sans the name of the newspaper, etc.):

Dynamic individual needed to lead biweekly newspaper. --------------, a 10,000 circulation, non-profit newspaper, published by --------------, seeks a highly organized strategic thinker.

The successful candidate must have strong communication skills, 2-4 years of relevant experience and be familiar with web-based as well as print publishing.

Not much to go on from this ad. The ad you provided gives me a little more information at least. . .thanks.

Eric